New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
crystalbluedive
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 23i

water dripping along my window seal

Hi dear all,

I bought an e89 Z4 23i last October.
I've noticed that sometimes during heavy rain, water will drip along my window seal.
The leak point is near the upper corner of the speaker.
If I open and close the door again, sometimes the leak will stop. (but most of the time it did not stop)
I've read few posts about this problem in many hardtop vehicles including E85 and E89 but I haven't read about any solutions yet.
May anyone give me some advices and suggestions?
Should I go back to the dealer?
Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
silverstone_ttlz4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 35i

My car does the same thing. I've never had a car which lets so much water in when you open the window. It's really annoying as I like driving with my windows down most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
crystalbluedive
Rep

The rain will drip along the window seal into my car even when my window is closed. I don't know how to stop it.
Someone suggest me to adjust the "angle" of the glass?? Will it work??
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbluedive View Post
Hi dear all,

I bought an e89 Z4 23i last October.
I've noticed that sometimes during heavy rain, water will drip along my window seal.
The leak point is near the upper corner of the speaker.
If I open and close the door again, sometimes the leak will stop. (but most of the time it did not stop)
I've read few posts about this problem in many hardtop vehicles including E85 and E89 but I haven't read about any solutions yet.
May anyone give me some advices and suggestions?
Should I go back to the dealer?
Thank you so much!
Some are talking about the leaks when you lower the window, i think you are talking about a leak with all windows are closed, if you are i have the same problem, mine is E89 2011, took it back once, they said they installed a thicker seal, it seemed ok at 1st, even went through car wash was, no problem.

one night the heavens opned, and the leak started, as you say above the speaker on the corner of the window, i have examined the seal where the water is, have determined the water builds up so much, that is actually over flows into the center of the roof seal as its hollow, then drips into the car, if you open the roof you can see the seal has a hole all the way through it.

My thought was to fill the top of the seal with RTV, so the water cannot drip in, have not tried, i may take it back since its under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
crystalbluedive
Rep

Today I just heard about another Z4 35i who have the same problem as I did. He went back to the dealer and they only do some "modifications" to the door rubber seal. However, the leak still persisted during heavy rain. *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Had the same issue, a damaged sealing and mis-a djustion of the window were the root cause they said:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg252...pg&res=landing

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...1052012196.jpg
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
TitanTim
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Its worth checking the roof seal is level with windscreen seal as the roof seal tends to be misalighned i,e. pushed in too far. You can adjust the roof seal by opening the door and with your finger feel for a gap behind the seal and pull the seal gently outwards until level with the screen seal.

Mine was leaking slightly on the passenger side and once I adjusted the seal the leaking stopped. I also use Duponts Krytox on the seal between the roof and screen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Krytox-Oxy...item2ebc9aa6af

Tim.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
crystalbluedive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRR1000S View Post
Had the same issue, a damaged sealing and mis-a djustion of the window were the root cause they said:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg252...pg&res=landing

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...1052012196.jpg
Hi thank you so much for your reply.
I did have the same broken seal at the same place now. However, the drip already took place long before the roof seal is broken. I thought the roof seal is not so durable after almost one year of open-and-close door action.
Now the broken roof seal is making noises like "squeak" sound when I close the door. Quite annoying and don't know how to do.
I didn't see any water dripping from the broken roof seal. The water comes from the top corner of the speaker, dripping about one droplet per second.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
crystalbluedive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTim View Post
Its worth checking the roof seal is level with windscreen seal as the roof seal tends to be misalighned i,e. pushed in too far. You can adjust the roof seal by opening the door and with your finger feel for a gap behind the seal and pull the seal gently outwards until level with the screen seal.

Mine was leaking slightly on the passenger side and once I adjusted the seal the leaking stopped. I also use Duponts Krytox on the seal between the roof and screen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Krytox-Oxy...item2ebc9aa6af

Tim.

Thank you so much for your reply, Tim!
I also find out that possible cause yesterday and try to "dilate" the space with my fingers!! I'll watch out if it rains again and see if it will works!!
Thank you so much for your answers!
As for the Krytox, is it a kind of protective agent for the rubber seal?
Can I use it to prevent any "squeak" nosie from the broken roof seal when I close my door?
Appreciate 0