New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
PennBruce
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 sDrive28i

Z4 Top Problem - $20,985 Solution

I recently installed a rear view camera system. I did this just after I put the Z back on the road so I hadn't driven it for five months. Finally had a warm day and I tried to put the top down.

Here's a video showing the problem:

https://youtu.be/dpWos4FEL2M

The dealer couldn't fix it, so they brought in a factory rep. He decided that I must have bent the top mechanism when running the wires through the trunk. His theory is that I left tools in the upper area of the trunk and then put the top down. His evidence for this is a minuscule paint chip on the leading edge of the rear window.

Name:  Paint Chip on rear roof.jpg
Views: 1702
Size:  94.7 KB

The dealer thinks it's a software problem from the rear cam installation. So the next step is to remove the cam and have the software reloaded, $247 my expense.

Their ultimate solution is to replace the entire top at a cost of $20,985 my expense.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the top? If so, I need to hear from you.

Thanks,

Bruce

Last edited by PennBruce; 06-03-2017 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Thats total BS. I unfortunately left small bag on the left side of the trunk and put the top down. To my horror the roof didn't go all the way down and the trunk naturally weoudltn either. I realized my error and quickly put the top up.

Many of these roofs are made by Valmet and Webasto and are well known to test these systems in case of owners putting bags/items where they down belong. Needles to say in my situation once i put the top up and removed the bag everything worked out fine. This is after the left side of the roof sitting flush in the trunk and the right side raised nearly 3 inches off flush.

Simply put they are either trying got screw you and/or are inept to do the work. Take your car to another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

ok i do agree that there is a with the top. Do you need an entire new top? I dont think so. I think what has happened here is the top is out of sync. Like it has a sensor that is bad or If it were mechanical like the olden days it has slipped a tooth on the gearbox. However, that isnt an option with our tops. So first thing i would do is use lipstick on the face where the top is chipped and open the top fully and then close it slightly to see if it has smeared anywhere. If it has i would look to see what it is hitting. Next i would look at the internal parts for the top and make sure they are not bent. Then also look at the connectors to make sure they are not broken or worn. From there the hydraulics need to be tested and i suspect you will see the problem at this point. that last little pop and movement upon closing is the problem for sure. a new top likely will fix it but likely also isnt required to get it working right again.