New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Update on my paint protection film dilemma

Hello All-

My story is I purchased a white 2009 Z4 35i with under 5,000 miles on it last October. The paint is in perfect condition. I thought the bumper might have paint protection film on it. The BMW dealer where I purchased the car was kind enough to contact the first owner, who is a client of the dealership. The car does not have the film on the bumper. This led me to calling around in my area to get the film installed. I live in South Carolina and there is what appears to be reputable certified installer in Charlotte, NC. This leads me to a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone in the SC/NC area used Auto Sheild Carolinas that could comment on the quality job they did?
2. For Scotchgard 3M Film I was quoted $689.00 (materials, tax and labor included) for a partial hood, bumper, front fenders and mirrors). I was actually expecting the price to be higher. Is this a good price? What have others paid. I know pricing is probably region specific.
3. I was told 3M film is the best product, especially on a white car because it is warranted not to yellow (this was a concern of mine). The installer also carries Venture Sheild but recommmended the Scotchgard 3M. Any opinions on this?

THANKS for any comments you might be able to provide! I am ready to get this done!

Last edited by Jayda; 12-29-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
RichysBlk35i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
Hello All-

My story is I purchased a white 2009 Z4 35i with under 5,000 miles on it last October. The paint is in perfect condition. I thought the bumper might have paint protection film on it. The BMW dealer where I purchased the car was kind enough to contact the first owner, who is a client of the dealership. The car does not have the film on the bumper. This led me to calling around in my area to get the film installed. I live in South Carolina and there is what appears to be reputable certified installer in Charlotte, NC. This leads me to a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone in the SC/NC area used Auto Sheild Carolinas that could comment on the quality job they did?
2. For Scotchgard 3M Film I was quoted $689.00 (materials, tax and labor included) for a partial hood, bumper, front fenders and mirrors). I was actually expecting the price to be higher. Is this a good price? What have others paid. I know pricing is probably region specific.
3. I was told 3M film is the best product, especially on a white car because it is warranted not to yellow (this was a concern of mine). The installer also carries Venture Sheild but recommmended the Scotchgard 3M. Any opinions on this?

THANKS for any comments you might be able to provide! I am ready to get this done!
Hi Jayda,
I have not had film installed on my 2011 35i but I did have Scothgard 3M Film installed on a Nissan 350Z I had at the time. The car was black. I paid 600.00 total cost to do the same job you are doing. I shopped and that was a great price back in 2004. The installer is very important to the quality of the fit and how smooth the film sits on the paint. I researched quite a bit to find a good installer. I had the car 2 years, waxed it monthly and never had any problems with the film. It did not yellow or dull, and it did a good job protecting the exposed areas. The fit stayed tight and never peeled. So as far as the film, it is a very good choice. But make sure your installer has good references. Mine had done many very expensive exotics for high dollar clients. So be sure before you use anyone. By the way, the film is not as reflective as the clear coat on the paint. On black it is easier to see, but on the Alpine White it should blend in well. Good choice Jayda.

Last edited by RichysBlk35i; 12-29-2011 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: punc
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I paid $700 to have the same areas covered in the 3M material back in December of 2009. I had the BMW dealer that I purchased my car from do the work. My dealer has a re-conditioning department that specializes in this. They did an excellent job. I did have to bring it back for on small blemish that they were more than happy to re-do for me. It is important that you find a good installer otherwise you could end up with a less than perfect job in which you would have air bubbles. The hood is easy, but I was told the bumper with the curves is harder to do. I also had this done on an '06 Z4 and it still was in pristine condition when I traded it three years later for my 2010.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z428i

Here's something to think about. I have installed a 3M clear bra on several cars in the last 3 or 4 years. Lexus GS350, Cadilliac CTS, Corvette, and Mini Cooper S. My installer has been in business many years and does not recommend installing the 3M material on the bumpers. The reason is because the bumper is made of ABS plastic. In his words, you are putting plastic on top of plastic. On my cars he has installed 3M material on the hood (18") fender tips, mirrors, A pillars, headlights, and fogs. The cost is $269.00 on one car and $289.00 on anothere. Lexus and Cadilliac. The Corvette was $269.00. For what it's worth, the full window tint on the Lexus was $180.00, on the Corvette was $199.00, and the Cadilliac was $180.00. No problems what so ever on any of the cars in over 2 to 4 years. You may want to question your installer the benifits of installing 3M material on an ABS (plastic) bumper. Now would be the time to ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Here's something to think about. I have installed a 3M clear bra on several cars in the last 3 or 4 years. Lexus GS350, Cadilliac CTS, Corvette, and Mini Cooper S. My installer has been in business many years and does not recommend installing the 3M material on the bumpers. The reason is because the bumper is made of ABS plastic. In his words, you are putting plastic on top of plastic. On my cars he has installed 3M material on the hood (18") fender tips, mirrors, A pillars, headlights, and fogs. The cost is $269.00 on one car and $289.00 on anothere. Lexus and Cadilliac. The Corvette was $269.00. For what it's worth, the full window tint on the Lexus was $180.00, on the Corvette was $199.00, and the Cadilliac was $180.00. No problems what so ever on any of the cars in over 2 to 4 years. You may want to question your installer the benifits of installing 3M material on an ABS (plastic) bumper. Now would be the time to ask.
Interesting, the bumper on the Z4 is huge, it is perhaps the most important to me in terms of protection!

