New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

View Poll Results: What prb(s) have you experienced?
HPFP 16 19.28%
LPFP 9 10.84%
faulty airbag sensor (found in seat) 3 3.61%
dealer forgot to give you a software update 4 4.82%
noisy fan flap 4 4.82%
noisy side mirror(s) when opening/closing 5 6.02%
non-functioning HVAC controls 1 1.20%
bluetooth not working 5 6.02%
BMW Assist not working 1 1.20%
rim crack(s) 17 20.48%
iDrive-related 2 2.41%
dancing windows 37 44.58%
other 17 20.48%
none 22 26.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

06-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #23
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

Well I've owned this car about 2 years and a month now. I have 40k miles. I bought it new. Following problems were addressed and corrected.

Ok so first problem that was addressed was my 3.0 would stall. RPMS would drop to zero while i was slowing down in sport mode or at a red light. They found it to be a DME software error. As per bulletin 12 12 10, program vehicle with CAS.

Side mirrors squeeling was addressed with lubed mirrors at swivel point

Rattle above rear glass on bumpy roads. "RHT Linkage causing rattle. R+R rear section of headliner and roadtest to locate noise. Lube RHT linkage at clamping points, Work time used to R&I rear section of headliner, lube linkage, and road test."

As for the whirling sound with my air conditioner. "Perform Vehicle test and install vibration dampener as per 64 10 10"

They also replaced my intake silencer aka "air filter element"

and replaced rear brake pads and sensor pads since systems indicated while they were road testing it for the rattles.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #24
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

I've only had one problem so far. For the life of me I cannot judge the distance of curb markers to the front end. The parking control doesn't work on low raised curbs. Despite being careful, oh so careful, I have managed to rash the bottom of my front bumper. UGH....
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #25
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
It probably would've helped if you removed that darn helmet of yours lol.
Nope. Not gunna happen...
Attached Images

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #26
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Despite being careful, oh so careful, I have managed to rash the bottom of my front bumper. UGH....
Rest assured you are not Robinson Crusoe on that front.

These days I prefer to reverse into all spots that have a stop log.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #27
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Hi this is an excellent monitoring thread! It would be good if we could add a few other sections instead of just other, such as lights front -rear etc, roof into rattles or components, trim, I am not trying to make it exhaustive but would like to see a few more sections! What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
bill123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Never had a single problem with my 35iS in 15 months of ownership
      06-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill123
Never had a single problem with my 35iS in 15 months of ownership
Which means you're not picky or you're super lucky as generally these cars are not built to their high cost!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
E36ic4Me
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 & M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Which means you're not picky or you're super lucky as generally these cars are not built to their high cost!
No issues here either. It had an update preformed and that was the only time its ever been in the service bay!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #31
laz4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Titanium Silver Z4 35i

LOVE my two month old 35i! But I do wish I didn't hear so many creaks compared to every other less-expensive BMW I have owned. Otherwise no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #32
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Bought mine brand spanking new in June 2010. Not a single problem to date. (touch wood). Nothing but pure driving pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #33
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Very happy with the car; I did manage to scrape the front bumper (bottom) like others mentioned.

Brake pad had to be replaced -- noticed a thumping noise on the drive home from taking delivery when braking moderatly -- material "infant death" issue. That got me a bit worried (at less than 20 miles) but now have almost 2000 wonderful miles.

Thought I had the "headlights auto-alignment (up/down) not working correctly"-issue and the lights iluminating only a couple of feet in front of the car; but that turned out to be because of the hilly terrain I was in and the adrenalin in my blood ... Haven't had the issue on flat roads. Believe it or not, it took about 600 miles before I actually drove the car in the dark.

Oh, and I am now obsessive compulsive about washing the car like every day. I am actually trying to restrain myself ("yeah, it's a layer of dust, but no, it's okay, it won't hurt it ... ").
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #34
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I've been a z owner since 9/2011 and so far;

-windows keep needing to be re-initialized.
-needed top off coolant and oil

So far that's it.
      07-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #35
Cap'nCrunch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive30i

Just bought a 2009 sDrive30i in May with about 6200 miles. I've since had the stalling out at intersections problem this weekend (over 100 degrees across Texas). I contacted service this morning, and it turns out the previous owners never had a software upgrade done. Other than that, I've put about 3,000 miles on the car and it's been awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #36
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
I've had my 35i for 3 years and 29k miles and I've never had a car that even came close to feeling, looking or driving like new after 3 years, like my Z4 does. ...and I am the most picky person about my car that you will ever want to meet.

