New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

stupid behavior...once again!

after driving the Z for the first time in the last five months due to winter storage i'd forget how sweet it is. I'd also forgot how manys idiot's on the road, I was cruising quietly and here we go again! someone's behind me so close that all i see is its fron grille. Often it's young people driving $1,200 shitbox usually rusty Civic or Sunbirds, this time it was a dude on a 6000 pounds Escalade who really got on my nerve. I was in the middle lane and he still want to push me instead of passing. it seems that this kind of behavior is getting worst every years, this is became boring.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Amen! This is the only Way to Deal with such Retards:

Last edited by Desmo85; 03-25-2012 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

If only!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRR1000S
Lol... Couldn't stop laughing for a good 5 minutes....
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Unfortunately, it seems that there are bad drivers everywhere: too aggressive and overconfident in their (in)abilities. It's amazing how horrible some drivers are these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I wish I wrote this...it's brilliant! I'm sure we've all found ourselves in 1 or more of these situations
Attached Files
File Type: doc The Hatred Shown by People to BMW.doc (30.5 KB, 280 views)

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
az34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I wish I wrote this...it's brilliant! I'm sure we've all found ourselves in 1 or more of these situations
after reading it all i have no choice to print it. Thanks JP1 the next time an asshole will try to come over my tailgate i think i'm gonna laught instead of stressing myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
az34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Unfortunately, it seems that there are bad drivers everywhere: too aggressive and overconfident in their (in)abilities. It's amazing how horrible some drivers are these days.
it'is a shame to realize how "drivers" use their car as a weapon now.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
after reading it all i have no choice to print it. Thanks JP1 the next time an asshole will try to come over my tailgate i think i'm gonna laught instead of stressing myself.
The only situation that's missing is the one where you're passing on the left and the other car fakes a move to the left just to try to scare you. "You may be able to pass me in your fancy car, but I'll make sure you end up in a ditch"

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
danielC
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Haha gold!! He should have emptied the clip into their engine!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
it'is a shame to realize how "drivers" use their car as a weapon now.
The reason why I stopped riding Motorcycles (on public roads)....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
az34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRR1000S View Post
The reason why I stopped riding Motorcycles (on public roads)....
same for me, the other one is bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
hutchins
Rep
Drives: F30... not yet, E89 still

Quote:
after driving the Z for the first time in the last five months due to winter storage i'd forget how sweet it is. I'd also forgot how manys idiot's on the road, I was cruising quietly and here we go again! someone's behind me so close that all i see is its fron grille. Often it's young people driving $1,200 shitbox usually rusty Civic or Sunbirds, this time it was a dude on a 6000 pounds Escalade who really got on my nerve. I was in the middle lane and he still want to push me instead of passing. it seems that this kind of behavior is getting worst every years, this is became boring.
young man no fear ....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Dealing with Tailgaters

How I deal with tailgaters:

Downshift one gear and begin to slow down VERY gradually to about 3- 5 mph slower than your prior speed. Slow down very gradually so that the distance between you and the car in front of you (if there is one) widens and the distance between you and the tailgater does not get any closer. Then punch the throttle quickly to immediately widen the gap between you and the tailgater. If there is no one on front of you then increase the gap several car lengths. If they creep back up behind you, then repeat until they get so frustrated they decide to pass or get in another lane.

If they still don't get the hint, put your arm straight out the window and wave your arm back several times, to indicate to them to GET BACK.

One thing I never do is let the tailgaters get there way and bully me over and out of their way. This will just only encourage them to repeat their bad bahavior in the future.

However, if I see a maniac in my rearview mirror driving 25+ mph faster than everyone else and tailgating everyone to get them out of their way ASAP, I get the hell out of the way. There is no telling what drug they might be on.

Last edited by 35iDriver; 03-27-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Incipio
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

My issue these days with driving is, driving for others. Basically you just have to adapt to all the stupid moves that people pull while driving. i.e: You see a turn coming and you know the woman next to you is not going to make it without getting in your lane, so you have to anticipate her stupidity and correct the situation by you slowing down making space for her.

And all these schmucks who think they are cool and zigzag between cars, see if you are cool you'll be able to pull it off without inconveniencing other drivers. When the other guy has to slam on his brakes to save your ass that means you are just incompetent. So just don't do it. We all make mistakes but I try to be courteous and apologetic when I do, what gets under my skin is how oblivious ppl are.

This is a good thread I needed to vent....sorry
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert335i View Post
My issue these days with driving is, driving for others. Basically you just have to adapt to all the stupid moves that people pull while driving. i.e: You see a turn coming and you know the woman next to you is not going to make it without getting in your lane, so you have to anticipate her stupidity and correct the situation by you slowing down making space for her.

