New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Nobody makes a car as beautiful as the Italians do.
Truth

And I believe arguably the pinnacle of the Italian design world is Pininfarina, who has been used by Ferrari for decades.

Some might argue that Lamborghini is better, and the irony is that legendary marques' most outrageous "Italian" design to date, the aventador, is designed and produced by a German company (VW) who's chief designer is German - go figure.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I prefer the curves of Ferrari over the angles of Lamborghini. My son says the opposite!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

I wouldn't spend the money for the red car, but you might catch me paying to sleep with those carbon brakes!
      03-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I prefer the curves of Ferrari over the angles of Lamborghini. My son says the opposite!
Ferrari every time but I prefer a 911 believe it or not (understated is better for me), and after studying a 458 in person a few months ago in New Orleans, the Lamborghini screams insecure male compensation by comparison - drive that and wear your affliction t-shirt while having your "lid" turned sideways . . . (nothing personal just different personality types are drawn to different designs). The 458 is even more stunning in person than photos, I can assure you.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #27
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
Ferrari every time but I prefer a 911 believe it or not (understated is better for me), and after studying a 458 in person a few months ago in New Orleans, the Lamborghini screams insecure male compensation by comparison - drive that and wear your affliction t-shirt while having your "lid" turned sideways . . . (nothing personal just different personality types are drawn to different designs). The 458 is even more stunning in person than photos, I can assure you.
IMO the 458 Italia is a masterpiece that unfortunately looses a tiny bit of its brilliance in the Spider - at the roof curvature meeting the body on the coupe.

I'm curious though about your mention that you'd buy a 911 v 458 - it seems the 458 surpasses the 911 in every way. And there are other colors besides Ferrari red. Please explain.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

look - I cannot afford a 458 and will not pretend that I can and there is no doubt that the 458 is probably the best performing road car you can buy at any price; as for the, 911 it may be in my near future - a 911S 7MT and it has been my dream car since I was a wee little boy; for me, I have never aspired higher and dream almost daily of parking it my garage so we can grow old together
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #29
Jordanpryce
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 30i

I put the Z4 up on leasetrader and ordered a MT Black on Black 991 3.4 myself. I'll miss the top down feeling, but yes, the Boxster is still a chick's car, and if you're going to do it....You might as well go all the way.
      03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #30
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
look - I cannot afford a 458 and will not pretend that I can and there is no doubt that the 458 is probably the best performing road car you can buy at any price; as for the, 911 it may be in my near future - a 911S 7MT and it has been my dream car since I was a wee little boy; for me, I have never aspired higher and dream almost daily of parking it my garage so we can grow old together
I understand completely. I love the 911S myself. Thanks for helping me understand your point.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #31
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
I still hate soft top convertibles and it is a terrible idea to put electronic steering on this car. Girl car or not, there is no denying it looks pretty good. The front fascia grill by the fog lights has a more R8 look with a less soft headlights and more squared off fender. Even though I don't like the connected spoiler and taillights, it is growing on me. Not to mention that it drives very well.

Since I am still not a fan of soft top convertibles, if the Caymans looks as good as the Boxster (and likely perform better with the more rigid hardtop), it'll be on the very top of my list when I move on from the Z4.

03-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #32
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfx45 View Post
I still hate soft top convertibles and it is a terrible idea to put electronic steering on this car. Girl car or not, there is no denying it looks pretty good. The front fascia grill by the fog lights has a more R8 look with a less soft headlights and more squared off fender. Even though I don't like the connected spoiler and taillights, it is growing on me. Not to mention that it drives very well.

Since I am still not a fan of soft top convertibles, if the Caymans looks as good as the Boxster (and likely perform better with the more rigid hardtop), it'll be on the very top of my list when I move on from the Z4.
Not to argumentative, just suggesting Boxster is not a girl-car, Porsche just hasn't infused it with enough testosterone for the average guy to take a liking to it. Furthermore, I feel it's intentionally done that way.

When I see a Boxster, I see a toned down Carrera GT. Look at the new interior of the 911, Boxster, Cayman and you'll see similarities to the Carrera GT, especially the way the console area is ramping up. I think that Porsche would like to take the faithful in the direction of the Carrera GT platform, but they ain't having any part of it.

BTW I think the Cayman has killer looks as well.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
I see the GT inspiration in the interior but it really is more of the Panamera interior more than anything, which could be argued as a more refined version of the GT interior.

To me, I just do not tend to call any car a "girls car" other than the last gen Beetle and that is because they purposely built a flower vase in the car and an optional flower rims so it's hard to argue with it that. I would say the Boxster is a bit feminine but the new one does have more hard edges, you'd still know it's a Boxster but it is less soft and a slightly bit more aggressive. I'd actually consider a toned down Carrera GT as a compliment as we'll likely won't see anything like the GT in the near future.

I still truly believe Porsche is holding it (both Boxster and Cayman in fact) back too much in power because if it gets the same dozen of iterations as the 911 with 400-500hp, this mid-engine will likely take some (as in plenty) of sale away from the car makers iconic 911 and Porsche just doesn't want to lose that.
      03-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
Jordanpryce
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 30i

I'm amazed about the talk on electric steering. In all fairness, the Z4 steering is also electric (servotronic) and personally is one of the major faults with the car. It is terrible at transmitting road feel, and frankly, numb. The steering in the 3 series is heads and tails above the Z4. I've driven the 991, and if the Boxster steering is anything like the 991, BMW has nothing on Porsche.
      03-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #35
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
The electric steering on the Porsche makes a bigger difference simply because the old hydraulic steering feel was somewhat a Porsche signature, you can't fall asleep on the wheel or it can bite you when you least expect it. This is more prominent on the 911, which most people preferred over the other mid-engine sports cars despite it's back heavy balance because it's more fun, more alive and is that 911/Porsche signature feel. Take that away and overall, it might be for the best (better control, smoother, etc...) but they lost a part of what made a Porsche, well a Porsche. I'm sure they'd lose a few 911 lovers with that move but the cars overall improvements and quality might bring more people in as well. I guess we'll find out in a few months how it does.