New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

E89 Z4 Crash Test

Although painful to watch, but helps build confidence that the E89 Z4 is tough for a small sports car and the price tag which many have shun from starts to shed some light

Appreciate 2
      04-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
WOW! Let's hope none of us have to experience that first hand. Thank goodness for seatbelts and air bags!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I went to the Euro NCAP site to find out why it only got 3 out of 5 stars... Here are some of the things I found that they dinged it on:
  • No knee airbags for driver or passenger
  • No side pelvis airbags for driver or passenger
  • No integrated Child seat for the passenger seat (seriously?)
  • No automatic emergency braking (counted twice since they have it for "city" and "Inter-urban")
  • No speed assistance
  • No lane assist system

Their notes on Adult Occupant:

Quote:
The passenger compartment of the Z4 remained stable in the frontal impact. Dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs of both the driver and passenger dummies. BMW showed that a similar leve4l of protection would be provided to occupants of different sizes and to those sat in different positions. In the full width rigid barrier test, the protection of all critical body regions was good and the Z4 scored maximum points in this test. Maximum points were scored also in the side impact barrier test, with good all-round protection. No pole test was performed for the assessment. The seats and head restraints demonstrated good protection against whiplash injury in the event of a rear-end collision. An autonomous braking system is not available on the Z4.
Notes on Child Occupant:

Quote:
As the Z4 is a two-seater, the assessment of child protection is based on the features available in the vehicle for safe transport of children in the front passenger seat, and on the installation of various types of restraints in that seating position. The front passenger airbag can be disabled to allow a rearward facing child restraint to be used in that seating position. However, the information provided to the driver regarding the status of the airbag is not sufficiently clear and the system was not rewarded. All of the restraint types for which the Z4 is designed could be properly installed and accommodated.
Pedestrian protection:

Quote:
The Z4 has an 'active' bonnet. Sensors in the bumper detect when a pedestrian has been struck and actuators list the bonnet, creating more space between the surface and the hard structures in the engine compartment. BMW showed that the bonnet would deploy robustly over a range of speeds and for a variety of pedestrian statures. Accordingly, the bonnet was tested in the deployed (raised) position. Results were almost predominantly good or adequate on bonnet surface. The bumper offered good or adequate protection to pedestrians' legs and protection of the pelvis region was good at all test locations.
My takeaway from this? The Z4 would be a 4 to 5 star car if it wasn't getting dinged for not having the electronic nannies or a less than ideal indication on the state of the passenger airbag for child seats. Pretty good results I think!
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post

My takeaway from this? The Z4 would be a 4 to 5 star car if it wasn't getting dinged for not having the electronic nannies or a less than ideal indication on the state of the passenger airbag for child seats. Pretty good results I think!
Practically yes.....I agree
Appreciate 0