New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

Anyone had a dog shipped?

I am in Florida and want to ship my GSD to California.
Has anyone shipped a dog/pet before?
What is the best and the most convenient way?
I want to know how the experience went: approximate time and cost, etc..
I work 7 days a week and go to school 5 days a week and don't have time to take care of my dog.
      10-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
I am in Florida and want to ship my GSD to California.
Has anyone shipped a dog/pet before?
What is the best and the most convenient way?
I want to know how the experience went: approximate time and cost, etc..
I work 7 days a week and go to school 5 days a week and don't have time to take care of my dog.
You have to put them on a plane - and they charge you cargo instead of luggage if you are not on the flight with them. Can be pretty expensive.

As for cost, what I paid 20 years ago is certainly not the same as today. Transported from Seattle to Florida with me on a flight for ~$100 20 years ago. Shipping cargo from Dallas to Florida was ~$300 and shipping as luggage Dallas to Florida was ~$100.

Years ago it was cheaper if you skirted the system. You purchased a ticket and paid the small amount extra to have them checked (in kennel) as luggage. Checked in at Airport and never got on plane - returning the ticket for a refund later. Obviously, you needed someone to show up at baggage claim at the destination to pick them up when the plane arrived. However 9/11 matching of passenger and luggage put an end to that method.

Quite frankly I am surprised they allow them to still be shipped Cargo after 9/11.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-options.html
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
It's about $300. My dog came from New Mexico as a puppy and we picked her up at the cargo desk at LaGuardia.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I flew from Germany with my dog. There are special considerations you need to take, such as temperature, time outside waiting to load on the plane, etc. Some airlines won't fly the dog if it's too warm that day, because they can be outside waiting to load for a few hours. Same for bad weather, i.e. storms or snow. Something to think about.

The "ticket" for the dog cost almost as much as my ticket did (about $500), however that does not include the other bills I incurred. I am almost certain that was because it was international though, so it may be cheaper for you. The dog is also an 80 lb Irish Setter, so it's no small animal. The cost goes up with weight and size.

If you're shipping it alone, then look up some of the cargo flights. They probably offer different deals. I only know what my personal experience was.
      10-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

^ that's not bad at all.
the lowest I was quoted is $700 and the highest $1300