New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Florida Vacations - Destin or Clearwater?

I'm considering either - any thoughts from Florida people or those who have been there?

This is a family vacation, have a son who is 1.5 years old, so we are looking for family friendly places and things to do.

Any other recommendations / things I should be considering? I'm on a pretty tight budget, since my play money up here doesn't go quite as far when I translate it into your money....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Clearwater consistently makes the list of top 10 U.S. beaches. Lots of shops, food, lodging, etc... Pretty central as well. You can be in Tampa in 30min. St. Pete in 20min. Palm Harbor in 15 min. You can rent boats, stand up paddle boards, kayaks, wave runners, go parasailing, etc...

Plus, Frenchy's is there. Home of the worlds best grouper sandwich. You can skip over to Farmer's Creamery in St. Pete for some of the best home made ice cream on the east coast.

With a tight budget, the beaches in clearwater offer plenty of soft sand to lounge around on. They're pretty big, talking a good 300yds of beach between the parking lot and water.
      05-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Clearwater over Destin for sure. As mentioned it's considered one of the best beaches in the country and it's very central allowing you to be in Tampa, Orlando or Miami in a relatively short amount of time. Nice beach with more stuff to do nearby.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
I second Mr Tonka 's sentiments. If you cannot get down to Naples where the real shit goes down (kidding, unless you like shuffleboard, then not kidding), then Clearwater is pretty great. Funny how that currency fluctuation works. A few years ago the Canadians were snapping up real estate because of it... now, y'all are complaining because your house currency-adjusted obligations went up, if you financed them with US banks in US dollars.
C'mon down though. We love you down here.

(#nohomo)
      05-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Check out Seaside Fl ( just east of Destin) and Grayton beach state park.

white sugar sand for miles...
      05-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Coming into Tampa or St. Pete / Clearwater airports are equally easy and convenient. Exit Tampa airport and head west for 15 min and you're in Clearwater. 15 more min and you're on Clearwater Beach.

I only mention because choosing a flight that goes into St. Pete/Clearwater isn't necessary. It only saves you about a 15 min drive.

The Emerald coast is beautiful, no question. But you can only sit on a beach applying sunscreen to a toddler for so many hours. So much more to do in the Bay Area. Tampa has a nice aquarium. You can take in a Rays game if they are in town. (they play in St. Pete) Tampa has historic Ybor City which was home to several cigar factories, now to bistros and a collection of eclectic shops. The micro brewery scene here has exploded recently. Loads of good food on both sides of the Bay. There are places with authentic Cuban food and flamenco dancers. Ft. De Soto park at the souther tip of St. Pete is a great beach. Ferry rides to Egmont Key is fun and the water out there is like being in Key West.

Many times i tell people to just stay in Tampa to avoid the beach resort hotel prices unless they are looking for the "beach vacation". But if you're looking for vaca and plan on hitting the beach 2 or 3 days out of 7, may as well stay somewhere less expensive and more central to everything. If you're going to spend every day on the beach or by a pool, find a condo or beach house to rent. They'll have private beaches and pools (typically) for you to use. And don't be afraid to meander south towards St. Pete to say, Indian Rocks Beach. Slightly more secluded but still 10 min from everything.

If you make up your mind for the Bay Area, hit me up and i'll give you more details.
      05-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Coming into Tampa or St. Pete / Clearwater airports are equally easy and convenient. Exit Tampa airport and head west for 15 min and you're in Clearwater. 15 more min and you're on Clearwater Beach.

I only mention because choosing a flight that goes into St. Pete/Clearwater isn't necessary. It only saves you about a 15 min drive.

The Emerald coast is beautiful, no question. But you can only sit on a beach applying sunscreen to a toddler for so many hours. So much more to do in the Bay Area. Tampa has a nice aquarium. You can take in a Rays game if they are in town. (they play in St. Pete) Tampa has historic Ybor City which was home to several cigar factories, now to bistros and a collection of eclectic shops. The micro brewery scene here has exploded recently. Loads of good food on both sides of the Bay. There are places with authentic Cuban food and flamenco dancers. Ft. De Soto park at the souther tip of St. Pete is a great beach. Ferry rides to Egmont Key is fun and the water out there is like being in Key West.

Many times i tell people to just stay in Tampa to avoid the beach resort hotel prices unless they are looking for the "beach vacation". But if you're looking for vaca and plan on hitting the beach 2 or 3 days out of 7, may as well stay somewhere less expensive and more central to everything. If you're going to spend every day on the beach or by a pool, find a condo or beach house to rent. They'll have private beaches and pools (typically) for you to use. And don't be afraid to meander south towards St. Pete to say, Indian Rocks Beach. Slightly more secluded but still 10 min from everything.

If you make up your mind for the Bay Area, hit me up and i'll give you more details.
This ^^^ Also, the "little" local beaches are usually way less crowded. They may not have as many "amenities" as the big beaches, but they are usually quieter and less hectic. What time of year are you thinking?
      05-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Ft Desoto park and the surrounding chain of islands. Souther tip of St. Pete. Cross the channel and you're in Bradenton/Sarasota area. Egmont Key is just out of frame at the top right. Need to take a ferry or rent a boat to get there.

