New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-18-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Talking A review of the 35is with special comparison to the 135i

Having come from a 135i (manual) I was already very familiar with the N54 engine - or so I thought.

I'll cut to the chase - the Z4 35is completely transforms the feeling of this engine. Just when I thought it couldnt get much better. It is superb.

First is the sound. Incredible - I never thought a N54 could sound so perfect. I had my concerns over how the sports exhaust on the 35is would sound. On starting the 35is has a very pronounced growl and burble as the revs settle to idle. On revving in neutral it feels freer than my 135i and much more aggressive. In-gear acceleration provides a pleasingly exotic and commanding note. Best heard with the top down of course! Very, very pleased with this. The matt silver exhaust tips look fantastic also and resist dirt more than chrome as a bonus.

The DCT is truly excellent. The lowdown: it isn't as engaging as the 6-speed manual in my 135i but who cares because it's so smooth and makes the car SIGNIFICANTLY faster from a roll.

The N54 mated to the 7 speed DCT is a match made in heaven. The Z4 35is actually feels a little faster than my 135i with DCI & SSTT (increases boost by about 3psi - faster on paper) and it hasnt even broken in yet. A test on a familiar road where my 135i would reach 120km/h before braking revealed that the 35is in Sport mode auto shifting easily matches this. The 135i with DCI + SSTT on paper would have around 350hp at the flywheel. The DCT 35is stock is a heavier car but honestly feels like it has at least this or more even.

Now handling. The Z4 with 19inch rims feels more planted than the 135i with a lot less body roll even in normal mode. Sport mode tightens things up slightly. Steering is significantly lighter than the 135i, but appears to the less affected by imperfections in the road. Suspension is more compliant in normal and even in Sport in my opinion. Less crashes and bangs on uneven surfaces are felt and heard. Handling is not as sharp, nimble or precise as a Porsche or Lotus but nevertheless competent and better than 90% of cars out there. I can imagine (as said before on this forum) sways and tires making a cheap and easy but significant improvement.

No one has mentioned the air con in the Z4 before. It is very, very good. It was so cold that I had to turn the temperature up as it was freezing my hands. Vastly superior to the 135i.

Interior materials, switchgear and finishing is superior but that wasn't a suprise.

I also think the silver mirrors are a nice touch. They are just silver coloured plastic.

By the way, for people deciding whether to get the 313 rims or the 326M - get the 326M. Even if they cost the same amount, having seen both up close the 326M are better. The design is more interesting and just plain nicer.

I have replaced the ugly Harry Potter magic-wand antenna with a stubby one off Ebay.

Last edited by Alext; 11-19-2010 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Having come from a 135i (manual) I was already very familiar with the N54 engine - or so I thought.

I'll cut to the chase - the Z4 35is completely transforms the feeling of this engine. Just when I thought it couldnt get much better. It is superb.

First is the sound. Incredible - I never thought a N54 could sound so perfect. I had my concerns over how the sports exhaust on the 35is would sound. On starting the 35is has a very pronounced growl and burble as the revs settle to idle. On revving in neutral it feels freer than my 135i and much more aggressive. In-gear acceleration provides a pleasingly exotic and commanding note. Best heard with the top down of course! Very, very pleased with this. The matt silver exhaust tips look fantastic also and resist dirt more than chrome as a bonus.

The DCT is truly excellent. The lowdown: it isn't as engaging as the 6-speed manual in my 135i but who cares because it's so smooth and makes the car SIGNIFICANTLY faster from a roll.

The N54 mated to the 7 speed DCT is a match made in heaven. The Z4 35is actually feels a little faster than my 135i with DCI & SSTT (increases boost by about 3psi - faster on paper) and it hasnt even broken in yet. A test on a familiar road where my 135i would reach 120km/h before braking revealed that the 35is in Sport mode auto shifting easily matches this. The 135i with DCI + SSTT on paper would have around 350hp at the flywheel. The DCT 35is stock is a heavier car but honestly feels like it has at least this or more even.