Your comment that the cars are not built to their high cost is extremely inaccurate or just plain BS.

You get what you paid for and I paid for a car that should look and feel new after 3 years, and it does.

Next time pay less and get yourself a Miata or some other sub luxury roadster and then come on back and tell us what is falling apart on it after 3 years.

Last edited by 35iDriver; 07-31-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #37
USE Z4S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
I've had my 35i for 3 years and 29k miles and I've never had a car that even came close to feeling, looking or driving like new after 3 years, like my Z4 does. ...and I am the most picky person about my car that you will ever want to meet.

Your comment that the cars are not built to their high cost is extremely inaccurate or just plain BS.

You get what you paid for and I paid for a car that should look and feel new after 3 years, and it does.

Next time pay less and get yourself a Miata or some other sub luxury roadster and then come on back and tell us what is falling apart on it after 3 years.
I'm happy for you and your experience with the Z4!

I will say that I have to echo the sentiment that it may not be the "best value" going--the cars really do have a substantial number of annoying little things going wrong with relatively low miles. For the price, I do think it's reasonable to expect less issues with the vehicle.

But, hey--you don't buy this car because you're shopping for value! You buy this car for a lot of other reasons--and it delivers! It's sexy, fast, fun as hell to drive, and well, it's a BMW.

I wouldn't be so quick to bash less expensive cars like the Miata or assume less expensive cars "fall apart", however. I have a $35,000 FJ Cruiser that I've absolutely abused off road for 15,000 miles and it has NEVER had an issue. Not a rattle, shake, warning light, nothing. And that's in the most grueling conditions imaginable.

People who have said the amount of tech on the vehicle is an excuse for all the problems are giving the Z4 an unnecessary free pass. I've got a 2012 Odyssey Touring Elite with an insane amount of tech on it, and predictably, I've not had a single issue in over 11,000 miles.

I've owned many Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus over the years--and in fact, they are my company fleet of vehicles now. They are tough as nails with bullet-proof reliability (IMHO, based on my experience). They are cheaper than BMW's, and after driving a few 3 series bimmers as loaners, I can honestly say "I don't get it". I really think people buy the 3 series so they can say "I drive a bimmer"...

The Z4 is different, of course. It's a remarkable machine that puts a smile on your face every time you get in. It begs you (dares you?) to put it in sport mode and stomp on the gas every time you get in.

I love my Z4 and have no buyers remorse. It's a different machine, engineered a different way. It's ok if I'm going to have my 5th loaner on Friday because it's my 5th time to have to leave it at BMW service (in 6 weeks of owning it, and with just barely 18,000 miles on it....) It's worth it to me.
      08-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #38
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

I agree on the Toyotas. I bought both my daughters Toyotas (Land Cruiser, 4runner) with well over 100K miles with no concerns. Keep up on the normal maintenance and these well last easily to 300K miles. My 2004, I bought with 120K miles and it has had zero issues. My previous Land Cruiser was a 97 that I bought with 99K miles and drove to 200K miles with no major issues over 7 years.

Like you, I wheel the snot out of my Toyotas, along with my daughters. There was even an article in the Toyota magazine (Toyota Trails) about the "daughters of Romer" and how we spend a lot of time together enjoying our vehicles. Been to the Rubicon, Texas, out east, up to south Dakota, all over Utah and all over Colorado. I wonder if we know each other?

I have been fortunate though and been problem free with both my 2003 Z4 and the 6 weeks I have owned my current one. The PO on my 2003 did replace the engine because of an engine slap problem in 2006 right before I bought it. The Z4 is a lot of fun and having both the built 4 wheel drive and the fun roadster bring a smile to my face. Both are awesome vehicles and a lot of fun to drive.

