New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #67
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I would avoid them because I'm paying attention. I'm former motorcycle rider for years and now a track junkie and take it as my responsibility to prevent accidents. Accidents take 2 people screwing up.
we got a badass over here
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05521.00
      09-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #68
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Nah just try to take responsibility for myself rather that hope someone else will do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #69
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Nah just try to take responsibility for myself rather that hope someone else will do it for me.
Derp...

My wife got rear ended two weeks ago, she didn't screw up. Friend of mine got T boned when a guy went through a light that had been red for 5 seconds...he didn't screw up.

Also BMW fixed this with the 2016 refresh.
      09-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #70
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Assume everyone is trying to kill you. Makes driving exciting and walking around at night too.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #71
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
I would avoid them because I'm paying attention. I'm former motorcycle rider for years and now a track junkie and take it as my responsibility to prevent accidents. Accidents take 2 people screwing up.
As a paramedic who has seen a myriad of accidents, this statement is unequivocally not factual. I've seen first hand results of people pulling out and getting t-boned, the oncoming driver could not react in time.
When you have the right away on a two lane county road that has a 60mph limit, and a driver pulls out from an obstructed view side street, the result is spectacular.
Same goes for texters steering into and around and toward unsuspecting drivers at the last minute. When you are going 50+ mph and a vehicle veers into your direction, assuming you were the badass situationally aware person you are but hit the shoulder and its wet grass causing a slide into a tree/light pole that is 20 yards away....that is unavoidable.
Another accident I've seen. Family at a stop light waiting for the green light, gets hit directly from the 11 o'clock by an F-150 truck that was trying to beat his yellow light and lost control in the intersection. The couple was DOA.

These are unfortunate events accidents that don't require two people per se. There are plenty of examples I can keep reciting. Most of my recent calls have been of the texter and elderly who make irreversible mistakes upon unsuspecting drivers.

You have an invulnerable attitude because you seem to fancy yourself a hyper vigilant professional. I beg to guesstimate not knowing you or who you are that any Formula 1 driver is leagues ahead in terms of reaction time and reflexes, yet they make an F1 racers cockpit to offer the most incredible protection scientifically available....why, because Hamilton and Vettel are idiots who look forward to crashing? Oh Really.

Quote:
Assume everyone is trying to kill you. Makes driving exciting and walking around at night too.
I have also been a motorcycle rider and even though my car has all the driving gizmos I still look over my left shoulder before I merge. I understand your point. I now work in an environment that requires extreme situational awareness and hyper vigilance and we understand that this state can only be sustained but for so long. 24 hrs of N'ring uses multiple drivers, why, fatigue, mentally more than physically.
So this brings up the issue, not everybody is as cool and hi-speed as you. So these protective measures are in place for the masses, general population, and for those unforeseen events.

As a motorcycle rider you at least should be aware of the overwhelming number of accidents that skilled and responsible motorcyclists are victim to, why, because of some"one" else.

It's disturbing that so many in this thread take the approach that why would this be necessary, why would you crash in to a wall...silly...obviously, obviously, this is to protect from "accidents".
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #72
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

My post is not a personal attack by the way. I'll take your word that you can avoid and will be able to prevent any accidental situation you find yourself in.

So my post is to highlight the fact that the rest of the general public does not have you r reflexes, skills and vigilance.
There are mothers on the roads with little ones in the back, dogs that do shit while driving, people lighting cigarettes, playing with the radio, etc etc. It only takes one a tenth of a second for your eyes, hands and feet to not be on the same sheet of music.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #73
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

This was my Evo X. Without going into details, I can assure you I didn't "crash on purpose". There was zero compartment intrusion.
I walked out of that without a scratch. In fact, the only complaint I had was a swollen lip from the airbag.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #74
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Your points are well taken. My intention was more to point out that most accidents happen due to negligence on both parts. If you aren't vigilant enough and take it serious enough you are allowing an accident partially to happen before you even turn the key. Calling it an accident allows both parties to absolve themselves from responsibility but something on both sides could have been done. Like getting rear ended. I don't watch the car in front at all.almost the guy I'm worrying about is behind and look for an out and so on. It's like a accidental discharge of a weapon they almost don't exist it's actually a negligent discharge thru some fault of the operator. It gets blamed on the gun to absolve the person.
Appreciate 0