PS- The place is highly rated in terms of google reviews! I would love it if someone on this board from my area knows of the place. I do know they have only certified installers. Auto Sheild Carolinas comes up as a certified installer on the 3M website too.

Last edited by Jayda; 12-29-2011 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
timwhayden
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4is AW/Walnut

Garage List
I recently had an install done on my Gallardo:front bumper,entire hood, entire front fenders, mirrors, rocker panels, door sills and rear fender splash areas for $1800 in Memphis area. I researched a lot and decided to use Venture Shield instead of 3M on the recommendations of several based on durability, luster, dullness etc. However the 3M is highly regarded and don't think you could go wrong with it either. As everyone else has said it is highly dependent on the skill of the installer. I don't think the plastic bumper theory holds water: the film is bonding to the paint not the plastic under it and the front bumper is the one place that needs it the most!
'07 Lamborghini Gallardo
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
I went with Venture Shield as well. Mostly because at the time they offered lifetime warranty on everything. It's my understanding that Venture Shield was bought by 3M this year and 3M swiftly reduced all warranty to 5 years only. You might want to ask your installer about warranty offered.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
I went with Venture Shield as well. Mostly because at the time they offered lifetime warranty on everything. It's my understanding that Venture Shield was bought by 3M this year and 3M swiftly reduced all warranty to 5 years only. You might want to ask your installer about warranty offered.
Yes, the warranty is 5 years I was told.
      12-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
If the paint needs to be protected, what's the problem with plastic on plastic?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Would you do the full hood?

I found another an installer in Charleston, SC that was highly recommended by someone I know and trust. I called them and was impressed by their knowledge. They have a great website, great reviews, etc. They also give a discount for BMWCCA members. So I am going to go with them. They suggested doing the full hood vs. partial due to all the hood on the Z4 which can take a beating. This would also eliminate the line that comes with a partial hood. I'm interested if others would do the full hood? Their quote is $700 for partial hood, bumper, mirrors, fenders and headlights and fog lights (the quote from the other place did not include the lights). Quote including full hood on the car is $1,000. Is the full hood worth $300 more?
      01-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

re:

Quote:
I found another an installer in Charleston, SC that was highly recommended by someone I know and trust. I called them and was impressed by their knowledge. They have a great website, great reviews, etc. They also give a discount for BMWCCA members. So I am going to go with them. They suggested doing the full hood vs. partial due to all the hood on the Z4 which can take a beating. This would also eliminate the line that comes with a partial hood. I'm interested if others would do the full hood? Their quote is $700 for partial hood, bumper, mirrors, fenders and headlights and fog lights (the quote from the other place did not include the lights). Quote including full hood on the car is $1,000. Is the full hood worth $300 more?
Don't forget the sills. Z4 gets beaten up around the sill before the rear wheel.

I'd go for full hood. Stones seem to skip over the front of the car then get forced down due to the aerodynamics of the car somewhere along the hood.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Make sure they can do full hood in one piece! I was promised full hood by two installers only to find out later they couldn't do it. The Venture shield only comes in rolls as large as 68 inches which is not enough for the very large hood on our cars. They offered to do the first 66 inches then add a second set right above. I looked at the results doing it this way on some other cars and you could always tell the line so I opted not to do full hood. I'm not sure if 3M makes film on larger rolls.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had my car done this weekend finally. It looks fantastic. They did a really good job. Unfortunately, as mentioned above the new Z4 is one of a handful of cars that it is not possible to do the full hood due to the size of the film. I got a partial hood (28 inches), the rocker panels (decide to add these at the last minute), headlights and front bumper done with venture sheild for 875.00. Yes, you can see the line on the hood ever so slightly from certain angels but just barely. For me, it's a good trade off for no rock chips. I live in Columbia, SC and took the to Mount Pleasant, SC (near Charleston) to a place called Pleasant Details. I recommend them highly if you are in my area, they are experienced with film installation and seem to be customer friendly. They also have good reviews and a nice website! Funny thing is right after I dropped my car off, I went to breakfast with my husband and we see this BMW 650 with the worst install job ever on the paint protection film. It looked horrible. The bumper piece was split in to pieces down the middle. Needless to say I temporarily got very nervous but it turned out ok in the end!