New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #111
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Funny you say that. I was just thinking the same. Though I only know of 4 in the immediate PDX area (you, me, Silver-Bolt, and now Bob). Welcome Bob. Can't wait to see pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
We can almost a little club of the E89 of Portland now. It is like 5 or 6 of us...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #112
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Funny you say that. I was just thinking the same. Though I only know of 4 in the immediate PDX area (you, me, Silver-Bolt, and now Bob). Welcome Bob. Can't wait to see pics.
Well there is also Jim Patterson in Eugene. Kind of a stretch but hey it counts.
I thought there was one more. I'd have to look it up a bit.
      09-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #113
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Haha, just realized I didn't formally introduced myself either. I just came back to Toronto this year (had a long stint in HK) and recently bought a 35i, only my 2nd car (1st was a 2002 Acura RSX). Married and no plans for kids, so, believe it or not, this is my only car.

There seems to be many from Torontonians and Ontarians on this board so hopefully we can organize a meet someday.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #114
entrepreneur177
из Кремля
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: Z4 35s, CLS63 AMG

Hi everybody! I currently live in California, with my new 35i! Originally from Russia, Moscow. My previous cars were Subaru Impreza STI, Mercedes-Benz C300, Focus ST. All of them were modified. Nice to meet you all!)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #115
AKFROMTHEUK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Hi all

Been reading the forum for a few weeks now whilst waiting for my new 35iS to arrive and after 500 miles I feel it’s my duty to write my first post on the forum in the form of an initial review!

I’m Andy and I live in Surrey in good old Blighty (I see we’ve been asked to introduce ourselves!) but more importantly, on to the car.

I’ve had a few BMWs now (my last non BMW was a Toyota MR2 GT in about 1990) but since then had a Z3 (because James Bond had one!), a 320 and a 2003 Z4 which has now made way for the new one. Still have 2006 330i M Sport Saloon (for practical reasons!!).

Anyway here’s the spec with a few comments added...

Black Sapphire – love it! Nightmare to clean (although I haven’t yet!) but well worth the effort, looked amazing just out of the showroom. Thought about the White with red or black leather but went for the stealth look instead! I think White with Red is the most striking and noticeable but prefer the more subtle look – will let the exhaust and stereo make all the noise!

Black Kansas Leather.

19” 326 M alloys. Never had 19s before and coming from the old Z4 was very apprehensive about the ride (old Z was really firm on 18s and put me off driving it any really long distances). No need to have worried though as even in Sport mode the ride still seems more comfortable than the old one – much less tram lining too. I think they look great with the black paintwork, just dreading the inevitable first kerb contact, don’t know if it’ll be more emotional if it’s me or the Mrs that does it first!!

LOGIC7 Professional Loudspeaker System. Got the equivalent on my 3 Series so was expecting great things. Was bitterly disappointed at the start as the sound was awful and thought I’d wasted £800. Tried every setting but couldn’t find one that made the radio, CD and Ipod all sound good without having to change the settings for each one (in the 3 I found what I liked straightaway and it works just as well for any input). Anyway, I sort of thought that speakers needed time to loosen up and it seems that’s just what they’ve done and the sound is a lot better now (that or my ears have adjusted to the different sound). Whether it’s still as good as the 3 is debateable although the bass is definitely much deeper (from the subs which the 3 doesn’t have). Not really been the weather for top-down driving yet but guess the extra bass will be good for that when the time comes. 14 speakers around 2 seats should be enough though!!

Seat heating. Love it and would never buy a car again without it. Just wish I could press a button from inside the house to turn it on before I get into it on the cold winter mornings!

Steering wheel heating. Ditto above, however, it does seem to reach a certain temperature and then cool off (with it still being switched on) then gets hot again – obviously some sort of thermostat involved but would love it to stay really hot all the time it’s on. Makes you keep two hands on the wheel in the winter so a good safety device too!!

Wind deflector. On the last Z4 we just kept it in place all the time as makes such a difference and will do the same with this one.

Ext and Int mirrors – folding and auto dimming. The exterior mirrors are really funky – obviously photosensitive (or whatever the word is!) Apart from about a 5mm area around the outside of the mirror, they darken (almost to black) when headlights from behind the car hit them.

Park Distance Control – front and rear. To save using the mirrors and crunching the long front end on anything!

Extended Storage. Not sure exactly what’s included in this option but it came in the Comfort Package with the w/deflector, mirrors and PDC. Didn’t go for Sat Nav so there’s a space to put your sunglasses instead (won’t need that for a while then!).

Through-loading storage bag. Haven’t used it yet but will be perfect for the golf clubs (or anything else long and thin!). It also comes with the parts to turn the “hole” into a small storage compartment.

Other things...

Love the Oxide Silver wing mirrors and they’re a great complement to the black bodywork. They also seem to highlight the small detailing within the front spoiler – also match the grille. Not so sure they’d look so good with silver bodywork as the contrast wouldn’t be so great.

No front fogs – strange on a car like that but guess the Zenons make up for that. Back lights are amazing though – look like 2 long, floating red bars.
Antenna – seen a few posts about changing for a Stubby but don’t think I will, doesn’t upset me enough!

Heating – Incredibly powerful system but seems there’s no vent directly onto your feet, only onto your knee (after it’s nearly melted the key fob which hangs right in the way!)

