New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
ABRis
Rep
Drives: z4 35is

rattle in dash

Hi,

Been having a problem with my car. I have a z4 35is with 19" rims. I've been experiencing a rattle in the dash. The rattle sounds like something's loose somewhere in there. Took it to the dealer and was informed that this is a "common problem" in the z4's and that finding the source of the rattle is quite impossible.

No rattling when car is stationary, no rattling at "higher" speeds.

Any of you have the same problem? Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Yes there are a few of us on here with rattles all over the car.

I've solved most. The rattle I had from the dash was solved by the dealer however the entire dash now creaks when hitting manhole covers etc but this is preferable to the rattle I had.

Unfortunately cheap plastics and a hard ride make these cars prone to rattles.

Quieter than some SLKs I've driven.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Yes there are a few of us on here with rattles all over the car.

I've solved most. The rattle I had from the dash was solved by the dealer however the entire dash now creaks when hitting manhole covers etc but this is preferable to the rattle I had.

Unfortunately cheap plastics and a hard ride make these cars prone to rattles.

Quieter than some SLKs I've driven.
+1.

Put the roof down, and listen to that exhaust instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I have many rattles too. Will changing tires do anything - fitting non-RFT tires help?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
I have many rattles too. Will changing tires do anything - fitting non-RFT tires help?
Possibly.. it depends on the type of rattles you have? All the time or just on impacts/rough roads. I have minor 'buzzes' on rough roads, its quiet the rest of the time.. until I hit a manhole at which point there's a loud click from the boot/rear deck ( I have another thread on this ) which I've still not found
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I get more creeks than rattles. Like plastic rubbing plastic. Rattles I can handle because I know eventually I will find it and add a tie wrap to it to solve the problem. But with a creek now that is another story. My 128i is much worse. If I lay my arm on the arm rest and move it, it is loud. That is not what I expect from BMW but I guess if we stay with the brand we have to deal with it.
      01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
I get more creeks than rattles. Like plastic rubbing plastic. Rattles I can handle because I know eventually I will find it and add a tie wrap to it to solve the problem. But with a creek now that is another story. My 128i is much worse. If I lay my arm on the arm rest and move it, it is loud. That is not what I expect from BMW but I guess if we stay with the brand we have to deal with it.
Ah now the arm rest squeak I might be able to help you with. I had it. Fixing it is another matter. Its the hole in the lower armrest where the prong slots into from the upper arm rest/door. That V shaped clip in the lower armrest has some play in it, presumably to accommodate the prong movement when the door is being closed/put down. That V shaped clip makes the most god awful rubber squeak when moved left and right a few mm. Try it, pop a screwdriver or similar into the V shaped clip and move it left and right, it squeaks loudly. You can't get to it without removing the centre console tray (the bit with cupholders/phone holder in). So for now I've just squirted a little WD40 in there and its made it a bit better. Still makes noise tho, so once the weather improves I'll have that part removed, looks straight forward, and get to the bottom of that too.

Its part 10 here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...17&hg=51&fg=35

I just wish someone could help me with the loud click I get from the rear/deck area!

Last edited by ManiacGT; 01-21-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0