New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Bye bye 23i, hello 35is

Will have pics ASAP as it's a bit dark here right now.

In the mean time a few thoughts on the comparisons between the two.

Firstly the steering.

It's so much lighter with the iS than the 23i. Very shocked at the difference to be honest (unless there was something wrong with my 23i). Still feels very "electric" though.

Ride quality.

19" runflats and I think it's fine. Can't see what all the fuss is in the press even in sport+.

Exhaust sound.

Hmmmm jury is still out until I hit the magical 1200 miles. I do find there is a drone but two things about that.

It isn't run in yet and the right tailpipe is slightly off center. It's dark and very wet here so I will wait until morning to have a peep underneat. Could be some transport damage Though it's very nice at startup.

Power.

It's a beast.

DCT.

Just excellent in so many ways. Makes some strange clunking sounds now and then. Something to get used to.

Worries.

Engine oil temp runs at 120c. 23i was only 100. Is this normal?

So pleased with the car so far. It's a massive power hike from the 23i and drives very different (especially the power steering).

Main issue so far is that it was delivered with no mats. Dealer believes they may have been pinched in transit and has ordered me new ones.

I wasn't too please with the 22 miles on the clock either. My last Z had 4 upon delivery.

Pics soon. I promise.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Tell me Andy, did you have a MT with your 23i?

Do you like the steering better or no?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
tot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Andy View Post
Engine oil temp runs at 120c. 23i was only 100. Is this normal?
My 35i also hits 120c, I guess it is normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

I didn't think it necessary to pull the floor mats out when I dropped it off to be shipped home. I'll be PO'd if they are not there on redelivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tot View Post

Thanks. Puts my mind at rest.

@ Teague

I prefer the lighter steering at low speed, feels much more relaxed and makes low speed turns much quicker to negotiate. Havn't had a chance to press on yet but it certainly is a lot lighter. I have only done 100 miles and I have adjusted nicely.

My 23i was the six speed auto and was actually very good for an auto. DCT is on a whole new level and ultra quick.

The Z4 in iS trim is just perfect for me. I have a problem with my right hand. So the lighter steering is a real advantage and those pesky push pull paddles are actually perfect for me.

Neighbours must think i've won the lottery now that i'm on my second Z.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
same here
      10-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Pull and plug the vacuum line on the passenger side muffler. It open the flapper all the time rather than only during heavy throttle. Nice rumble. I still don't care for the steering feel. Non-RFT's really make a huge improvement. Oil temp sounds about right.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Puts my mind at rest.

@ Teague

I prefer the lighter steering at low speed, feels much more relaxed and makes low speed turns much quicker to negotiate. Havn't had a chance to press on yet but it certainly is a lot lighter. I have only done 100 miles and I have adjusted nicely.

My 23i was the six speed auto and was actually very good for an auto. DCT is on a whole new level and ultra quick.

The Z4 in iS trim is just perfect for me. I have a problem with my right hand. So the lighter steering is a real advantage and those pesky push pull paddles are actually perfect for me.

Neighbours must think i've won the lottery now that i'm on my second Z.
Thanks Andy. Very informative

I assumed that you did a lease and rolled into a new one from your 23i to your 35is.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
///carbon
tuned
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
i can confirm!!!

Z-Performance///M4: https://www.facebook.com/ZPerformanceM4
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
bill123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Andy
      10-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: sdrive35is

welcome to the club and enjoy!! It is a BEAST!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Re:

Oh no i'm having problems

The splash guard on the passenger side (driverside in US) wheel arch has fallen down and hit the tyre because........

THERE WAS NO NUTS HOLDING IT ON

Minimal damage and a tech is coming in the morning.

Also I measured the distance of the exhaust tips and the side with the flapper valve is 1 cm lower.

The flapper is also open all the time???? This is wrong right?

and finally the radio and bluetooth are not holding the information. If I leave the car for a while all the presets are gone.

Baffled to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:

The splash guard on the passenger side (driverside in US) wheel arch has fallen down and hit the tyre because........

Also I measured the distance of the exhaust tips and the side with the flapper valve is 1 cm lower.

and finally the radio and bluetooth are not holding the information. If I leave the car for a while all the presets are gone.

Baffled to be honest.
At idle the right side flapper should be closed. It is vacuum operated so the more the throttle opens the more the flapper opens. I think with the engine off the flapper defaults to open in order to dissapate heat and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
the belgian
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

andy, i to have a 2.3 and i wish now that i had a 3.5 , my car is 4 months old with 1600 miles, how much did it cost you to change it, i take it they are both new
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #15
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
At idle the right side flapper should be closed. It is vacuum operated so the more the throttle opens the more the flapper opens. I think with the engine off the flapper defaults to open in order to dissapate heat and exhaust.
With the engine off, there's no vacumm just like at full throttle. Hence the flapper is open.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Vacuum solenoid switches may default to an open or closed position. Vacuum negative pressure may also hold them open or closed.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Re:

Ok guys I have no real update.

Dealer has had the car all weekend and hopefully I will get the car home tomorrow.

I do know they have aligned the exhaust and whilst doing this the exhaust flap has no started to work, so they are investigating this.

The radio if left on an am station does not remember this station upon return to the car and defaults back to the start of the am radio spectrum (531 mhz here in the UK).

The loaner car has done this twice on me already (brand new 3 series Msport). There must be a programing problem with the new models.

The splash guards in the arches have been fixed and there was no nuts at all holding the various sections in place. Total disgrace to be fair.

@ The Belgian

PM inbound.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Baffled to be honest.
Andy, I'm a little confused. Are you having problems with your new 35is? Are you sure this car is new?

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes problems with the new car.

I'm rather concerned about the splash guards in the wheel arch not being secured at all. The nuts were all missing (along with the floor mats no doubt).

I hope the rest of it is screwed together ok. Hopefully all will be sorted tomorrow and its just a one off.

Car drives just great and the power is what I always wanted. I'm a lucky guy. Can't wait to get her home.

Dealer has been great BTW.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #20
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes problems with the new car.

I'm rather concerned about the splash guards in the wheel arch not being secured at all. The nuts were all missing (along with the floor mats no doubt).

I hope the rest of it is screwed together ok. Hopefully all will be sorted tomorrow and its just a one off.

Car drives just great and the power is what I always wanted. I'm a lucky guy. Can't wait to get her home.

Dealer has been great BTW.
Glad to hear it's not real bad news.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-25-2010 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #21
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Well I think the car was assembled on a Monday morning...
When I got mine, the right 255 wheel was on the front whell and the 225 on the back...
      10-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
Well I think the car was assembled on a Monday morning...
When I got mine, the right 255 wheel was on the front whell and the 225 on the back...
I know I should'nt but

Mine must have been a Friday afternoon car. must check the wheels in the morning just incase.

Anyways the car is back on my driveway. Dealer has ordered a new radio

I showed them the same fault on their loaner and they checked my old 23i and it works fine in that car, however BMW insist a new radio is required.

Everything else is sorted even the mats arrived
Appreciate 0