New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
You can't rev the crap out of the 35i, the turbos run out of wind. There is plenty of power in the mid band rev range. Its far from a slug, its a 5 second car?!
Try wide open throttle in 3rd gear at 40mph. Car doesn't have much go. Needs to be in 2nd and revved hard.

Power drop at high rpm but still gearing benefit and 7000 rpm power isn't below 5000rpm
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

You need to get your car checked... at 3000rpm my car takes off...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
You need to get your car checked... at 3000rpm my car takes off...
IN what gear?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
IN what gear?
And what is your basis for comparison....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #27
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I almost always drive in Sport mode with manual shifting.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Hey guys, I found out that when the indicated oil temp exceeds 270F the DCT S mode changes shift points to keep the engine at lower RPM.

For example, with the kick down switch pressed, the computer will allow the engine to rev to 7000rpm before shifting up, but when the oil temperature is elevated, the computer will short shift to a higher gear at a much lower RPM.

I believe the shifting is slower as well, because the changes we not as noticeable, but that could be because of the engine power reduction that is also taking place at the same time
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hey guys, I found out that when the indicated oil temp exceeds 270F the DCT S mode changes shift points to keep the engine at lower RPM.

For example, with the kick down switch pressed, the computer will allow the engine to rev to 7000rpm before shifting up, but when the oil temperature is elevated, the computer will short shift to a higher gear at a much lower RPM.

I believe the shifting is slower as well, because the changes we not as noticeable, but that could be because of the engine power reduction that is also taking place at the same time
Do you mean the certain point during the process of pressing down on the gas pedal?

That's good to know, that means the DCT is self-regulating/proactively avoiding prbs, so hopefully that should translate into zero/less issues down the road. I haven't really pushed the tranny but it really seems solidly-built (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:

Mine does not short shift when set to Sport or Sport+ no matter what the oil temp is. But then again my transmission is always in the manual mode.............

You guys are so lucky to have the computer thinking for you in regards to the care and well being of your vehicle and DCT, with never a thought to the dreaded "Money Shift".

NOT

Yet another reason to "Save The Manuals"

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Do you mean the certain point during the process of pressing down on the gas pedal?

That's good to know, that means the DCT is self-regulating/proactively avoiding prbs, so hopefully that should translate into zero/less issues down the road. I haven't really pushed the tranny but it really seems solidly-built (knock on wood).
Right, I'm talking about that button right at the gas end of the pedal travel that gives more resistance.

Yes DTC does seem solidly built *touch wood*. All components have a "useful life" though, and with the oldest BMW DCT being those in the '08 M3 I guess time will tell when we start finding the limits of the gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Mine does not short shift when set to Sport or Sport+ no matter what the oil temp is. But then again my transmission is always in the manual mode.............

You guys are so lucky to have the computer thinking for you in regards to the care and well being of your vehicle and DCT, with never a thought to the dreaded "Money Shift".

NOT

Dude, where did that come from? Srsly.

If it's one thing I can't stand is retrogrouchs. The M/T is virtually DEAD, deal w/ it...or should we also reminisce when we all used to crank start our engines? ...wait for it....NOT!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #33
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I say... Save the manual shift mode!

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #34
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
I used to feel the same way until I tried the Porsche PDK and now the BMW DCT

Max effort braking and downshifting as well as mid corner shifting are trivial and allow for focus on position the vehicle and other driver development tasks

I'm not a pro driver, obviously, and I'm sure the DCT tech is making me faster
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #35
GooDy151
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BUS

How can we get into Sport+ and completely turn off traction ?
When I'm in sport plus and push DSC off (hold 3-5secs) then it seem like it go back to the normal mode.
'99 Subaru Impreza 2.2 JE pistons , HKS rods , Jun cam 272 / 272, Greddy T78 32D , Sard 1000cc Inj., Tein and Tomei SQ trans , 10.21sec
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #36
Nik z
Greece
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

there is no way to set sport+ and dct off it wont let you..its difficult to drift in normal mode.. steering wheel and throttle response feels terrible in normal mode..thats another reason i am saying its not a sports car but another luxury convertible tow seater car ..some times i feel like i am driving a girls car wont let you do anything by your self . its a pity so mach power is wasted ..corect if i am wrong ..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #37
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
I used to feel the same way until I tried the Porsche PDK and now the BMW DCT

Max effort braking and downshifting as well as mid corner shifting are trivial and allow for focus on position the vehicle and other driver development tasks

I'm not a pro driver, obviously, and I'm sure the DCT tech is making me faster
+1 to this. LIFELONG manual driver, never, ever thought I'd want to switch. Then I was introduced to DCT.

There's a reason while all the top end motorsports now use this technology. I think one way to look at it, transmissions like the DCT and PDK (and pro gearboxes in race cars) actually ARE manual transmissions - they just don't have a clutch pedal. Sure, you can let a computer shift for you, but you can don't have to. And, you can concentrate on braking points, turn in points, and car position much more closely while the car takes care of matching RPMs on downshifts and working the clutches.