The 2009 Z4 is far superior in comfort, features and handling to the 2003.

Here is hoping (knocking on wood) that my Z4 continues to be problem free
      08-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #39
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USE Z4S View Post
I'm happy for you and your experience with the Z4!

I will say that I have to echo the sentiment that it may not be the "best value" going--the cars really do have a substantial number of annoying little things going wrong with relatively low miles. For the price, I do think it's reasonable to expect less issues with the vehicle.

But, hey--you don't buy this car because you're shopping for value! You buy this car for a lot of other reasons--and it delivers! It's sexy, fast, fun as hell to drive, and well, it's a BMW.

I wouldn't be so quick to bash less expensive cars like the Miata or assume less expensive cars "fall apart", however. I have a $35,000 FJ Cruiser that I've absolutely abused off road for 15,000 miles and it has NEVER had an issue. Not a rattle, shake, warning light, nothing. And that's in the most grueling conditions imaginable.

People who have said the amount of tech on the vehicle is an excuse for all the problems are giving the Z4 an unnecessary free pass. I've got a 2012 Odyssey Touring Elite with an insane amount of tech on it, and predictably, I've not had a single issue in over 11,000 miles.

I've owned many Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus over the years--and in fact, they are my company fleet of vehicles now. They are tough as nails with bullet-proof reliability (IMHO, based on my experience). They are cheaper than BMW's, and after driving a few 3 series bimmers as loaners, I can honestly say "I don't get it". I really think people buy the 3 series so they can say "I drive a bimmer"...

The Z4 is different, of course. It's a remarkable machine that puts a smile on your face every time you get in. It begs you (dares you?) to put it in sport mode and stomp on the gas every time you get in.

I love my Z4 and have no buyers remorse. It's a different machine, engineered a different way. It's ok if I'm going to have my 5th loaner on Friday because it's my 5th time to have to leave it at BMW service (in 6 weeks of owning it, and with just barely 18,000 miles on it....) It's worth it to me.
Every vehicle model is going to have some of the cars that will have recurring problems, so the Z4 is no different.

For me the value is there, because for the money I expected to have a car that drives and feels new after 3 years and that is what I got.

There are several car brands out there that do not have the same quality build and workmanship as the Z4. I'll leave it to you to fill in all the blanks on which ones those are.

The last 5 cars I've owned have all had forums with people griping about recurring issues. Of every car I've ever owned, my Z4 is the only car I have a desire to keep after the 3 year point.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #40
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Every vehicle model is going to have some of the cars that will have recurring problems, so the Z4 is no different.

For me the value is there, because for the money I expected to have a car that drives and feels new after 3 years and that is what I got.

There are several car brands out there that do not have the same quality build and workmanship as the Z4. I'll leave it to you to fill in all the blanks on which ones those are.

The last 5 cars I've owned have all had forums with people griping about recurring issues. Of every car I've ever owned, my Z4 is the only car I have a desire to keep after the 3 year point.
I bought my Z hoping I will keep it for 8-10 yrs or more. Having owned mine for 9 month, I can say that it has been holding well - knock on wood . Yes, there are issues that I am hoping will be taken care of by the dealer - HVAC control panel quits working infrequently, accelerated battery discharge, creaks from the rear when going over rough roads etc. Having owned one of the first model year Infiniti's, I had been plagued with fit and finish issues since day 1! Compared to it, the Z seems to be build like a tank. Here's hoping that the car will hold in the brutal AZ weather and provide years of ultimate driving experience .
      08-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #41
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

Well I am taking mine in tomorrow. I am having a large array of problems again. Roof rattle once more, the car thinks its -40 degrees Fahrenheit... I cannot drop the top. It says "The Roof cannot be actuated." I checked the partition and made sure everything was as it normally is; I didnt notice anything different. Also the engine has a very weird odor to it compared to usual. Its being such a pain.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #42
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:

I could answer that all defensively but all I'll say is that you're wrong and leave it there.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #43
ymdd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not fast enough

I have two problems so far. I hear rattles in the upper left back of my ear, and rattles in the nav screen. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #44
GeneticX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I second that!!
Appreciate 0