Shell island, only accessible by water craft, is in the foreground and Ft. Desoto is in the back ground. (with the road on it) You can rent kayaks at Ft Desoto and paddle up behind Shell island where the water is clear and still due to the island absorbing the surf from the Gulf. You'll see loads of birds, rays, tarpon, maybe dolphins, if you're really lucky maybe a baby shark or a sea turtle. Much of that area is shallow enough to walk around on as well.

No motorized water craft allowed behind Shell island, so you tend to feel like you're all alone out there. It's a pretty cool place.
      05-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Pretty interesting no one mentioned Destin...

As it has the whitest and most beautiful sands of any beaches in the entire USA, is in the cheapest part of Florida and looks like this-

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP

As it has the whitest and most beautiful sands of any beaches in the entire USA, is in the cheapest part of Florida and looks like this-

[IMG]http://n.b5z.net/i/u/10129426/i/syst...ault_r1_c2.jpg[/IMG]
Some people like to do things after the sun sets. Panhandle is a ghost town after 9pm. But yes, very pretty.

05-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Sarasota and Siesta Key Beach - consistently voted one of the best beaches in the US year over year. The sand is Snow White and like powdered sugar

Sarasota also has:
Mote Marine Aquarium
Ringling Museum - and most of the exhibits are free during the week.
Downtown Sarasota is easy to walk around without the 'bustle' of a city like Tampa/St. Pete
Big Cat Sanctuary and Preserve
Great minor league baseball team
The other beach access points are easy to navigate without the tourist crap to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #12
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

Nope - Siesta Key Beach holds that honor for Florida
Quote:
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #13
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

If you want a "better" beach in terms of sand, water, etc, Destin hands down in my opinion. If you want more options to do things other than just the beach, Clearwater/Tampa/St. Pete no question. Decide what is more important to you. Enjoy the trip regardless of where you end up.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #14
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Can't really speak to the OP's question of Clearwater vs Destin but I will say if you are looking at the Florida panhandle, consider the Seaside/Watercolor/Alys Beach area which is to the east of Destin. Same sugar white beaches, way less crowded and lots of family friendly activities. Give it a look...
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Thanks for the thoughts guys (even jtodd_fl who managed to be mostly civil but without emoticons, I just don't know his true feelings #hurtcanadianfeelings #fakecurrency) - seems like Clearwater gets some good votes!

I hear the comments on Destin, but I think with a 1.5 year old, Clearwater and its proximity to a lot of other things might be a better bet. I'll probably start looking at prices between hotels vs rentals to see where things fall out. Ideally I'd like 2 bedrooms so we can put the kid to sleep and still watch TV or sit on the balcony if it has a view.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #16
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Thanks for the thoughts guys (even jtodd_fl who managed to be mostly civil but without emoticons, I just don't know his true feelings #hurtcanadianfeelings #fakecurrency) - seems like Clearwater gets some good votes!

I hear the comments on Destin, but I think with a 1.5 year old, Clearwater and its proximity to a lot of other things might be a better bet. I'll probably start looking at prices between hotels vs rentals to see where things fall out. Ideally I'd like 2 bedrooms so we can put the kid to sleep and fuck.
Fixed that for you.
But mostly...
      05-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #17
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Fixed that for you.
But mostly...
I have a sweater chest sir. You do not want to see that. And me is the only person I would ever post on here. Plus, I'm really developing a good amount of hair on my shoulders and back.

Basically, I'm turning into Lups.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #18
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I have a sweater chest sir. You do not want to see that. And me is the only person I would ever post on here. Plus, I'm really developing a good amount of hair on my shoulders and back.

Basically, I'm turning into Lups.
Firstly, thank you. Really, thank you.

Secondly, you are turning me into an emoji-loving fool, because there is a perfect one for this... please stand by...

05-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #19
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

If you only have the son who is 1.5 yrs, you're pretty good at any beach down here. He won't care as long as it's Sandy and wet. So I would say pick the location for you and your wife and you'll all be happy. That said, the gulf Coast from Clearwater to Naples would be the best bet for a small child. Shallow warmer water, little to no waves.

Clearwater has a 20s-40s crowd. Think tailgate. Lots of good seafood restaurants activities etc.

Fort Desoto is good if you want to camp etc

Siesta key is more picturesque and has the best sand. Super white it never gets hot in the sun.

Sanibel-Captiva is laid back island life with great shelling. Where I went as a kid.

There's others too but those would make my list.

If you have older kids and want Disney etc, then do Clearwater.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Where in FL do they let you swim with the Manatee's..? Some river..?

I believe they are know as the Labrador Retriever of the water...

THIS is where I'd like to visit
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #21
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Crystal river. Close to Clearwater and Destin. More the sea cow of the water.https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ldlife-Viewing
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #22
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Daytona Beach.

Hit the bars till you drop.
Appreciate 0