New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-20-2023, 02:33 AM   #1
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

New digital cluster for the E89

Morning all,

So I've been talking to the guys in China (same ones that brought out the Android Touchscreen a few years ago) and they've just released a digital cluster for the E89.
It's based on a Linux OS, so reliable and so far seems to work flawlessly. I've had mine in since Monday and I run my E89 everyday.

I've added some photos here, the ones of it installed are of mine (yes I know it's filthy, so's the whole car!).
So a few things to note;
1) The P, normally associated with an Auto is removable for a manual (I hadn't in the photo but I have now).
2) In the photo it shows the Oil Level indication, I initially put this on but have since removed it as it only changes if you are static with the engine running, so no real point having it displayed.
3) Mileage can be corrected, in case of discrepancies when installing the cluster.
4) Can be run in Imperial (Miles and gallons) or Metric (Kilometers and Liters)
5) The Normal/Sport/Sport+ button changes the display from Orange (Normal) to Red (Sport & Sport+) as well as the words at the bottom of the screen.
6) Display colours can be changed, to a point as there are a few options.
7) Also there are 5 themes, two of which I've shown here.
8) Cruise Control is shown on the screen while active. If you've got a retrofitted OE Cruise Control then this will work for you as well.

I will be producing an "Install and Set-up" video as well as a "My Thoughts" video. Then after a couple of months I'll produce an update video on how I'm getting on with it.
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 02:48 AM   #2
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Is that US gallons or imperial gallons?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 03:08 AM   #3
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
Is that US gallons or imperial gallons?
Good question I've sent them that so I'm awaiting a reply......

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 01:27 PM   #4
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

What's the ball park cost?

Any chance you will post your video on cheap back up cam install? Your videos are great!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #5
B21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
It’s where a lot of these Chinese products fall down..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 07:18 PM   #6
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
According to the symbol, that's oil temperature, not oil level.

That's useful. You don't want to push the engine until oil is up to temp.
      04-20-2023, 07:55 PM   #7
roadracer516
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, Z4 35i

Quote:
Morning all,

So I've been talking to the guys in China (same ones that brought out the Android Touchscreen a few years ago) and they've just released a digital cluster for the E89.
It's based on a Linux OS, so reliable and so far seems to work flawlessly. I've had mine in since Monday and I run my E89 everyday.

I've added some photos here, the ones of it installed are of mine (yes I know it's filthy, so's the whole car!).
So a few things to note;
1) The P, normally associated with an Auto is removable for a manual (I hadn't in the photo but I have now).
2) In the photo it shows the Oil Level indication, I initially put this on but have since removed it as it only changes if you are static with the engine running, so no real point having it displayed.
3) Mileage can be corrected, in case of discrepancies when installing the cluster.
4) Can be run in Imperial (Miles and gallons) or Metric (Kilometers and Liters)
5) The Normal/Sport/Sport+ button changes the display from Orange (Normal) to Red (Sport & Sport+) as well as the words at the bottom of the screen.
6) Display colours can be changed, to a point as there are a few options.
7) Also there are 5 themes, two of which I've shown here.
8) Cruise Control is shown on the screen while active. If you've got a retrofitted OE Cruise Control then this will work for you as well.

I will be producing an "Install and Set-up" video as well as a "My Thoughts" video. Then after a couple of months I'll produce an update video on how I'm getting on with it.
Very interesting and cool, thank you for sharing and look forward to future longer term updates!
Current: G01 X3 M40i (Carbon Black / Black Vernasca, Blue stitch Leather), E89 Z4 35i (Alpine White / Kansas beige leather), Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 (Black / Black leather), 2004 Honda Goldwing - Previously owned BMW's: E36 M3, E46 330i, E46 M3, F25 X3 3.5i M Sport, G12 750ix M Sport, F32 435i xdrive M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 09:32 PM   #8
Jakeinaka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
According to the symbol, that's oil temperature, not oil level.

That's useful. You don't want to push the engine until oil is up to temp.

This one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:27 AM   #9
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK, so he's come back with US Gallon.
Hopefully this will be an update at a later point, to give an option dependent on your country.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:31 AM   #10
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCW View Post
What's the ball park cost?

Any chance you will post your video on cheap back up cam install? Your videos are great!
I'm told $880US

As for reversing camera, I do have a video....

