New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Z4 failed programming....

I had my Z4 in for warranty and had the EPS replaced per the recent recall notice. The service rep called me and told me that the part went in fine, but then failed programming. She told me it was a six hour or so process so they would need to keep the Z4 another day. Deja Vu. Same thing happened with my 335i. Earlier this year, I had a part replaced, and it too failed programming-- twice. They had to keep my car two extra days.

So what's the deal with BMWs failing programming and why does it take so long to program in the first place? Is this common?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Had the same happen to me when they said that I had a failed junction box... God knows why our car has a junction box and what it does but had to leave the car for 2days so that it could be programmed.
      08-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
Had the same happen to me when they said that I had a failed junction box... God knows why our car has a junction box and what it does but had to leave the car for 2days so that it could be programmed.
Just to be clear, in both of my cars, it wasn't the part itself that had to be programmed, but the car's internal CPU to recognize the "new part." I guess they have to reprogram the cars just about anytime they install a new part.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

BMW has fully adapted to the "Cloud" in their fleet management. Can't speak to the US architecture, but here in Germany, all BMW configurations are maintained by BMW (rumor has it the servers sit in Regensburg), so every time your car needs new software (upgrades, repair, warranty work, services), it gets posted to the main database. In the case of a software reload, the entire package with your current "approved" configuration is pulled from BMW and streamed into your car. It took 4 hours to get my BMW added alarm system programmed into the car and another 5 hours for the upgraded brakes to be coded. After the entire process is completed there is a checksum comparison run and this is where it passes or fails (and they start over from scratch). Designed to prevent unauthorized accessory activation (I suspect).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: Yes. :D

When I had issues with the locking system, they put in a new module, took them 3 days to program it.
Appreciate 0