New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
ojp5q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 535 x-drive

Garage List
Do you guys ever get the itch (not sexual - it's about cars, I promise)?

I feel like there is something wrong with me. I own a nice 2011 BMW 535 x-drive that is still under warranty and is modded to my liking, with only 16,500 miles on it. It's comfortable, quick, reliable (so far) and I really do love it. It suits my needs living in the mid-Atlantic with its AWD and I have nothing negative to report. I keep her garage kept and I don't drive too much as I live in Washington, DC. When I do drive and I’m behind the wheel it just feels right.

Recently, I had some tax refund money to burn through and added some new rims (343M), grills (M5), tint (35%), and exhaust (F12 M6) because I felt a little bored and got the mod-itch. After a few months of research, planning, and modding, my car is was finally done and (I can't believe I'm typing this) but now I find myself looking at new cars every day!! I must have the new car itch!! I look at 550's, F80/82 M3's and M4's and even new M5's. I could afford a more expensive car, sure, but I’m happy right? I just said it above. I love my car. So, why the hell would I buy a new one?

Does anyone else go through this? I'm thinking about test driving an M5 this weekend. What the hell? Do I need a Xanax or something? This is compulsive.

If you do go through this, what's your story? What car do you have and what car do you want? If you've made the move and bought a new one, did you regret it?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I still look at some cars with a hunger that can not be tamed. All my dream cars are from memories of stupid stunts and nothing could justify buying anyone of those. I still want them badly.
I'm the cheapest bastard ever walking on earth, so buying anything is hard for me. I spend every second while shopping for anything second guessing my decision and hate myself for every penny that parts my death grip. Than being written, it doesn't mean I do not get the itch.

I recently saw an M5, that blew my belief system away. It has taken me days just not to go to the dealer and say fuck it, I'm not waiting for the M4. There is no way for me to use logic in this thing, with any car I want, cause I seriously do not need a car. We have one, we are here for 2 years, and then it's back to the car tax hell, and apparently they rip you off nowadays even if you bring in your own used car.

I would highly recommend you to go to a pediatrician, they might have the highest understanding when it comes to stopping uncontrollable behavior (adhd and such are common nowadays), but if I thought for a minute it would help, I would be in a reception of one already.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Yes! And it is a very expensive disease!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

Yes and if I had the space, I would never sell another car again. I even look at old/older cars. I still want a 90 civic hatch to do a motor swap on, another DSM to build, another Evo for a track car, a 1M, a 335D, and Im sure there are plenty more. What I have done to help curb some of this want is to buy a cool car that I have wanted for a while. When I start to get bored of it, I buy a mod (1!), then drive it and enjoy the mod. When I get bored, I rinse and repeat. It also helps to have a fun Daily Driver and a badass car in the garage for weekends. Also a fun truck, when you dont want to drive your DD...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Absolutely. I was very close to selling my car for an E92 M3 recently. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I already love my car the way it is and an M3 isn't going to make me THAT much happier.

A 911 turbo on the other hand might make me THAT much more happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
ojp5q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Yes, Yes, and Yes.
I would highly recommend you to go to a pediatrician, they might have the highest understanding when it comes to stopping uncontrollable behavior (adhd and such are common nowadays), but if I thought for a minute it would help, I would be in a reception of one already.
haha...do you mean a psychiatrist? I think a pediatrician would tell me to get lost. Thanks for the input though. It's good to hear I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
Yes! And it is a very expensive disease!
I imagine so. Especially if I go get the M5 i'm looking at this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
What I have done to help curb some of this want is to buy a cool car that I have wanted for a while. When I start to get bored of it, I buy a mod (1!), then drive it and enjoy the mod. When I get bored, I rinse and repeat.
I really like this idea. Too bad I already did all of my modding. I would have several cars, but that's hard and REALLY expensive in a city where a parking spot can cost you $30K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Absolutely. I was very close to selling my car for an E92 M3 recently. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I already love my car the way it is and an M3 isn't going to make me THAT much happier.

A 911 turbo on the other hand might make me THAT much more happy.
This is a good point. Will the M5 make me THAT much happier?? Probably, haha. And dude, those 911's are sick. Just drove a 991 Turbo S for the first time a few weekends ago (in the friggin rain...still a beast) and I am in loooove.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Lups
Rep

No shrink can help you with this, they start googling their new car the second you tell them you want help in a matter this serious. A pediatrician has the training to handle juvenile customers, so I'd take that root.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
ojp5q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
No shrink can help you with this, they start googling their new car the second you tell them you want help in a matter this serious. A pediatrician has the training to handle juvenile customers, so I'd take that root.
Ahhh, I follow. Good advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Gle8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4Mc

Every day. I've gone through 6 cars in the past 3 years, and even with the new (to me) Z4M, I'm still out there looking.

