New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Rjscharer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 z435is

Buying car at end of lease

Does anyone know if you can negotiate with BMW on the listed buyout figure
at the end of your lease if you elect to keep your car? Do they take note of the advertised sale prices that may exist in the marketplace for an identical used car
that may equate with yours listed at a lower price?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I tried negotiating with BMW FS 2 leases ago on a 328 and it was a non starter

If I were to try again I would talk to the used car sales manager at the dealer where I was turning the car in, to immediately buy it back at market value plus a small margin (that is still below the residual amount) after the lease turn in paperwork has been finalized
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

At the end of my last lease, we were going to purchase the vehicle. It would have been the residual value (as noted on the lease agreement) + the cost of CPO. Was told it was non-negotiable. It ended up being much cheaper to lease a new car (with more equipment), than take a 60 month finance on our lease end.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

I think it tends to depend on your relationship with the dealership, as I had the exact opposite experience. I purchased my 2nd E85 at the end of it's 2-year lease, which was an Owner's Choice (expectation that I would purchase it EOL). However, my dealer gave me a terrific price, lower than the pre-declared RV at lease inception.

I've purchased 4 cars from the same dealer (same Sales rep), who I now consider a close acquaintance vs. just a Sales-rep-who's-a-stranger, so YMMV. Our relationship also proved a great help when I decided to order my 2014 E89 earlier this year. I also plan to keep the E89 when the 3 year lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
At the end of my last lease, we were going to purchase the vehicle. It would have been the residual value (as noted on the lease agreement) + the cost of CPO. Was told it was non-negotiable. It ended up being much cheaper to lease a new car (with more equipment), than take a 60 month finance on our lease end.
Also, not sure why you'd CPO a vehicle you owned from new if you wanted to purchase it. Assuming you took care of it like most here do their cars, a CPO seems unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Also, not sure why you'd CPO a vehicle you owned from new if you wanted to purchase it. Assuming you took care of it like most here do their cars, a CPO seems unnecessary.
That's how its done, they said. I wouldn't mind the extra warranty, but the price was ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
That's how its done, they said. I wouldn't mind the extra warranty, but the price was ridiculous.
I'd argue that's how they want you to do it, not how it's "done" per se. As one who has purchased a car after lease with no CPO (my choice), in my experience it's optional, not a necessity.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Thanks for the mbetoni. Good to know that going through the dealer is the way to do it, as opposed to through BMW FS, which is what I tried in the past.
Appreciate 0