DCT – tough one this as obviously didn’t have the choice with this engine. Would always go for a manual normally as I feel you have more control but I thought, with all the settings the DCT offers, there’d be at least one I liked! Also wanted a sub 5 second 0-60 car so decided I must have the 35iS engine! Haven’t played around too much yet but I do like the idea of the versatility of using the normal auto setting for pottering about in traffic, Sport mode for a clear road, and the paddles for when I’m very late!

Brake callipers – very disappointingly dull! I’m sure they’re more than capable of stopping me as quick as I’d hoped but with the 326 alloys showing so much of them I wish they were a bit sexier – at least gloss black. Not sure I want to spend £3k upgrading them to Brembo’s as it’s more of a cosmetic than performance issue for me.

Exhaust – wish it was a quad but can’t really argue with the sound it produces. The only annoying thing it is seems more noticeable to someone standing on the kerb than to me inside the car!

All in all totally happy with my new toy – keep popping out to the garage every evening to have a look at it! On a similar note, the new Z is a lot wider than the previous one and barely fits in the garage. Might have to get the 2 single doors changed for one large one to get it in without worrying about scraping it. That’s about the same cost as the Brembo’s so have a dilemma!!!

Sorry for the long thread and apologies the pics aren't great (all I could manage with a Blackberry and not much daylight!) but had to get some of my excitement off my chest!

If you go down to the woods today....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #116
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Andy, welcome! Great combo
      11-28-2010, 03:32 AM   #117
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
Andy, welcome! Great combo
Great Rims, I like them... I agree with you, the break disk are awfully disappointing... You will certainly need a bigger disc and a colored caliper cover... Enjoy the ride
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #118
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Agree with the sound system. Sounded terrible at first but after 7 hours of break-in during a long trip the speakers sound a LOT better especially with quality media such as a Sony BlueCD or audophile test CDs.

I also REALLY like the oxide silver mirrors. They match the colour of the 326M rims perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #119
texref
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Relatively new to the forum, joined when I stated looking into the E89 Z4. My previous BMWs have only had 2 wheels. Great fun, but with retirement approaching I picked up this ED for fun rain or shine, since its pretty close to 2 wheel fun.

Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/Brushed Al Trim, N54, 6sp Man, Prem Sound, Comfort Access, Power/Heated Seats, Nav, & Sport Pack.

A few photos from our recent ED - which were 18 fantastic days in Germany.

Thanks HerrK, always wondered what a red on red Z4 would look like. Now I know

As for me, Denver, CO. Quite aways from getting a Z4 but really want one. Looked at many other roadsters out there and the Z4 just grabbed me.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #120
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yellow 2011 Z4 sdrive30i

Been driving SLKs

...for a while now, both first & second gen (currently driving a first gen). I'm seriously considering an E89, was wondering if anyone here has experience with both & can offer any sage advice/opinions.

So far, I think the interior of the E89 is much nicer & much more comfortable than the SLK. Ive driven the 30 (which is the engine I'm interested in), seems more than powerful enough for my tastes. One thing that concerns me is the low driving position & overall length of the car...it seems to go on forever. It kinda reminds me of the roadster Peter Griffen bought during his middle age crazy crisis in Family Guy.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #121
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atebit View Post
So far, I think the interior of the E89 is much nicer & much more comfortable than the SLK. Ive driven the 30 (which is the engine I'm interested in), seems more than powerful enough for my tastes. One thing that concerns me is the low driving position & overall length of the car...it seems to go on forever. It kinda reminds me of the roadster Peter Griffen bought during his middle age crazy crisis in Family Guy.
That long, priapic bonnet (as Jeremy Clarkson put it) is one of the reasons why the car looks so good. Sure, it takes some time to get used to it when behind the wheel, but I wouldn't worry about it. After all, I used to drive a car that was about as long as the Z4 bonnet

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #122
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
That long, priapic bonnet (as Jeremy Clarkson put it) is one of the reasons why the car looks so good. Sure, it takes some time to get used to it when behind the wheel, but I wouldn't worry about it. After all, I used to drive a car that was about as long as the Z4 bonnet

You came from a Smart car to a Z4? Talk about extremes in the hood dept.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #123
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
You came from a Smart car to a Z4? Talk about extremes in the hood dept.
I bet it took you a little longer than a bit to get used to the Z4 bonnet (??!!)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #124
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

I did have the Smart roadster in-between so it wasn't that huge a leap

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:26 AM   #125
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

You noob!

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #126
Lackey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 M Sport Vert

Garage List
2011 Z4 30i  [7.00]
Happy New Year Gang. I was finally able to add a couple of pics to my Garage, how to post them here is unknown - driving me crazy. Old dog, new tricks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #127
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Good.. happy New Year all!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #128
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

UK Newbie (noob)...

Hi Guys,

Another UK Newbie (noob) here. Got the old girl a few weeks ago and am feeling the pain of the 35i low commute mpg and high fuel costs here in the UK, but still loving every minute!

Here are some pics to share originally from the dealer, weather permitting, I'll get some nicer ones:

Hopefully once the weather improves over here, I can really let her rip!

Stubby is already on from my previous e85, and I'm just waiting for some gloss black kidney grills to arrive to give her a more aggressive look.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #129
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep

Welcome aboard!!
      01-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #130
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Nice car there ManiaGT, welcome aboard!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #131
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Wow, ManiaGT, you even have the navigation? I keep looking for a used one, but almost none seem to have the navigation. Is it a 2009?

I figure once the first leases are up in summer 2011 there will be more used ones available.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #132
Lackey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 M Sport Vert

Garage List
2011 Z4 30i  [7.00]
Very nice, ManiacGT!!!! Welcome aboard.
Appreciate 0