But now I'd recommend fitting one of these instead of a relay and then you can power it off the reverse light and not run a power lead from the fusebox...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, and I've also now fitted this camera instead of the one in the video...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:33 AM   #11
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeinaka View Post
This one
Yes indeed

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 07:38 AM   #12
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Firstly recognising that many mods aren’t perfect. You get what you get. But for US$880, this ought to be tits. Definitely no hacking the car to make it fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:24 AM   #13
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Firstly recognising that many mods aren’t perfect. You get what you get. But for US$880, this ought to be tits. Definitely no hacking the car to make it fit.
The cluster from ID4Motion also requires you to cut chunks out of the inner dash, and that one costs even more (with add-on mods), and to my knowledge a bit more than this one.
I've spoken to them and they told me there may be a version with cut corners (screen) coming for retail version, but I can't confirm that at the moment. I know that some of the versions for the E9x platform do have the cut corners, so hopefully this won't be an issue in the future.
Saying that, and I wasn't impressed to have to cut the two small sections out, they are only small and bear no importance or visual impact. Everything was as sturdy afterwards as it was before (and yes I did actually check that for myself).

Like every mod I do and show either on the forums or via my YouTube channel, it's all down to personal choice, in what you want, what you like and what you can afford, and also of what your abilities are, with that I try to give as much info as I can to show you how something fits. If you then decide to fit something then fine, if not then fine

Like I say, I will be giving my personal opinion on how it works and integrates with the car, and so far I've found one issue with it, but I'll leave that for the video

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 10:29 AM   #14
B21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, so he's come back with US Gallon.
Hopefully this will be an update at a later point, to give an option dependent on your country.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:04 PM   #15
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

Quote:
The cluster from ID4Motion also requires you to cut chunks out of the inner dash, and that one costs even more (with add-on mods), and to my knowledge a bit more than this one.
I've spoken to them and they told me there may be a version with cut corners (screen) coming for retail version, but I can't confirm that at the moment. I know that some of the versions for the E9x platform do have the cut corners, so hopefully this won't be an issue in the future.
Saying that, and I wasn't impressed to have to cut the two small sections out, they are only small and bear no importance or visual impact. Everything was as sturdy afterwards as it was before (and yes I did actually check that for myself).

Like every mod I do and show either on the forums or via my YouTube channel, it's all down to personal choice, in what you want, what you like and what you can afford, and also of what your abilities are, with that I try to give as much info as I can to show you how something fits. If you then decide to fit something then fine, if not then fine

Like I say, I will be giving my personal opinion on how it works and integrates with the car, and so far I've found one issue with it, but I'll leave that for the video
Hi Dave you mentioned a video on cheap rear cam emulator from aliexpress you were working on in lieu of the mmi.. any update you can add to that or a link / writeup for that?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #16
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCW View Post
Hi Dave you mentioned a video on cheap rear cam emulator from aliexpress you were working on in lieu of the mmi.. any update you can add to that or a link / writeup for that?
Got some further info on this post....
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139591

And this us the emulator I bought...
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHcO9xv

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 06:05 PM   #17
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeinaka View Post
This one
Ok. I didn't recognize what that was. You're right. I wouldn't want that on the display full time.
      04-21-2023, 11:20 PM   #18
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

DavesZed this is a cool type of mod I didn’t know existed.

What is the name of the vendor you are working with? Are there options besides your vendor and ID4motion?

Looking forward to the videos!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:12 AM   #19
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhoag View Post
DavesZed this is a cool type of mod I didn’t know existed.

What is the name of the vendor you are working with? Are there options besides your vendor and ID4motion?

Looking forward to the videos!
Once it goes live on their website I'll post a link

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2023, 10:06 AM   #20
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

which supplier are you working with. I talked to one that said they can get it now, also the person at carlife-mall.net told me another customer is testing the E9X cluster on the E89 to test if it works. and the trim piece fits.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 07:27 AM   #21
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
which supplier are you working with. I talked to one that said they can get it now, also the person at carlife-mall.net told me another customer is testing the E9X cluster on the E89 to test if it works. and the trim piece fits.
I'm working with ACARNAVI (acarmultimedia.com)
There are some on Aliexpress as well, but whether they'll supply yet is an unknown.
And the E9x cluster in the E89 from Carlife Mall - Unfortunately he hasn't posted back since December 2022, so no update from him.

Mine is fully working and I've done 890 miles with it so far and the video is almost ready. I have a couple of minor niggles with it, but I'm hoping I've just solved one, I'll see later today when I drive home from work and the other one I'll explain in the video

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 04:29 PM   #22
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

are you saying that the E9X screen works with the E89? does the trim/frame fit? and from a connection standpoint is it the same ?
The WhatsApp chat is been responsive for me with Carlife Mall he is checking with a E89 owner he sold a E9X unit to see if he is having any issues and it it works correctly. the price he quoted me is 550 for E9X and 650 for E89 specific one

I'm rather sure they are all made in the same factory so regardless of which seller you get them from its prob the same units.(just my thought)
Appreciate 0