New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
TheBat-Dad
Canada
Rep
Drives: SS 1LE

What model would you suggest for a rookie?

Hello Bimmerpost,

Tl;dr version: What bmw (model and year) would you recommend for someone who has never owned a performance car?

Background:
I love driving, but have only ever owned compacts (Mazda protege 5, and mazda 3 currently), and a wicked '96 purple dodge grand caravan (the hotbox). I have a lot of miles under my belt, especially highway, so I consider myself a pretty decent driver at high speeds. I have always wanted a fast sports car, and now I have the cash and means to do so.

BMW's have always caught my eye, and they are regarded as the ultimate driving machine. But based on everything I have read, the current bimmers don't seem to bring home the cheddar. I am more interested in a previous gen version as it seems everyone on these forums (and in the press) constantly harps on bmw as having lost their way, so I am more interested in finding that era that seems to be held up to godlike status like a grizzly chuck norris riding on a horse made of bacon.

A couple caveats:
1) I don't know how to drive a manual. Yea I know, I am what's wrong with the auto industry now-a-days, I am ruining it for the rest of us, etc. etc. Spare me. By no means am I opposed to manuals, but I just never needed to learn so it didn't happen. I likely will learn someday but it can't be on this car.

2) Fuel efficiency. I know this is probably a deal killer for older bmw's, but if it was slightly better than poking a hold in a jerry can that would help prevent the wife from harping on me every time I drive it.

Muchos gracias!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would recommend the e90/92 328i in your situation. You could step up to the 335i but reliability will be less than a 328i.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

How many people do you need to transport? If its only two people... perhaps a Z4 vert or coupe with an NA 3.0 liter six engine would suit the bill ?

I think we need more info of what you are looking in a car... other than it being a "sporty" car with an automatic trans.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Oliver Queen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB/SO M3, 2016 F10 M5

I will give you my opinion. First ask yourself, are you responsible person that slowly eases into new things? If yes then just go straight for the M3/M4/M5 instead of wasting money on the smaller models just to realize it wasn't worth it or live up to your expectations. A lot of the stuff I read online tend to say absolutely do not get in a fast car without any experience or you will crash, run into a pole, blah blah blah. When I picked up my first bike it was 1000cc (4 years ago) and everyone from youtube to friend's said that you will crash, don't do it, you will end up doing something wrong, start from 250 move to 600 then 1000, etc etc. I had never rode a bike prior to that but I felt I was responsible enough to slowly ease into the process; main reason I did not want to buy a 250, sell it and then buy a 600, sell that and go into a 1000c. I never fell off the bike, took off with a wheelie, or dropped the bike and I still ride to date. Do I recommend doing that? No everyone is different with a different mindset. If you are the type of person that just goes into a car without knowing anything about it and flooring it and do not know how to control the car, I'd say definitely do not go for the higher models yet (I know guys who do that and are fine so if you do that disregard this statement). But if you are responsible and are willing to take some time to learn the car then absolutely go for the performance car.
2015 ML63 AMG
Appreciate 1
AriuSen776.50
      08-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
TheBat-Dad
Canada
Rep

Yes I should have been a tad more specific.

Technically there is only two of us, my wife and I. We aren't planning on having kids anytime soon, so that's not a problem. But we do have a large dog which comes most places with us (even to work), so while a sedan would likely be ideal, I'm not ruling out a coupe as I do like the styling better.

Also some utility space would be needed as it needs to haul the ski gear up the mountain. Although to be honest after owning hatchbacks for the last decade you realize that the extra space is barely used, but I'd need a tad more space then a z4.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

The 328/330 would be my personal suggestion. It is fun to drive, great on gas and gives you a solid taste of what driving a BMW is like. If you don't mind a slightly disengaged drive at times, the F30 chassis with an N20 would be my recommendation. If you want something reliable and don't mind a slight increase in fuel consumption (while offering more engaged steering feedback), check out an E90/92 model.

One more piece of advice - if you are buying used, seriously consider getting a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) vehicle from a local dealership for piece of mind.

I also came from a Mazda3 myself, so I can assure you that you won't regret your purchase. Best of luck with your car hunting!
      08-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
TheBat-Dad
Canada
Rep

Appreciate the input! The e92 335 seems like a solid bet. And some pretty good deals around here too.

Had to share this since the Z4 was mentioned above, check out this little guy in Victoria. Not gonna get it, but boy is it a nice little number:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/Z3/VI...O&orup=6_15_92
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat-Dad View Post
Yes I should have been a tad more specific.

Technically there is only two of us, my wife and I. We aren't planning on having kids anytime soon, so that's not a problem. But we do have a large dog which comes most places with us (even to work), so while a sedan would likely be ideal, I'm not ruling out a coupe as I do like the styling better.

Also some utility space would be needed as it needs to haul the ski gear up the mountain. Although to be honest after owning hatchbacks for the last decade you realize that the extra space is barely used, but I'd need a tad more space then a z4.
Your name would suggest otherwise.
      08-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
...But based on everything I have read, the current bimmers don't seem to bring home the cheddar. ...

First, if you've researched this forum and other sources of info, you would know that not everything you've read about current bimmers is cheddarless.

The current 3ers, for example, are amazing automobiles. They are different than previous gen and some folks don't like that and write about their displeasure. On the other hand, there are many, many people who love what BMW has done with its current gen cars. It is such a personal thing.

You suggest that money is not an issue, so I would recommend that you go test drive a new 340i, a used F30 335i, or a used F30 328i. Then come back and let us know the cheddar content from your own personal experience rather making your decisions based on other peoples' tastes and biases.