And all these schmucks who think they are cool and zigzag between cars, see if you are cool you'll be able to pull it off without inconveniencing other drivers. When the other guy has to slam on his brakes to save your ass that means you are just incompetent. So just don't do it. We all make mistakes but I try to be courteous and apologetic when I do, what gets under my skin is how oblivious ppl are.

Today I saw the aftermath of a tragic accident....a soccer mom in an Audi A6 ran over a kid on his moped, the kid was driving on the very right side of the lane, the Audi was speeding out of an sidealley and the kid apparently could not brake at all, the Audi was pretty damaged the Moped literally torn apart....I hope the kid will make it,...

3 minutes later I was attempting to make a right turn (I signaled early, slowed down quite smooth since I know people tend to speed at this road) to stop at the supermarket some idiot in his A6 Limiousine almost rammed me, apparently he wasnt paying attention at all, if he had not made a ridiculous risky manuveur cutting over 3 lanes he would have hit me with a least 30mph+

I am definetly not the type that would judge people in car-brand-clichés but today´s incidents......from now on when I see an Audi A6 I will pull over to the right and wait till he is at least 5 miles ahead

Last edited by Desmo85; 03-27-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRR1000S
I know someone who did exactly that! (with a shotgun not an uzi)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
baldguyj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 35i Sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
How I deal with tailgaters:

Downshift one gear and begin to slow down VERY gradually to about 3- 5 mph slower than your prior speed. Slow down very gradually so that the distance between you and the car in front of you (if there is one) widens and the distance between you and the tailgater does not get any closer. Then punch the throttle quickly to immediately widen the gap between you and the tailgater. If there is no one on front of you then increase the gap several car lengths. If they creep back up behind you, then repeat until they get so frustrated they decide to pass or get in another lane.

If they still don't get the hint, put your arm straight out the window and wave your arm back several times, to indicate to them to GET BACK.

One thing I never do is let the tailgaters get there way and bully me over and out of their way. This will just only encourage them to repeat their bad bahavior in the future.

However, if I see a maniac in my rearview mirror driving 25+ mph faster than everyone else and tailgating everyone to get them out of their way ASAP, I get the hell out of the way. There is no telling what drug they might be on.
Hope you don't do this in the passing lane! It is written on many roadways, "slower traffic keep right" That’s what’s great about the rest of the world, they utilize the passing lanes! Tailgating is stupid in the middle and right lane. If there is someone tailgating you in the left, he wants to go faster, let him and poof, he is a speed blocker.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguyj View Post
Hope you don't do this in the passing lane! It is written on many roadways, "slower traffic keep right" That’s what’s great about the rest of the world, they utilize the passing lanes! Tailgating is stupid in the middle and right lane. If there is someone tailgating you in the left, he wants to go faster, let him and poof, he is a speed blocker.
Oh Puleeease. I certainly don't need a lecture from you, or anyone for that matter, on the use/definition of the "passing lane", nor did I appreciate the insult to my driving intelligence.

Now I'll educate YOU on a passing lane/tailgaiter scenario:
If a driver is in the "passing" lane going 75, and PASSING a long line of vehicles to to the right that are going 65, then they have every right to maintain 75 MPH until they can safely get out of the passing lane. Meaning, as long as they are passing in the passing lane no one has the right to tailgait them, including the a$$ that feels like going 85. It's the PASSING lane, not the "Lane dedicated to ONLY those that happens to want to go 10-20 mph faster than everyone else" lane.

As long as you are passing slower traffic in every lane to your right while in the passing lane, you have every right to be there.

Last edited by 35iDriver; 03-28-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert335i View Post

I find myself in situations almost every day where the other driver has no idea that they did NOT have the right of way. There are 5-10 common scenarios.

One is when I have a GREEN left turn arrow and I am making a legal U-turn at the arrow, and the driver on the cross street to my left enters the same lane generally at the same time via a right on RED. However, I have the right away for 2 reasons: the green arrow, and I am already IN the traffic area, while they are attempting to enter the traffic area.

I finally decided to start honking my horn right when I start to make the U-turn, to alert the other driver entering the same lane via their right on red.

It's kind of a "HELLO, I'm here and I have the right of way" honk.
This has worked several times as the other driver hits the breaks immediately.

Last edited by 35iDriver; 03-28-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post

As long as you are passing slower traffic in every lane to your right while in the passing lane, you have every right to be there.
In general agree, but if the passing car drives only about 1 mile per hour faster than the "long line of cars" they are passing, forgive me for getting impatient ...

IMHO, there should be a rule that if passing takes more than 10 to 20 seconds, well, maybe you shouldn't be passing.

I think most of the time it's just somebody too lazy to disengage cruise control which happens to be set 1 mph faster than that of the car in the right lane...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
baldguyj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 35i Sdrive

I couldn't agree more if you are passing slower cars great. Your post said nothing of passing. I was specifically speaking of those who formation drive. Not intending to lecture, I'll leave that for you.
Appreciate 0