Now handling. The Z4 with 19inch rims feels more planted than the 135i with a lot less body roll even in normal mode. Sport mode tightens things up slightly. Steering is significantly lighter than the 135i, but appears to the less affected by imperfections in the road. Suspension is more compliant in normal and even in Sport in my opinion. Less crashes and bangs on uneven surfaces are felt and heard.

No one has mentioned the air con in the Z4 before. It is very, very good. It was so cold that I had to turn the temperature up as it was freezing my hands. Vastly superior to the 135i.

Interior materials, switchgear and finishing is superior but that wasn't a suprise.

I also think the silver mirrors are a nice touch. They are just silver coloured plastic.

By the way, for people deciding whether to get the 313 rims or the 326M - get the 326M. Even if they cost the same amount, having seen both up close the 326M are better. The design is more interesting and just plain nicer.

I have replaced the ugly Harry Potter magic-wand antenna with a stubby one off Ebay.
Excellent writteup my friend
      11-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
Excellent writteup my friend
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Congrats on your long awaited ride, mate!!! Can't wait to see your photos.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
s2000jan
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E89 - sDrive 35is

Join the club of 35is drivers
      11-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
OrangeOne
Private
Rep
Drives: 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Haha! Harry potter wand hahahahahahhahahaa
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
T89
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i & Mini Cooper S

Congrats! You've been waiting for quite a while. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

T
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Nice write up, thanks... Enjoy your ride...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Thanks guys. I thought I might add a few more observations:

My initial opinion of the brakes is that whilst decent, don't have the initial bite of the 6-piston fronts on the 135i. I haven't broken them in yet and haven't fully tested their capability yet though.

The paintwork is really, really well finished. I ordered sapphire black and the finish is nicer than the jet black on my previous car. The 135i had a couple of paint runs and some obvious orange peel. For those wondering, sapphire black is not as deep or shiny as jet black, but has a slightly 'matte' look to it giving it a more classy appearance in my opinion.

Installed Mtechs today and they look good. As said before they aren't as bright as OEM but when DRL's are active they are quite acceptable.

I just want to reiterate that the exhaust sounds really ace. I was revving it in neutral today and you can hear the turbo spool.

So all in all I am not sure what BMW did exactly, but if you were to drive a 135i then a Z4 35is back to back you would swear that there was a totally different engine in the Z. If the upcoming 1M coupe gets the same or better treatment in terms of it's engine and exhaust then it will be a really sweet car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Alext, I assume you are comparing a 135i tuned to the 35is... The 135i in itself is inferior to the 35is, simply cause the 35is is the tuned of the 35i sDrive...
But yet, if you compare the 135i with the 35i (test drove both) the 35i is much superior, Except to the handling on corners with relative speed, the 135i felt stiffer (35i was on normal mode)...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #11
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Oh and needless to say that the 35is is 30,000 USD more than the 135i (in HKG at least).. The least is to have a superior car for these 30K extra...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Great writeup, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #13
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Welcome to Queensland

Hey Alex,

I've been gone a while - I was wondering when yours would land in the sunshine state.

From the sounds of it - you are happy with your choice.

I have been doing a lot of commuting these days - and it never fails to make the ride in enjoyable and the ride home refreshing.

If you bring it down to Brisbane again - let me know and we can go for a drive up Mt Glorious.

Mine certainly still turns the heads in traffic, and the sound from the exhaust still annoys the neighbours... ;-)

BEst regards
Dr Stig

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #14
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Thanks Stig. Yes it is all I hoped for and even more. Very thrilled. I am glad you are still enjoying yours! When I was in Brissy negotiating traffic during my 1st 5 mins of driving some kids yelled out 'Go Faster!'.

Yes one day I would like to go up to Mt Glorious - thanks for the offer. During the trip back it started to rain like anything and avoiding the many potholes was something else.
Appreciate 0