New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

BMW Tire & Wheel Insurance

Almost had a pleasant experience with my RFT's. Last week while cleaning the car I noticed a 3/16" pin sticking out of the outside edge of my RR Tire. So I bubble soaped it - no leaks. Started pushing it around and noticed tiny bubbles. Made an appointment @ the dealer to get it checked out/replaced as I had purchased the 5 yr/50K miles BMW tire and wheel insurance. Continued driving it for the past 4 days putting on about 200 miles - after all it is a RFT and was not loosing pressure.

Down to the dealer this am. Tire replaced at $0 cost to me ($498 invoice for tire, labor, and tax). Hooray! I'm now 5/12ths of the way to break even cost of the insurance.

Pick up the car and notice a couple of scratchs in the rim from the tire change activity. I had pointed out the condition of the pristine wheel at checkin - asking them to return it to me in the same condition. Wrong! Point this out to the SA and he is actually quite appogetic and offers to fix it. Yes you will!

To be continued next week - hopefully they will do a good seamless repair job.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Sheesh what is it with BMW dealers messing up the wheel while mounting new tires? Good for you to point out the condition BEFORE the new tire was on. Prevents issues of shifting blame to you afterwards. This happened to Atty not that long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Almost had a pleasant experience with my RFT's. Last week while cleaning the car I noticed a 3/16" pin sticking out of the outside edge of my RR Tire. So I bubble soaped it - no leaks. Started pushing it around and noticed tiny bubbles. Made an appointment @ the dealer to get it checked out/replaced as I had purchased the 5 yr/50K miles BMW tire and wheel insurance. Continued driving it for the past 4 days putting on about 200 miles - after all it is a RFT and was not loosing pressure.

Down to the dealer this am. Tire replaced at $0 cost to me ($498 invoice for tire, labor, and tax). Hooray! I'm now 5/12ths of the way to break even cost of the insurance.

Pick up the car and notice a couple of scratchs in the rim from the tire change activity. I had pointed out the condition of the pristine wheel at checkin - asking them to return it to me in the same condition. Wrong! Point this out to the SA and he is actually quite appogetic and offers to fix it. Yes you will!

To be continued next week - hopefully they will do a good seamless repair job.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
I had an experience with BMW tire mounting that proves they are NOT a tire shop so it makes perfect sense that they would screw up the rims.

My M3 was shaking my fillings out after they installed new tires but they couldn't see anything wrong. They almost got it right on the third try but I still had to go to the tire shop around the corner for the experts to fix it. A simple high speed balancing was all it took....

Tire shops don't tune M3's and BMW don't do tires very well. Sometimes they get lucky...but don't count on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

LR low tire pressure light blarring red at me as I moved the car into the garage this evening. Nailed in the center of tread. At least I'll be near matching new rears at 6600 miles as the RR was replaced at 4800 due to prior flat. Now if the dealer can do the change without mucking up this wheel. So this will put me 10/12ths through the cost of the wheel & tire insurance. Won't feel too bad replacing the RFT's when their gone at least I'll have gotten my money out of the insurance.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
LR low tire pressure light blarring red at me as I moved the car into the garage this evening. Nailed in the center of tread. At least I'll be near matching new rears at 6600 miles as the RR was replaced at 4800 due to prior flat. Now if the dealer can do the change without mucking up this wheel. So this will put me 10/12ths through the cost of the wheel & tire insurance. Won't feel too bad replacing the RFT's when their gone at least I'll have gotten my money out of the insurance.
+1 good for you.
Appreciate 0