New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Maverick78
Z4 Newbie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 2.3idrive

Sound fluctuations?

Hey guys. I've noticed since getting my Z that when I'm playing a CD or sing the AUX input
The sound fluctuates. A track will be coming to a loud bit or some bass and the track lowers! It's very annoying. I've tried various CDs and still the same.

I've set the S volume low too but no joy. Are my speakers damaged from previous owner playing music too loud and it can't cope?

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I recommend you put all your music on an iPot it will be fine then. My daughter and I took a long road trip in 2010 in our then Z4 35i and never had any issues with her iPhone, mine or my iPod.

Good luck.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Sound quality, issues

You are see the same thing I have been seeing over two E 89 Z4's and many trips to the dealer. They have replaced amps and head units, and reprogrammed. Still have the same issues. Not sure what the solution is, but the ipod is not the fix. CD is your best input, least compressed.

Some background and things to try.

First I have the premium sound in both Z4 cars. *Also have had many new BMW's and this system has been the most frustrating.

Dolby II on and off, it seems the system is doing some "processing" and creating the sound variations when Dolby II is on. I don't think its the speed settings because I have had this weird sound level repeatedly while parked in my driveway.

Regardless, sound from the rear of the systems speakers is very limited.

Bass response is very poor in my opinion and when compared to my other BMW's

The base US spec E89 Z4 stereo has 11 speakers (BMW Business, head unit) and approx 200 watt amp

The premium system changes speakers and adds a few speakers to 14, same head unit, but different amp, and has 650 watts.

Try messing with the EQ settings if possible, The more I fade to the rear to try to balance the sound, from being front bias, the more the variation in volume. I think its treating the rear speakers as fill, as you get limited sound from them, and limit lead vocals, Background vocals do come from both front and rear.

Also note there rear has only 1 tweeter, in the center, the front has two in the A pillars and 1 in the center, on the premium system. The three mid range behind the driver are the same Part # and the two subs are behind each seat. Each lower foot well has a bass speaker and the doors have the mid range which are doing most the work. Add one mid range and one tweeter in the center of the dash and and you get the 14 speakers. (source of this data is RealOEM.com)

Good luck and if you ever get it sorted post what was done to fix it please. Still searching for a good solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

I had this problem on my boggo standard radio on my 23i.

Any input was affected. Play a track and it's fairly loud until the bass heavy part kicks in (sapping up amp power) and the volume drops.

I thought it was a fault with the auto volume but could never get it to work right.

As I am a sound engineer I found this very frustrating.

I believe this is actually due to the output of basic audio, the amp "clipping". Clipping is a problem when an amp is driven outside its working parameter and sends a Square sinewave to the speakers which can blow them. So I think a circuit has been installed in there (digital) to stop this on the early radios as the amp is so weedy.

Shame as the speakers and sound stage are not that bad even without the tweeters in the door pillars.

My 2011 35iS with standard audio does not have this problem.

So they have fixed the issue. Standard audio is still exceptionally poor though.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
I recommend you put all your music on an iPot it will be fine then. My daughter and I took a long road trip in 2010 in our then Z4 35i and never had any issues with her iPhone, mine or my iPod.

Good luck.
good one....not sure why you'd think that Rolf!.....
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
good one....not sure why you'd think that Rolf!.....
Well I think that since we had no issues whatsoever and it was a long ... long trip and we enjoyed all of our music just fine.

You have a good one now.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick78
Hey guys. I've noticed since getting my Z that when I'm playing a CD or sing the AUX input
The sound fluctuates. A track will be coming to a loud bit or some bass and the track lowers! It's very annoying. I've tried various CDs and still the same.

I've set the S volume low too but no joy. Are my speakers damaged from previous owner playing music too loud and it can't cope?

Any help is appreciated.
Any luck with finding a solution?
Appreciate 0