My desktop background is a blue screen with "DON'T LOOK AT CARS" in big block letters running across it, and even that hasn't helped. To be fair, when I open the web browser it covers it up....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
Every day. I've gone through 6 cars in the past 3 years, and even with the new (to me) Z4M, I'm still out there looking.

My desktop background is a blue screen with "DON'T LOOK AT CARS" in big block letters running across it, and even that hasn't helped. To be fair, when I open the web browser it covers it up....
My specialty are the explanations why I need it. Here I can admit honestly, that I have absolutely no use for the M4, it's actually quite useless in my situation. I can even own up to the fact that putting 80 grand in this thing will end up costing me big time, since apparently our tax laws back home have taken an other nose dive to communism.

Now, that said, I may as well add the fact that hell will freeze over before I let the rational part of me dictate this one. I've done all I can to support the family, I've invested every penny I make for the future, I never buy anything outside stocks, and the last good pair of socks I had gave up on me this morning.

The reason it took my husband 5 years to decide on his next car was simple. I didn't let him sell our old one, and as humiliating as it is to say, it was not for the driving excellence, it was the memories I had with that one. It's the same story with all of them, so it's a helluva fight to get me give up something I want to keep. If it was up to me, our front lawn would be on asphalt, and history would stay in my sight.

Now, the new stuff. I hardly ever want something, but from experience i know by now, that the things I do want, I better just buy, or it will cost me big time later. I'm so glad I rarely feel this way about anything expensive, I would have been broke a long time ago otherwise.

I know I'm pathetic, but hell I just give you guys hope by setting the standard really low.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
EdgeCrusher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I've got it right now... really looking at trading the X1 for a M4/M5
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

I want to see what the new M2 (I like 2M better) has to offer when it comes out. If I like it, I might get rid of my 135 for it. But Ill see how I feel by then
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i'm always looking and wanting cars. it seems like very month i'm in love with something else. it's hard to keep from buying all the time. i would love to have a large stable of cars.
      04-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i for sure want and look at other cars. although modding my current cars does keep me interested. but my mods are much heavier. i like to dramatically improve the looks, sounds and performance over years of mods. this keeps the car special and custom to my liking. i am keeping the M3 somewhat stock, and it really annoys me.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #16
ojp5q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
i for sure want and look at other cars. although modding my current cars does keep me interested. but my mods are much heavier. i like to dramatically improve the looks, sounds and performance over years of mods. this keeps the car special and custom to my liking. i am keeping the M3 somewhat stock, and it really annoys me.
Any pics of your current whip?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #17
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

And here I thought I was the only one with this problem.....

I am on my 6th BMW in 6 years and about to make another trade....

And this doesn't count cars for my wife.

It is a sickness, but sure is fun while you do it. Not financially smart tho.

Bah, too much analyzing.
      04-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #18
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

OMG yeah I have a chronic version of this disease.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #19
Lups
Rep

Could someone just find us a doctor and negotiate a group deal for the treatment? We will save the cash in no time by not knowing our dealers whole suit collection.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:37 AM   #20
jasone1972
Rep
Drives: bmw 1 series

I always do I fall in love with a car buy it and within a few months I find myself looking at autotrader currently own I 116 m sport which I'm happy with but I'm fancying a golf r????
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #21
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojp5q View Post

Recently, I had some tax refund money to burn through and added some new rims (343M), grills (M5), tint (35%), and exhaust (F12 M6) because I felt a little bored and got the mod-itch. After a few months of research, planning, and modding, my car is was finally done and (I can't believe I'm typing this) but now I find myself looking at new cars every day!! I must have the new car itch!! I look at 550's, F80/82 M3's and M4's and even new M5's. I could afford a more expensive car, sure, but I’m happy right? I just said it above. I love my car. So, why the hell would I buy a new one?
How do you get that much tax refund money?! I always end up having to pay A LOT...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #22
ojp5q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
How do you get that much tax refund money?! I always end up having to pay A LOT...
haha...it's not like that every year. I bought a house.
Appreciate 0