Here's a test. Go drive any F3x and then go drive any E9x. Come back here and share your thoughts. If you like the older gen better, buy it. If not, spend some extra dough. I'm guessing you will go for the current gen and have enough cheddar left over to make a few omelettes.

Have fun with your real research. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
I love driving, but have only ever owned compacts (Mazda protege 5, and mazda 3 currently)
2017 BMW 230i.

It'll be massive improvement over what you have and won't break the bank. I haven't driven 230, but am assuming same or better than 228 I had for 4 days as a loaner, blast to drive. If however you decide to go for 3 series, you MUST be very careful about configuring it properly to get the most sporty feel out of the car.

Quote:
1) I don't know how to drive a manual..... I likely will learn someday but it can't be on this car.
Why not ?
No time like the present time.
You say you want to give "ultimate driving machine" a try. So, get the "ultimate driving machine" in proper configuration RWD and manual . You'll master driving manual in no time.

Good luck, have fun shopping.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #11
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

M3 and keep it in efficient mode for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

Honestly a 328i with xdrive of this generation is not a bad option, handles well, affordable price buying it used, good mpg, great family carrier, it a solid vehical.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #13
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

If it's a performance car you want, and you don't have the money for an M model, don't get a BMW. The idea that they're the ultimate driving machine is up there with Santa Claus coming down your chimney.

Get a 370z in either auto or manual (preferably manual, you'll be able to drive it around town starting after about 10 minutes of practice). Thank yourself later for buying a REAL sports car that will provide at least M level handling stock with more power than you'll be able to use for a few dozen trackdays.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 12:46 AM   #14
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
If it's a performance car you want, and you don't have the money for an M model, don't get a BMW. The idea that they're the ultimate driving machine is up there with Santa Claus coming down your chimney.

Get a 370z in either auto or manual (preferably manual, you'll be able to drive it around town starting after about 10 minutes of practice). Thank yourself later for buying a REAL sports car that will provide at least M level handling stock with more power than you'll be able to use for a few dozen trackdays.
X2
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #15
kavinjosh007
Registered
Rep
Drives: i have windsong swift car

As m3m3mr said e90/92 328i is recommend for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:01 AM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I'd say supercharged E93 @asb not much faster than a minivan
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

OP is asking for a "fast" performance car and folks are recommending a E9x 328i? Guys...

OP: E82 135i, E9x 335i, E89 Z4 sDrive35i. Lets you pick your seat/space requirements. Can't recommend the 2 series yet due to steering, hopefully it will improve with the next revision.

IF you go for the E9x 335i, DO NOT BUY A 2007.

Have fun!
paliknight2186.50
      08-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #18
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Zor-El View Post
I will give you my opinion. First ask yourself, are you responsible person that slowly eases into new things? If yes then just go straight for the M3/M4/M5 instead of wasting money on the smaller models just to realize it wasn't worth it or live up to your expectations. A lot of the stuff I read online tend to say absolutely do not get in a fast car without any experience or you will crash, run into a pole, blah blah blah. When I picked up my first bike it was 1000cc (4 years ago) and everyone from youtube to friend's said that you will crash, don't do it, you will end up doing something wrong, start from 250 move to 600 then 1000, etc etc. I had never rode a bike prior to that but I felt I was responsible enough to slowly ease into the process; main reason I did not want to buy a 250, sell it and then buy a 600, sell that and go into a 1000c. I never fell off the bike, took off with a wheelie, or dropped the bike and I still ride to date. Do I recommend doing that? No everyone is different with a different mindset. If you are the type of person that just goes into a car without knowing anything about it and flooring it and do not know how to control the car, I'd say definitely do not go for the higher models yet (I know guys who do that and are fine so if you do that disregard this statement). But if you are responsible and are willing to take some time to learn the car then absolutely go for the performance car.
^THIS
You mentioned you are after an automatic sports car.. M3/M4
If you want a real manual sporty.. M2
you got the money.. buy new
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #19
TooFan328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Actually avoid any e90 model. Especially 2006-2011 models. I had a 2007 e90 and I can tell you everything that can go wrong went wrong with it, including things like differential and ecu. After the warranty got over I spent around 3-4K every year for upkeep. My recommendation is that you first search for a competent mechanic, someone who's good at fixing bimmmers and doesn't charge you arm and a leg. After that, you can decide which model to buy. BTW, regardless of the sufferings with my e90, I used to love the driving dynamics of that car. Totally awesome, so awesome, that I ended up with an M3.

Edit: Added this consumer reports link as well:

http://www.consumerreports.org/used-...-avoid-buying/

Last edited by TooFan328i; 08-18-2016 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #20
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Zor-El View Post

this!

just gotta be responsible........wtf is the difference of getting a 328, but drive like a mad dog cutting every one or going on highway at 140 mph?
its not like you gonna get an m3, you step on the throttle just a little and boom!!! you are at 140 mph lol....a lot of members here never been over 3k rpm and they use the m3 just for the sporty experience, and not to be fast or anything. I have friends that never turned off DSC.......if you have the budged and love sporty cars, just go for m3 m2 m4, whatever M.
if you get a 328 or a 335, do not ride in someone's M....you will be selling your car in less than a year.
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #21
platinum903
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F85 X5M, G05 X5

Go for the M3 or M4. Everything else is weak sauce. I'm in my first bimmer and went straight to a 2016 M5 and love it. In fact, I want even more power now. No use starting with a bottom on the barrel engine. You will adjust quickly and there is nothing that says you have to smash the M in Sports + mode from the very beginning (although it won't take you long to adjust to that).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #22
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

X5M FTW
Attached Images