New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i

Clearbra installed

So I decided to install a clearbra on my 35i.
1st pic, you'll be able to make out the line.
2nd pic, the whole quarter is clearbra'd (the whole thing).
3rd pic, the whole rear quarter is clearbra'd
4th pic, you'll notice that that on white cars, that dirt will show up more visibly, this is the back bumper, on the clearbra edge than on other colors.
5th pic, another hood pic. You can see the slight line.

I have for sale also the hood clear bra along with rear view mirrors. $80 brand new in box from invisibleshield. I went ahead and installed venture shield instead. PM if you want it.

The car sills have clearbra, door wells, wheel wells, door handles, the black A pillar, and headlights. Yes I went crazy.

--Chuck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I am on the fence as far as having the clearbra installed. I had it on my '06 Monaco Blue and they did an excellent job. There weren't any bubbles and the dirt didn't show where the 3m film ended on the paint because the car was so dark.

My new Z4 is Orion silver. I haven't picked it up yet and I can't decide if I should go with it. I don't want stone chips and after 40 months of driving my Monaco, I don't have any white specks from stone chips.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

i have it on a pearl white car and as you said, you can really see the dirt on the edges.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
I want to get it for mine but hesitant to get it on White as you can see dirt on edges. I don't want a line on the hood. I went 2 different ones and they still do not have a custom full hood because it is so long and wide. I am waiting until they come out with one. I do have 2 minor nicks already from rocks. Dent Pro said they can fix it before putting on a clear bra if I decide.
      11-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpnout View Post
I want to get it for mine but hesitant to get it on White as you can see dirt on edges. I don't want a line on the hood. I went 2 different ones and they still do not have a custom full hood because it is so long and wide. I am waiting until they come out with one. I do have 2 minor nicks already from rocks. Dent Pro said they can fix it before putting on a clear bra if I decide.
You're right. I attempted to get a full hood clearbra, but it would leave a 4 inch line near the very top of the hood. Didn't realize the Z4 hood was so large compared to the other BMW i.e. M3.

I had several people look and though the line exists, its better to have the protection than not. Of course re-painting the front bumper, hood, etc is always an option after several years. I don't know, white is a throw off between clearbra or not. Other colors i.e. red, black, I think its a no brainer to attempt on getting a clearbra as rock chips will show as white specs.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck76 View Post
You're right. I attempted to get a full hood clearbra, but it would leave a 4 inch line near the very top of the hood. Didn't realize the Z4 hood was so large compared to the other BMW i.e. M3.

I had several people look and though the line exists, its better to have the protection than not. Of course re-painting the front bumper, hood, etc is always an option after several years. I don't know, white is a throw off between clearbra or not. Other colors i.e. red, black, I think its a no brainer to attempt on getting a clearbra as rock chips will show as white specs.
Where did you get yours done? I checked with Premier Mobile Group in Fremont and I actually have an appointment next Saturday. they want to take measurements just incase they can make it work for a full hood.

I've always had a clear bra on my previous BMWs, but always had a full hood and fenders and bumper. I like it without lines. I am quite picky, but then again I ended up with 2 minor nics already.
      11-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Where did you get yours done? I checked with Premier Mobile Group in Fremont and I actually have an appointment next Saturday. they want to take measurements just incase they can make it work for a full hood.

I've always had a clear bra on my previous BMWs, but always had a full hood and fenders and bumper. I like it without lines. I am quite picky, but then again I ended up with 2 minor nics already.
Yes Premier Mobile in Fremont is where I took mine. Greg installed mine as well with my Viper and was an excellent job. They don't have the full hood yet, but they said they may in the future. I just got the car back this Wednesday. Took them a full day.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Cool! I have used them on my 650 and they did an awesome job. They wanted me to bring the car in today to measure the hood, wonder why they didn't remember from yours since it was recent. Oh well. Thanks! now I may cancel next weekend then if what you tell me they don't have it yet. Plus I should have dent pro fix the two minor nicks before installing a clear bra. I am part of the BMW car club and tend to participate on their backroad twisty road drives and when you follow each other, it is easy to get rock chips. my Bra on my 650 really protected my car from chips. although it was white, if you don't clean certain yellowish bug guts, they tend to stain. I hated that part.
      11-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
I had mine custom fitted to make it seamless as possible (of course more $$$) by wrapping the film around the very edges through out the bumper and full hood. They even removed the 2 grills to wrap the film under it. It makes it easier for cleaning, especial on white cars. The hood unfortunately went all the way to the top except for the ends of each side of the hood towards the windshield (as shown in my pics below) they had to put a seam on each side then recovered the exposed 5 inch area. So technically the whole hood is covered. I am content on the outcome, pretty much a job well done! They also covered the headlights and 2 side mirrors. I will come back in 30 days for a check up on the film since they have to reapply some sort of cleaner/wax substance again to help prevent from some of those malicious bug guts stain that surface on white cars especially the yellowish and brown ones that I gotten on my previous white 6 Series cabrio. I also plan on doing the front and rear quarter panels. They suggested I might as well wrap the whole car! lol

Here are some pics, but I doubt you will see the seams I am talking about on the hood. It is hard to capture.
Attached Images

Last edited by flpnout; 11-30-2009 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome. From the pics I can't even see the lines.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck76 View Post
Awesome. From the pics I can't even see the lines.
I'll just have to show you in person sometime. Well, time for dinner, I'll catch you next time.
      11-30-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Chuck76, did you have the side exterior mirrors covered? I have to take mine back probably next Saturday as my 2 exterior side mirrors are pealing of on probably due to the contours of it's shape making the film difficult to stick? They will probably need to rip them off and redo both mirrors.

Other than that, the hood and the bumper have not pealing issues.
      11-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
Chuck76
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Chuck76, did you have the side exterior mirrors covered? I have to take mine back probably next Saturday as my 2 exterior side mirrors are pealing of on probably due to the contours of it's shape making the film difficult to stick? They will probably need to rip them off and redo both mirrors.

Other than that, the hood and the bumper have not pealing issues.
Sure did. There was a slight (tiny) edge peel coming from the passenger mirror (inside towards the A-pillar), but I fixed it with an alcohol solution before any dirt got inside. That was early on, but no peeling since. I'm not surprised hearing them peel, as there is some major contours on the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

is it good on black? I really dont want stone chips on the front. Im not sure where to install it to be most effective? Does having it at the rear wheels help also?
Appreciate 0