New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Cb4h
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328 Coupe

new member questions

Hey guys!!!

Just wanted to pop in and say hello, and introduce myself

I just got my 2011 Z4 sdrive 3.0i on monday, and im in love She is black on black and basically the most fun car/bmw i have ever owned. I did swap my 2012 SRX performance for this little baby since my partner recently got an x5 and two suvs with no kids was ridiculous. So now he can pull the boat, so i figured it was time for me to get a new "toy" haha

Anyway, couple intro questions.
A) the top is pretty quick imo but my aunt who has a 2008 corvette vert hers seems to be a bit fast, just wanting to make sure that i dont need to have the dealer look at the top...im averaging about 30 secs from start to finish when it goes up/down.

B) I have the standard grille, but really want the 35i chrome looking grille. Does anyone have part #s for those by chance? I know i could go with the all black theme and do the Performance grilles but never really liked the batman theme too much....

C) are there any standard like must have mods that all Zs do

Thanks guys will throw some pics up after she gets a bath today!! Thanks again and I look forward to being on this forum

Zach
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Congratulations! Hope you'll post pics soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb4h View Post

C) are there any standard like must have mods that all Zs do

Zach
Stubby antenna... Do a quick search on the forum ... You can also get it from BMW (expensive).

Last edited by CeEl; 10-20-2013 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Forgot to congratulate
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
A) the top is pretty quick imo but my aunt who has a 2008 corvette vert hers seems to be a bit fast, just wanting to make sure that i dont need to have the dealer look at the top...im averaging about 30 secs from start to finish when it goes up/down.
A) The Corvette is a soft-top so you can't really compare that speed to that of a folding metal top... with that said, it should take about 20 seconds and while I've never actually timed mine, if you time yours and it is 30 seconds, might be worth a visit to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

Quote:
are there any standard like must have mods that all Zs do
Stubby antenna, as already mentioned
LED swap for front turn signals, reverse lights, and all interior bulbs
And I personally think a mod that all Z's need to have is to debadge the "Z4" on the trunk
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89 View Post
Stubby antenna, as already mentioned
LED swap for front turn signals, reverse lights, and all interior bulbs
And I personally think a mod that all Z's need to have is to debadge the "Z4" on the trunk
I respectfully disagree that any of these mods are mandatory . I do not like the look of the stubby antenna and I actually love how the Z4 logo looks (and prefer it over any of the X-logos for instance). I would even go as far as saying that the car looks wrong without the even more "german" sDriveXXi badges on the sides, so they shouldn't be removed either.

I tried LED reversing lights, but they caused warnings because the current consumption is very low and similar to a broken pulp. Did you solve this issue?

I would say it is mandatory to glue the cover behind / between the seats as it might come loose and fly off while driving with the roof down at very high speeds. That is, if a car doesn't come with the hifi system which has a loudspeaker sitting there.

On 18/19inch wheels switching to the latest gen RFTs, or non-RFTs is also absolutely mandatory. If not to improve grip and comfort, then at least to reduce tire noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I respectfully disagree that any of these mods are mandatory . I do not like the look of the stubby antenna and I actually love how the Z4 logo looks (and prefer it over any of the X-logos for instance). I would even go as far as saying that the car looks wrong without the even more "german" sDriveXXi badges on the sides, so they shouldn't be removed either.

I tried LED reversing lights, but they caused warnings because the current consumption is very low and similar to a broken pulp. Did you solve this issue?

I would say it is mandatory to glue the cover behind / between the seats as it might come loose and fly off while driving with the roof down at very high speeds. That is, if a car doesn't come with the hifi system which has a loudspeaker sitting there.

On 18/19inch wheels switching to the latest gen RFTs, or non-RFTs is also absolutely mandatory. If not to improve grip and comfort, then at least to reduce tire noise.
Stubby antenna is a must haha. Really, on any car. The Z4 looks retarded with an 18" pole sticking out it's rear fender.

I will agree with you about keeping the "sdriveXXi" badges; but I do think the rear looks much more clean without the massive, kind-of-randomly-placed, Z4 badge.

And yes, I've swapped every bulb possible for LEDs on the Z4 except for the four brake lights. Reason being because two of the four brake light bulbs come in a bulb where there literally is not one red "error-free" LED for sale on the entire internet. So instead of having two LED and two incandescent, I'm just leaving all four of them incandescent

But for all the other bulbs, just make sure they're "error-free" or "CANbus" or whatever. That does the trick.

Lastly, I agree with getting the tires. I already have the set I want picked out. Just waiting for March to roll around as winter is fast approaching / already here.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

A concur on the stubby antenna, the biggest eye sore on the Z4 is that 1 mile long antenna.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Stubby antenna is a must haha. Really, on any car. The Z4 looks retarded with an 18" pole sticking out it's rear fender.

I will agree with you about keeping the "sdriveXXi" badges; but I do think the rear looks much more clean without the massive, kind-of-randomly-placed, Z4 badge.

And yes, I've swapped every bulb possible for LEDs on the Z4 except for the four brake lights. Reason being because two of the four brake light bulbs come in a bulb where there literally is not one red "error-free" LED for sale on the entire internet. So instead of having two LED and two incandescent, I'm just leaving all four of them incandescent

But for all the other bulbs, just make sure they're "error-free" or "CANbus" or whatever. That does the trick.

Lastly, I agree with getting the tires. I already have the set I want picked out. Just waiting for March to roll around as winter is fast approaching / already here.
How did you remove the interior dome lamp. I have the bulbs but I cant seem to figure out how to remove this without breaking/scratching it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
How did you remove the interior dome lamp. I have the bulbs but I cant seem to figure out how to remove this without breaking/scratching it.
See post #18! This thread was helpful!

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665435

I pulled down the unit, but couldn't figure it out past that point...thank God someone else had already figured it out!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post

Have you noticed any flickering in your indicators due to the current check as noted in the following thread?

How to remove front indicators? http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881049
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I agree with the antenna, 18" RFT or non RFT, and LED (especially for the angel eye rings)

Congrats on your new car and welcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh View Post
Have you noticed any flickering in your indicators due to the current check as noted in the following thread?

How to remove front indicators? http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881049
Yeah, I've been posting in that thread hoping someone find's a solution. I've only noticed a flicker on start up. But that doesn't really bother me. It would be if it happens while I'm driving.

However, even then I don't really care too much. If one day it just bugs the crap out of me, I'll just learn how to code the vehicle so it stops that. I already have the coding cable and the necessary large folder files, so I just gotta learn now.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Yeah, I've been posting in that thread hoping someone find's a solution. I've only noticed a flicker on start up. But that doesn't really bother me. It would be if it happens while I'm driving.

However, even then I don't really care too much. If one day it just bugs the crap out of me, I'll just learn how to code the vehicle so it stops that. I already have the coding cable and the necessary large folder files, so I just gotta learn now.
I am 95% confident that yours does flicker while driving, you just don't know it because it is so brief.

Turn the car on and sit in front of it for about 3 minutes. It will flash. And then it will do it again, every 3 minutes. Only way to remove it is coding.

I took mine out immediately after I put them in due to the flashing. Gives a false signal to those who are facing you because you can see it head on, just not from the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

De badge -Much easier to wax.
Short antenna - won't poke your eye out when you waxing. (bud I did get tired of it and switched back)
Newer style Chrome side marker lights - look much better than white with a wax.

Definitely the Micheline PSS Tires - Much nicer ride after you've waxed.
Appreciate 0