New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Anyone moved from 19" run flats to 19" non run flats?

OK, so like many I think the standard 19" ride (run flat) on the e89 is harsh. While my front tyres are new, the rears have probably another six months left in them max and at that time I've decided to switch to normal tyres as the ride is so harsh on run flats that its making me want to sell the car, and I'm not doing that (cost too much!). So the query is, does it really make all the difference that people say it will, moving to normal tyres. Does it improve the ride that much, does it have any impact on handling etc? How do people feel about punctures and recovery or gooey-inflatable kits? I'm really hoping this is a proper improvement as I can't stand looking out for manhole covers and road imperfections any longer, I should be looking at the environment around me for hazards, not the tarmac!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
I can only tell you about the 18" I changed about 3 years ago going from the OEM Bridgestone RFT to PS2s... The change was pretty dramatic. Everything improves from the ride to the handling to tire wear etc...
The normal tyres are also lighter, much lighter and the whole puncture recovery is moot in my opinion. The likely hood of the RFT having a safety advantage is very slim and most punctures I have had in my life were nails etc which were slow leaks. RFTs would not have helped but would have just made it very costly to repair or replace.
      03-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

There should be significant, all positive, info and reviews on this forum of people switching to RFT, both in 18" and 19" tires sizes. I recall better and smoother ride, less road noise, and better handling as three of the more important factors I related to.

Having said that, I haven't reached the point were I need to consider going to RFT, as my tires are still in new condition, and I can tolerate the OEM tires until which time they need replacement.

More of a concern for me is having a puncture, particularly if on a trip. Secondly, when and if the wife ever decides to drive the Z, I would feel more at ease not worrying if she had a flat, and where located in Houston, as there are some areas here that you may need to drive through but definitely don't want to be stranded.

While many say they can probably do a roadside repair patch, that is easier said than done. Perhaps I'm more conservative, or cautious, but I'm still definitely undecided on which option to go with when the time comes for replacing my OEM tires....
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
I went from factory RFLs to 19in Yokohama AD08s. comparable to PSS. And to answer your question, Yes Yes and Yes. it makes a world of difference. The AD08 has relatively hard sidewalls and a high noise rating compared to the PSS, BUT it is still worlds better than the runflats. I never dodged another manhole cover because what used to be the big "BAAAM" is just just rolled over like a normal car. traction is improved massively in the summer, and it makes me a lot more confident in the corners.

I don't have a roadside service right now, Toronto roads aren't perfect either so there's always a concern for the flats. But calling in for a tow to my tire shop will cost less than a OEM run flat tire and maybe a broken rim. The math looks alright to me, and the tire swap should really be the first mod on this car IMO.
      03-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

You won't regret it. I remember that the RFT's made my car feel like there were no shock absorbers. Boy am I glad to be rid of that. I carry an emergency inflation kit, but let's be real, how often do you get a flat tire? It's a fairly infrequent event for me. But just in case I'm far from home, I have the kit.
Which, by the way, fits perfectly in the pass through from the trunk, if you have that. Just open the rear door to the pass through, put it in there, and close her up. Like it was custom made!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

I am considering doing that on my Z4. The RFT have 300 miles on them so about as new as it gets. Problem is how to get rid of them as I have nowhere to store them. They drive me nuts thats for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
I am considering doing that on my Z4. The RFT have 300 miles on them so about as new as it gets. Problem is how to get rid of them as I have nowhere to store them. They drive me nuts thats for sure.
They can be easily resold to people who either like them or need to return their leased cars (in the US) that is. Some people I know even ended making money out of it since normal tires are generally much cheaper.
      03-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
VailM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
They can be easily resold to people who either like them or need to return their leased cars (in the US) that is. Some people I know even ended making money out of it since normal tires are generally much cheaper.
Fair enough, I would have to see if they would sell here in Switzerland but Z4 is very very rare here not many medium end cars here its either Fcar or a VW.

Whats the dimension on the 326 tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
TitanTim
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automo...nflat_ext3.asp

If you fit non runflats ensure you go for and XL rated tire with a stiffer sidewall. Whilst many will say its revelation swapping to standard tyres for ride quality not many mention the lack of crisp turn that will be lost. Question 3 on the link explains.

I know where your coming from, with me using the Z3 with all season tyres which have a relatively soft compound over winter and jumping back in the Z4 it does feel rough but I find after a while you just get used to it. Personally I don't mind RFs, even as said its rare you get a puncture but when you do you can bet it will be at the most inconvienient time where I would just rather drive on. Using the mobility kit is very hit and miss depending on the puncture have heard of many fails when its needed most. Instead of using the foam gunk a tyre plug kit can be better and instant. The only downer I see for RFs is if I do get a puncture and run the tyre for any distance it will need replacing as the structure of the tyre wil have been compromised, its plus and minuses. I'm still uncertain with fitting non runflats where according to BMW the cars chassis and suspension has been optimised to work with RFs.

Tim.
      03-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z-4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
You won't regret it. I remember that the RFT's made my car feel like there were no shock absorbers. Boy am I glad to be rid of that. I carry an emergency inflation kit, but let's be real, how often do you get a flat tire? It's a fairly infrequent event for me. But just in case I'm far from home, I have the kit.
Which, by the way, fits perfectly in the pass through from the trunk, if you have that. Just open the rear door to the pass through, put it in there, and close her up. Like it was custom made!
I took Japarnes advice, after riding around for 4 years on run flats, I have had enough, on my new 2014 - will be NON run flats, and I purchased the Repair kit - 159.00 from BMW too - If anyone wants my Brand new tires, (run flats) - just make me an offer, also will be selling the new 515 rims too, I ordered a set of 293 rims (Turbine style) - for my new 2014 which should be here by Mid April. Am open to offers for the Run flats and Rims, and can't wait to drive it on the New Michilins that Jparnes told me about - Thanks Jparnes - its information like this, that really help on this web site !

