New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

EDC issues

and so i was about to install a KW3 coilovers in my s35i when my mechanic called and told me that cant be done, as my car has EDC.

i had many friends on the 23i thats on the coilovers, and another friend dirvign the s35i using the same coilovers. His car doesnt have EDC option so that wasnt an issue for him then. Now the question is, can i have the KW3 coilovers installed, without any engine checklights, and still have the sports and sports+ mode working at least on the throttle part?

any help will be much appreciated. thanks!

daniel
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Yes, you can take off the m adaptive suspension, although i dont find a reason... Your M adaptive suspension is as sofisticated as the KW.
If the computer gives you an error just try to find the BMW s35 non adaptive transistor.
      11-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
Yes, you can take off the m adaptive suspension, although i dont find a reason... Your M adaptive suspension is as sofisticated as the KW.
If the computer gives you an error just try to find the BMW s35 non adaptive transistor.
Thanks for your reply. So if I understand correctly even if my car has the edc option, I can take out the m adaptive suspension and pit on an aftermarket one? Ain't what the mechanic tells me though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Ummm... I managed to delete the magnetic ride (EDC) on an Audi S3 on the past. Your mechanic just doesnt have the "know-how"?
Check this out:http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1398618
Edit: ALOT of people are trying to retrofit the EDC on their bimmer's (really hard and alot of them fail), and you wanna take it off? Think about it twice.

Last edited by Constant.S; 11-22-2010 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi constant, thanks for the article, extremely helpful. I suppsoed its a step by step guide to disengaging the EDC to fit a aftermarket suspension? Just like to know if its a reversible process, and if the sports and sports+ mode still works for the throttle response.

I note your advice on not to do away with the EDC, but on my friends cars with the KW3s, it felt soo much better in every sense that I deem its worth doing the procedure. This car will see track duties too and I will need something with less body roll the very least.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

The article is from a BMW owner who wanted to get rid of his EDC, technically it applies to all BMW cars with variations. The Sport and Sport + functions should stay intact (just like a normal s35 without magnetic), and it will be reversible if no one cuts, bents, breaks anything in the process :P
Try some Anti-roll bar stabilisers (i think Hartge has adjustable for the e89) it will help with the understeer on track, make sure its stiffer on the back and then see if you really need the KW coilovers. Im sure you already dont use run flats... Personally i would invest on a Quaife LSD (or wavetrack) for track/competitive use.
What kind of mod's u got on your Zed?

Last edited by Constant.S; 11-22-2010 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

im on a jb3 tune, customised downpipes and esi exhaust. 235/F and 275/R non run flat rubber. customised intercooler and additional oil cooler. anti roll bars on the way
. Explored the LSD option but afraid it might be slightly too hardcore lol

I came across this thing from KW, KW code isolator module. might be useful I think...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Nice... Im gonna go the custom Downpipe route myself too since no one is fabricating them for e89 but gonna get the Stett intercooler and get a map flash tho. The code isolator module is what i used on my S3 but it was some other company's product that i dont recall the name, the KW isolator would be perfect. The LSD wont be hardcore its actually the opposite, it wont be as rough/bruttal as the factory equipped ELSD and will give you improved corner exit speed on track and be really usefull on everyday use, especially in low grip conditions, and make the car FUNNN to drift. You can get the wavetrack instead, people who use it say its much more progressive in function than the Quaife.
      11-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

do they already have a e89 model specific model out for the lsd?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
do they already have a e89 model specific model out for the lsd?
Its the same as for the 335's nothing changes but i know a BMW tuner who sells it(quaife, with lifetime warranty) specifically for the Z4e89's. Its the guy who me and a friend with a Zed gonna get ours from. He is located in europe but should be able to ship it for you. You have two options, either send yours and he replace the internals or get a complete assembly. The first option is cheaper. PM me for a link if you want.
      11-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

issit from uk? please pm me i like to keep it for future reference!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

PM sent.