New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
cwliew
Private
Rep
Drives: Sdrive30i, M sports pack

Idrive screen closing down during drive.

My car has been performing flawlessly since I got it 2 months or so ago. I have only just passed the 1500km drive in period and I have noticed something that is a little strange. When I drive a bout 20km or so, the idrive screen closes, and the HDD resets. I'm not sure what is happening, but everything shuts down - nav, music etc. It takes about 1-2 minutes before the idrive screen re-opens and the screen reboots and then it all starts again as if I had just started the car again.

Has anyone experienced this? It seems to happen at the 20km mark, and it is really annoying...
      11-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Ummm.. Sounds like something's wrong with the connectivity. My idrive shut just once and that was only the screen, the music kept playin but i was driving with the top open and there was some small raindrops, maybe thats why it shut. You should go to your BMW dealer and have them check it out.
      11-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
cwliew
Private
Rep

Wasn't raining, and wasn't hammering the car. Just coasting along in the backstreets at 60kmph not doing anything special. Hands nowhere near the idrive controls. Has happened twice. If it were a loose connection, should happen when I drive the car in a spirited fashion shouldn't it? Rather than just driving it sedately.
      11-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Yea, maybe the HDD is failing
      11-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
cwliew
Private
Rep

I have spoken to my guy at BMW and asked him about this. His immediate response was really intriguing.
He said: Was it in the vicinity of Marion Shopping Centre/Warradale. And it was! I thought he was following me around making sure my car was running smoothly or something!

Apparently there is some weird interference with the nearby army base which creates a bit of havoc with the nav system (I guess) and causes the idrive to shut down. Very very strange, but I wonder whether this is happening anywhere else in Australia. I guess it is happening to a few idrives around Adelaide, Australia...
      11-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwliew View Post
My car has been performing flawlessly since I got it 2 months or so ago. I have only just passed the 1500km drive in period and I have noticed something that is a little strange. When I drive a bout 20km or so, the idrive screen closes, and the HDD resets. I'm not sure what is happening, but everything shuts down - nav, music etc. It takes about 1-2 minutes before the idrive screen re-opens and the screen reboots and then it all starts again as if I had just started the car again.

Has anyone experienced this? It seems to happen at the 20km mark, and it is really annoying...
Quote:
I have spoken to my guy at BMW and asked him about this. His immediate response was really intriguing.
He said: Was it in the vicinity of Marion Shopping Centre/Warradale. And it was! I thought he was following me around making sure my car was running smoothly or something!

Apparently there is some weird interference with the nearby army base which creates a bit of havoc with the nav system (I guess) and causes the idrive to shut down. Very very strange, but I wonder whether this is happening anywhere else in Australia. I guess it is happening to a few idrives around Adelaide, Australia...
I recall one or two other members having similar experiences, but I don’t think they were in Australia. Seems that at least one of them was in North America and he had just started his Z in his driveway and it did the little dance. The other could have been Australia . . . but not sure. How do you know it's the HDD resetting, does it say that on the screen?

The problem could be a range of issues including a software issue, loose connection or bad connector, bad circuit board, a heat sensitive circuit or IC, etc. If it continues, it may not throw a code and it's likely your dealer will not be able to repeat it. You’ll need to try and repeat it by going over to that area to see it happens again so you can confirm or rule out his theory. Can't totally rule out his story, but it sounds like crap to me. Sometimes they make up sh*t so you leave 'em alone.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 11-24-2010 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
cwliew
Private
Rep

But very strange that he came up with the locations etc all without prompting and was totally correct. Either huge coincidence, or true. Will test again and report back...
      11-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwliew View Post
Apparently there is some weird interference with the nearby army base which creates a bit of havoc with the nav system (I guess) and causes the idrive to shut down.
I think it's just the stealth mode that is activated automatically when your Zed spots a military radar.

Sorry, bad joke
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
iwatchlive
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Hi all

cwliew- This is just how my issues started, 2009 E89 sDrive 35i Z4.

FYI-There is a high turnover of CCC reinstallations with new ones on this model.

All started with the screen occasionally going up & down of its own accord, numerous times into service department and all because this isn’t being reported in cars fault memory they didn't want to replace it.

BMW Germany is fully aware of this problem.

In my case it ended in a battle with BMW UK and after much testing & arguing I finally got the entire CCC system replaced. Never had a problem with it since.

I can pretty much guarantee if it's started going wrong this early on that you need to get it replaced.

I would advise looking at the following
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=23&t=21975

regards

iWatchLive
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
cwliew
Private
Rep

Thanks for the heads up. Will have a look at that thread