New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #45
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
I knew a girl whose nickname was meat locker.... probably not the same concept though. She was not far from cheap.
Does she have "roast beef" lips?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #46
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Does she have "roast beef" lips?
Beef curtains sir
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #47
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
I've dry aged beef a couple times at varying periods of 30, 45 and 60 days in my own mini fridge in the basement. I've posted about it in the BBQ & Grilling thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=172

Step 1: Get a large slab of beef, preferably with the bone in and fat cap intact.

Step 2: Age in temperature and humidity controlled space with adequate airflow. I used an old mini fridge in the basement with a small fan. The temperature in my mini fridge fluctuated wildly so I had to check on it at least twice a day to make minor adjustments.

Step 3: I aged this slab for 30 days. Most say you need at least 21 days to notice any appreciable improvements in tenderness. I found 30 days to be the sweet spot with a beefier flavor and good tenderness. At 45 days, the tenderness is even better but the flavor takes on a cheesy/nutty aroma, which is an acquired taste.

Step 4: Trim off dried crust. Started with a 8 lb slab. After the moisture loss and trim from the dry aging process, I am left with just over 5 lbs. Notice the intense, deep purple color of the beef compared to the light pink I started with.

Accounting for the 3 lbs I lost during the dry aging process, I estimate that I paid about ~$18/lb to dry age my own beef, which is easily at least half the price of buying it that way.

Enjoy!
Aging is not easy. Quite often meat can go bad in the refrigerator and have a foul smell after.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #48
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwality
i age my meat slightly differently. you will still use a fridge but i put it in a umai dry aged bag, which allows oxygen and moisture to evaporate from the bag.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-dryb...k-in-house.php

it has an expensive start up cost if you do not have a vacuum sealer. The bags are not cheap either. i do it to help contain juices as I do not have another fridge.

here are some pictures of a choice rib eye 30 day. this was my first attempt and took weekly photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/F7G7VKjLHNAYAX546

i get my meat from costco. good bargain with access to prime grade beef.

since then I have aged the following.

30 day ribeye prime
30 day strip choice
79 day strip prime

currently aging 60 day ribeye prime.
Interesting.. Why age in a bag? I usually let mine sit out on good quality paper towel changing paper towels everyday with fresh new ones as meat turns brown if you do not do so and starts to smell as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #49
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Aging is not easy. Quite often meat can go bad in the refrigerator and have a foul smell after.
Who said it was easy? It certainly isn't for the average Joe with a normal fridge. I had to check and adjust temperature and humidity twice a day for 30, 45 and 60 days because they were fluctuating so wildly.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #50
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

I've aged a ribeye roast using the umai dry bags. Works really well and you can put it in any frig.
Attached Images