New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

Greek Holiday - a few snaps

Thought I should throw these at you guys, this is the only forum I know which actively asks for your holiday pictures!

As it goes, the poor old Z4 didn't get much of a look in on this trip, though it did do most of the work...

29 days touring the Greek mainland. Covered approx 5,500km or 3,500 miles.
Greek roads are 'variable' to say the least. Be warned if you are using a TomTom it is relatively clueless at to whether you are going on a main road or a dirt track. This leads to some wonders you would never see otherwise, and some terrible roads you would rather not see ever again.

If you like bends and mountains you are in for a treat. I do, and have to admit that after 4 weeks I was crying out for a straight bit of road somewhere, anywhere!!

Anyway, here are the few shots of the Z4. There are about 2,000 more of the actual holiday, name a place and we probably went there, but this is not the forum for that!

Mount Olympus - Home of the Gods, from base camp. (Which is a village with good coffee).

As far up Mt Olympus as a Z4 gets...

because the road turns to this around the bend...

For fans of the moving image, this is how I get mine done.

Some mad monks live in amazing scenery in Meteora on clifftops.

Great little road winds between the monasteries

The beginning of Dhafnon Gorge in the Peloponesse. Good road that rises a good 2,500m

Leads to Monemvassia, Medieval city on a rock with only a causeway to the mainland

The Mani peninsula. Wild west of Greece. Locals build tower houses to keep out invaders, when peace breaks out they feud with each other instead.

Kalamati - Sparti Gorge is another good run, and you get to note where Spartans left their deformed children on the rocks to die too, nice...

Typical TomTom route through Arcadia. Stunning scenery and a great road. Only 20km to our destination apparently. Easy with 80km fuel in the tank.

Then you turn the corner... This happened more than a few times.

That's about it for the car sorry guys. Happy to answer anything on getting around Greece though! Some stunning places to see, some driving to die for, and some road conditions and drivers that may just kill you if you get it wrong

Last edited by Tamman69; 10-13-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Just beautiful!

The landscape is nice, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Stunning! That part of the world is on our "to-do" list for sure. Not at all what I envisioned. Incredible.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

great stuff, thanks for sharing (The OCD guys are freaking out at those pics I bet )

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Fantastic pictures

Where did you get the camcorder holding device? Do you have a link for it? Thanks

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #6
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep

Many thanks for the kind comments gents.

The landscape is simply stunning, and don't even get me started on the archaeology. These photos represent a very small glimpse into the place.

teezee - would you be meaning our friends who love a shiny vehicle by any chance? I didn't give the car a single scrub for over 30 days and pushed the thing mercilessly up and down mountain goat tracks. I certainly had no Zaino 'quick detailer' in the boot. (luggage for 2 for this period in the back of an open Z4 is challenging enough!!!).

My poor car has to be one of the hardest working Z4s on the planet, most of the roads around my area look like the dirt-tracks, only with more holes.. It did get the full protective treatment prior to going though, here is a 'before' picture for the 'clean car clan'.

Rolf, take a look at this link. Gripper 116. They're based in the USA - handy for most.
Be aware that there is a huge choice of products as this is a pro filming company. Some can be found here.

Note where I put mine. The angle and space on our winscreen meant I never found a way to put it anywhere other than the side window.

An example of the results I got can be found here Corfu in May. Be warned, you can shoot hours of useless footage that most sane people find as boring as you can imagine!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Arizona Z4
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I have the same camera mount for my Z4. Be sure to get the long extension. The short one is almost too short. I put mine 2 inches up the side window (to allow it to drop when the door is opened), and pointed the camera thru the windshield. It would be in front of a passengers shoulder.

PS: To the OP, nice pictures and sounds like a great trip!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Richard,

Agreed about making sure you have the extending arm, though I didn't happen to use it on the last trip. Personally I mount it higher up with the roof down rather than point through the windshield. That's probably because I don't clean it enough and the refractions annoy me

I still find there are small vibration issues filming. I'm looking at a quick way of fixing it while resting on the top of the windshield to eliminate this. Though as you say, the drop when you open the door must always be remembered
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Great stills - fantastic settings and framing.

Not sure if I overlooked the link, but did you post video of your trip?

I'm curious about your setup as a well. Did you get much wind buffeting and noise. That's one common issue I've noticed with Youtube vids: 1) Wind, 2) Camera vibration, 3) camera noise.

No doubt your digital takes rather large pixel stills. I'm impressed with the color - did you have a filter or modify the images after you took them?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #11
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep

Hi TeagueAMX. No you didn't miss a link. I haven't done any video yet - 3 hours worth to get processed... and of course once you are back you are not 'on holiday' anymore and life gets in the way!

These are taken with a 'standard' decent stills camera. Followed up by a little framing and adjustment in photoshop. Nothing strong in the processing (filters etc.) at this moment, will play with that when I have more time.

Wind noise is a problem, and will be on this trip as I did not set up properly. However I used to be a composer/audio engineer for video games and when in the mood to get the sound really correct I use these Soundman Classic Binaural Microphones

Binaural recording is a recording method where you stick a microphone in each of your ears (or on a dummy head!). This gives a true stereo representation of any given environment, especially when played back over headphones.

Record using these stuck in your ears and you will get back exactly what you hear in the car, engine and all. Great with the top up. If you find the wind is in the way with the top down, or you don't like the binaural effect, you can mount them as a crossed stereo pair on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Thanks for the info

Really look forward to seeing some of your video once you get caught up.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Tamman69

Thanks so much for the information

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep

My pleasure, I know bugger all useful about cars so it's good to give something back
Appreciate 0