Now, of course, there's always the argument that shifting yourself w/ a clutch pedal and gearbox is just more fun, that's subjective (and a fine personal choice!). For me, the perfect throttle blips and exhaust burble on downshifting proved too intoxicating, couldn't resist.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #38
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik z View Post
there is no way to set sport+ and dct off it wont let you..its difficult to drift in normal mode.. steering wheel and throttle response feels terrible in normal mode..thats another reason i am saying its not a sports car but another luxury convertible tow seater car ..some times i feel like i am driving a girls car wont let you do anything by your self . its a pity so mach power is wasted ..corect if i am wrong ..
What you need is the ESS tune. It sharpens up the throttle response in any mode and the car becomes very controllable on over-steer (for a turbo car that is) . I am still learning, but so far I prefer ESS stage 1 for these wonderful occasions.

With ESS the car is very eager to kick out its tail, and I can vary the RPMs rather nicely while counter steering to control the direction of the skid. You may find that with ESS, the throttle response in sport+ is a actually tad "over-boosted"/"nonlinear". You may however still miss the sport+ suspension. Mine has the regular suspension so that is not an issue for me. Steering in normal mode is lighter than sport+, so it helps when making quick corrections, and it still has the function, which is a unique possibility with electric power steering i think, that it actively "helps" you to counter-steer doing drifts. Of course the feel is more disconnected compared to sport+, but while you may complain about that in theory, in reality and while drifting, I never found that to be an issue or limiting factor. When drifting I honestly care much more about feeling what the rear wheels are doing.

And while on the topic of sportscar or not. One thing you dont get with a farrari or lambo is the seating position of the Z4! And that is important because drifting is even more fun, when sitting as far back as you do in the Z4. What you loose in feel about what the front is doing, you gain in feel about what the rear is doing! And what it does on over-steer, and when you are in control of it, is absolutely wonderful!

I wish all Z4 owners could get a chance to experience this, but perhaps 99% of owners never get to use the DSC=off mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

I agree it would be nice to have the option for dsc truly off when in the sport+ setting

From my experience though, the DTC / sports+ setting is not that restrictive and will allow you to slide all four wheels when exiting a corner at the traction limit and I noticed the traction control aid only when it kept me from putting the car into a spin from adding too much throttle at the wrong time

I think with more cooling equipment and a different tire choice than the RE050A (fun fact... Aston Martin uses it as their OE tire also!) the E89 would be a lot of fun for prolonged hard driving. In its 100% stock form it really is more of a capable cruiser than a track missile (but then.. are any BMWs really track missiles from the factory anymore...)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #40
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
+1 to this. LIFELONG manual driver, never, ever thought I'd want to switch. Then I was introduced to DCT.

There's a reason while all the top end motorsports now use this technology. I think one way to look at it, transmissions like the DCT and PDK (and pro gearboxes in race cars) actually ARE manual transmissions - they just don't have a clutch pedal. Sure, you can let a computer shift for you, but you can don't have to. And, you can concentrate on braking points, turn in points, and car position much more closely while the car takes care of matching RPMs on downshifts and working the clutches.

Now, of course, there's always the argument that shifting yourself w/ a clutch pedal and gearbox is just more fun, that's subjective (and a fine personal choice!). For me, the perfect throttle blips and exhaust burble on downshifting proved too intoxicating, couldn't resist.
Exactly. Lazy detractors of DCT/PDK/DSG/F1/etc just notice the lack of a 3rd pedal and automatically assume that it's an A/T...well, no, it's not. There is no power-sucking torque converter, which imo is the main criterion of whether a tranny is M/T or A/T, NOT the # of pedals. This relatively 'new' type of M/T, read: DCT/PDK/DSG/F1/etc, offers undeniable superior performance and flexibility vs the stick.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

times are indeed changing because I drove the 8 spd "sport auto" in the 28i and it had smooth rev matched downshifts and firm upshifts, reasonable response time to shift requests, and torque converter locked up to simulate a fully engaged clutch

Driven back to back with the DCT I noticed the DCT was smoother/faster and preferred the DCT, but the latest torque converter based automatics aren't the dogs they used to be...

EDIT: I was reflecting on this, and I really enjoy driving traditional manual, but I enjoy going as fast as possible even more so I guess i am ok bowing down to the car's electronic overlords....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #42
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

1. Does the transmission shift for you?
2. Can you ruin your transmission by over-revving your downshift?
3. Is there a neutral position?
Its not a manual. It's a very good transmission that shifts lightening fast. You always get a good shift. But it's not a manual. It's controlled by you and a computer.
I'm not sure why there's always this "issue" about the DCT but it seems that those that drive it must hold a traditional manual as the gold standard because they're always comparing the DCT to it.
Drive what you like but know what you're driving.

let you go past 7000 rpm?
3. Is there a nuetral?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #43
Putzo
Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is

Garage List
Quote:
EDIT: I was reflecting on this, and I really enjoy driving traditional manual, but I enjoy going as fast as possible even more so I guess i am ok bowing down to the car's electronic overlords....
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #44
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Its not a manual. It's a very good transmission that shifts lightening fast. You always get a good shift. But it's not a manual. It's controlled by you and a computer.
I'm not sure why there's always this "issue" about the DCT but it seems that those that drive it must hold a traditional manual as the gold standard because they're always comparing the DCT to it.
Drive what you like but know what you're driving.
For me at least, there is no issue.

I am clear my car is automatic / computer controlled / has no clutch pedal and compare to traditional 3 pedal manual because that's what i've been driving daily since I started driving up until 10 months ago. I'm also clear I'm faster in my automatic DCT 35i and I would be in the same car with a 3 pedal manual so all good here!

The comparison for me is from disbelief since for as long as I can remember I thought "automatics were worse for performance" and have found myself proven wrong in a big way.
Appreciate 0