New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #23
TitanTim
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
^It's not impaired at all unless your eyes are wracked...and as to the 'better' way, it's definitely not the clear/plastic thingy for effectiveness and safety issues, rather, it's still OEM, like it or not.
You don't like to be proved wrong do you lol
      03-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
No visibility issues for me as I use my rear view mirrors... I feel the only more integrated look would have been an electric retractable one...

There is a bit more air movement in the upper had region than my 1er cabrio... But below the shoulders it's very pleasant and the heater works great to keep the chill out...roll the windows up and it's even better at keep the heat in and wind noise down...

Mine came factory installed... So when you buy the OEM one does it also come with the mesh inserts between the 'roll' hoops as mine has these inserts as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #25
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Absolutely no visibility problem with the OEM version. I've never felt like I didn't have complete visual access to what's going on behind me. Mind you, Porsche and MB all provide mesh wind deflectors as OEM products. And maybe TitanTim doesn't want to admit it, but as I said before, the solid plastic type bounced wind back at the back of my head and neck, which was very uncomfortable on a chilly day.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #26
kguy33
Rep
Drives: Z4 2011 35i

I just bought one as well [roadster solutions]. The design is simple and very easy to install.
As for it working, I thought it works a lot better when you drive under 50mph... then when u get on the highway, it's a very minor difference. I got this for the lady so she wouldnt have her hair fly everywhere but on the highway, its all the same in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #27
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguy33 View Post
I just bought one as well [roadster solutions]. The design is simple and very easy to install.
As for it working, I thought it works a lot better when you drive under 50mph... then when u get on the highway, it's a very minor difference. I got this for the lady so she wouldnt have her hair fly everywhere but on the highway, its all the same in my opinion
do they have solution for E93 too?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTim View Post
You don't like to be proved wrong do you lol
Well, you haven't proven anything. It's quite obvious here that the OEM>your aftermkt product as indicated by several posters here including myself. Ironically, it is *you* that doesn't like to be proven wrong because you're still chiming in even though I've presented all the facts why OEM is better.

The only reason to get an aftermkt is if you wanna save a few bucks or for the better 'invisible look' (arguable), that's it. As for effectiveness and safety, it's gotta be OEM.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Well, you haven't proven anything. It's quite obvious here that the OEM>your aftermkt product as indicated by several posters here including myself. Ironically, it is *you* that doesn't like to be proven wrong because you're still chiming in even though I've presented all the facts why OEM is better.

The only reason to get an aftermkt is if you wanna save a few bucks or for the better 'invisible look' (arguable), that's it. As for effectiveness and safety, it's gotta be OEM.
It is amazing possibly two males accusing each other for not let being proven wrong attitude
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #30
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Tranquility , TitanTim
Thanks - Please Chill out - if I buy a wind deflector , It will be OEM. This is my policy - always OEM
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

random aside...

i'm able to drive relatively with roof and windows down on the freeway comfortably in 50F weather here in San Diego by wearing a zip up fleece, setting the climate control to 80F, manual, max fan and turn the dial below the vent all the way to red
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
Tranquility , TitanTim
Thanks - Please Chill out - if I buy a wind deflector , It will be OEM. This is my policy - always OEM
Hehe, I win, I WIN!!!!! LOL j/k
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #33
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Hi just to chip in here ! I removed my BMW wind deflector, and bought a clear glass deflector (not acrylic but toughened safety glass from a company in Germany, so a lot more expensive!!!).
I bought it not because the stock did not work because they do and very well indeed, but for the ability to see clearly both day and night.
There is no doubt that stock is reduced visibility, especially if you want to see if an unmarked police car following as you maybe moving a little bit quicker, safely of course!!!
The glass deflector is not as efficient as a wind deflector, as with the stock being mesh wind is allowed to pass through, were with glass you get some bounce back, but still very effective. But big win with clarity and to some extent security.
As for those with no deflectors that is there choice but there is a big big difference when you have one, and yes subject to speed also depends how effective they are!!!!!!
I have done threads on this subject before, perhaps on bimmerfest ???
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #34
laz4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Titanium Silver Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguy33
You must not have had your windows up. I have the roadster solutions deflector and while I wish I had gotten the OEM, this deflector cuts the wind by 70% compared to no deflector. Without a deflector, driving with the top down was ridiculous on the hair and very loud and cold.

The e85 was much more driveable without a deflector.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #35
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooVT90 View Post
No visibility issues for me as I use my rear view mirrors... I feel the only more integrated look would have been an electric retractable one...

There is a bit more air movement in the upper had region than my 1er cabrio... But below the shoulders it's very pleasant and the heater works great to keep the chill out...roll the windows up and it's even better at keep the heat in and wind noise down...

Mine came factory installed... So when you buy the OEM one does it also come with the mesh inserts between the 'roll' hoops as mine has these inserts as well.
I agree, I would have prefer to have an electric retractable one as they do it on new M6 Cabrio.
Link here: http://bmw-actu.com/2012/07/25/galer...m6-cabriolet/#

I have the OEM one and without it I have cold air coming from the back right to my neck.
I have it folded behind the back of my seat, and when I open the top, I just get it with my right hand and put it in place quickly.

I was very interested by glass deflector but it seems that it cannot be removed easily (maybe I am mistaken) and was a bit expensive just to replace the one I have now.

Does anyone has link on good glass deflector in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #36
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweiZ4 View Post
Does anyone has link on good glass deflector in Europe?
http://www.ur-windschott.de/index.html

Had the Frau pick me up one of these. I like it. Takes 2 set screws to remove. TUV approved with Cert.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #37
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post

Had the Frau pick me up one of these. I like it. Takes 2 set screws to remove. TUV approved with Cert.
I was wondering if 6 series retractable glass could e retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #38
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #39
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post

Thank you Herrk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibawal View Post
Actually it seems to be the rear window of the car; that goes up only (I think so) when the roof is closing and not a deflector.
The deflector on the F12 looks like the one on the Z4 made in fabric.

And the whole system is pretty big and complex:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...g=10&lang=enUS

But I am waiting for your pics when you would have done it!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #40
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I wish they have an OEM deflector that's made of some kind of transparent mesh The mesh does reduce visibility somewhat, which is fine when the top is down. But when the top is up and you have tint on your rear window, then it gets too dark in the day and nigh impossible to see at night. So I only use the deflector when the top is down and only during the day.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #41
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

I had this deflector fitted to my car, excellent quality and a bit expensive, but considering it is made of glass and the fittings are OEM quality, I would recommend this product.
Many of the cheaper ones have poor fittings and made of acrylic, which scratches in a heart beat!!!!
They are very good to deal with, as I live in the UK and imported it from Germany. I have done a couple of threads on this before.
There deflectors are also badged by some upmarket accessory suppliers Hartge etc
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #42
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
You can get a better price from one of the dealers that offer discounts, like www.bmwmercedesparts.com. Probably 25% less.
Thanks Jparnes1 - I purchased at the URL you mentioned and I just saved $100 vs my dealer
Appreciate 0