PHIL
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
TuscSam
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Hi, I have owned three Z4's 2 of which have been E89 examples and I changed each car to Non Run Flat tyres. In my pre 2008 Z4 the ride was so hard on run flats both coils on the rear snapped and were replaced by BMW under warranty, I changed to normal tyres immediately after. Every car since then has had Falken 452's allround and they are fantastic my current Z4 is the 35i and handles beautifully, its still a firm ride but not bone crushing. I did a 2,500mile Europe tour no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTim View Post
Whilst many will say its revelation swapping to standard tyres for ride quality not many mention the lack of crisp turn that will be lost.
Steel roller skates would probably offer more grip on the front of the E89 than the stock Bridgestone RFT's. The stock RFT's are why almost every review of the E89 Z4 gets bad marks for understeer. I did one Autocross and wanted to burn them. 22K miles on the rears and the fronts probably would have gone another 20K miles - hard as rocks. If you purchase Michelin Pilot Super Sports non RFT's and cannot immediately notice a huge improvement in understeer, as in a thing of the past, you are not driving your car very hard.

This BMW talk sounds great, however read between the lines.

"And this also means that the replacement wheel (the marketing folks don't even know the difference between a wheel and tire- you mount a tire on a wheel) with the BMW star symbol is the same as the OEM tyre that left the plant or production line. The BMW Group is fitting run-flat tyres (RSC) as a premium (read that as a BMW Cost saving) solution on all of its current models, in either the standard or optional equipment" range.

I'll admit to a safety advantage, if you get a flat, for the RFT's. On the other hand the RFT's give the car a poor safety mark for understeer. Remember look where you want to go on those Italian Tornati's.

Don't go here with your RFT's, unless you really want to punish yourself and your passenger.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Listen, upgrading to a good non RFT will be a huge improvement in every respect; we are on our second set. The latest being Michelin PSS, which are incredible concerning ride, grip, turn-in, longevity, and . . . every other aspect you can list. RFTs do one thing well - they let you drive at up to 50 mph to a local tire shop should you receive a "flat." They suck at everything else. I long ago decided that the inconvenience of a flat once every few years at most outweighs driving on crap everyday since I own a mobile phone and will call a service if needed or use my BMWSOS. To each his or her own.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Listen, upgrading to a good non RFT will be a huge improvement in every respect; we are on our second set. The latest being Michelin PSS, which are incredible concerning ride, grip, turn-in, longevity, and . . . every other aspect you can list. RFTs do one thing well - they let you drive at up to 50 mph to a local tire shop should you receive a "flat." They suck at everything else. I long ago decided that the inconvenience of a flat once every few years at most outweighs driving on crap everyday since I own a mobile phone and will call a service if needed or use my BMWSOS. To each his or her own.
+1
      03-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Herr K, I don't know how you got 22k out of your OEM rears. My rears were bald with cord showing through at 11K and it sounds like you drive a lot harder than me.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
+1
+2
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1
Herr K, I don't know how you got 22k out of your OEM rears. My rears were bald with cord showing through at 11K and it sounds like you drive a lot harder than me.
Geez, 11k is all you got? I'm at 12K, and I still have plenty of tread left on the rears, enough to make me think I can get at least 20K, if not more. And no one would ever accuse me of driving like a granny!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
VailM3
Captain
Rep

About to tomorrow. Going for set of Michelin PSS tomorrow. Keeping it stock 225/35/19 and 255/55/19. Decided against getting it wider than factory. I am sure the difference between RFT and PSS will be massive enough for my needs/desires.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
About to tomorrow. Going for set of Michelin PSS tomorrow. Keeping it stock 225/35/19 and 255/55/19. Decided against getting it wider than factory. I am sure the difference between RFT and PSS will be massive enough for my needs/desires.
If it is not too late, I'd go 235/35/19 and 265/55/19. That's what I did and I have your same wheel configuration. Fit is perfect, no rub whatsoever.

The PSS's take this car to another level.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
VailM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
If it is not too late, I'd go 235/35/19 and 265/55/19. That's what I did and I have your same wheel configuration. Fit is perfect, no rub whatsoever.

The PSS's take this car to another level.
Its not to late I keep getting conflict messages to go up 1 size on all 4 corners. I am worried about increase noise and tramming. wont i have to get the get the spedo recalculated as speed on the gauges and actual speed will be different.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #21
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Its not to late I keep getting conflict messages to go up 1 size on all 4 corners. I am worried about increase noise and tramming. wont i have to get the get the spedo recalculated as speed on the gauges and actual speed will be different.
Excellent questions!
1) Noise and tramming difference should be negligible.
2) Our Speedo are offset by 3-5%. BMW explains that they did it this way to anticipate people increasing tire size... how weird! All you will be doing is to make the speedo more accurate.

I am going 1 size up in the front (235) and two sizes up in the rear (275). According to the specifications it is the widest I can go on 8" and 9" rims and I know people who did much bigger without rubbing. Should get the tires this Friday.
      03-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
I thought stock is 225/35R19 front and 255/30R19 rear?

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0