New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
MHW_IND
Registered
Rep
Drives: Saturn

Question Question about clutch assembly

I am a newbie. I am looking at a 2009 w/manual trans. The car has 7500 mi. The Carfax is reporting a clutch assembly replacement at 7000 mi. Has anyone else had this replaced? If so, what was replaced and why? Or should I just pass on this one? Any information would be welcome. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

What model are we talking about?

Is it a true manual transmission or a dual clutch transmission? Sometimes dealers are clueless and get these mixed up.

Is it being sold by a BMW dealership?

Can you get a repair history from the BMW dealership?

Does the CARFAX indicate it's being sold in the same state as the original owner?

Long and short of it: Manual transmission clutch failures are extremely rare under normal use, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a factory defect. The new clutch could be fine for many miles to come. If it's a dual clutch transmission (DCT) they fail very seldom but they would have replaced the entire transmission.

It could be completely innocent - the person had the car, treated it with TLC, the clutch was defective and BMW replaced it under warranty. The owner grew tired of it or wanted something else, so he/she traded it 500 miles later for something else on the BMW lot. Maybe even a different premium marque.

On the other hand, one thing I've seen is relatively low mileage BMWs still under warranty being sold as used cars on lower quality non-BMW lots. They could be repo's. A couple of these were on eBay identified as lemon law buy-backs. It's also true that BMW has bought back some Z4s before they were officially identified as lemons so they don't have disclose the details of the buy-back. The two or three eBay listing I noticed were for Z4s being sold in a different state from the original owner, as well.

Not all repairs are reported and therefore not reportable by CARFAX. That's why it would be a good idea to get a BMW repair history so you can see if there were other issues with the car.

IMO here's a couple of things to look for:

1. Is it being sold on a BMW lot?

2. Is the BMW dealership willing to certify it with an extended warranty?

3. If No's 1 and 2 are OK, and you can get a BMW repair history that pretty clean, it's likely a good bet.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-03-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
MHW_IND
Registered
Rep
Drives: Saturn

Question about Clutch assembly

Thanks Teague for the reply,

It is an s3.0

Is it a true manual transmission or a dual clutch transmission? Sometimes dealers are clueless and get these mixed up.

It is a true 6speed manual

Yes, the car is being sold by a BMW dealer

Don't know for sure, but I can ask the dealer.

Does the CARFAX indicate it's being sold in the same state as the original owner?

Yes, the car is being sold in the same state as delivered, the same dealer in fact.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW_IND View Post
Thanks Teague for the reply,

It is an s3.0

It is a true 6speed manual

Yes, the car is being sold by a BMW dealer

Don't know for sure, but I can ask the dealer.

Yes, the car is being sold in the same state as delivered, the same dealer in fact.
I'd get the repair history and ask the dealer some questions about the clutch repair issue and if it was a trade for another bimmer. He'll proabley lie to you, but you never know - it's worth a try.

Is he will willing to sell it as a CPO with an extended warranty?

Sounds good so far and other forum members should chime in with their thoughts on it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 10-04-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
As long as repairs are done at any BMW dealer, any BMW dealer can pull up the repair history on the car. A 7k mile clutch replacement sounds like someone was new to driving a stick. BMW clutches are typically pretty robust.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
It could be someone doing a little drag racing and burnt the clutch....check the tire wear and see how much rubber is left vs the mileage on the car
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW_IND View Post
I am a newbie. I am looking at a 2009 w/manual trans. The car has 7500 mi. The Carfax is reporting a clutch assembly replacement at 7000 mi. Has anyone else had this replaced? If so, what was replaced and why? Or should I just pass on this one? Any information would be welcome. Thanks!
Some good recommendations made bey everyone .... in my opinion if you are going to purchase a used car make sure it is a Certified one from a true BMW dealer that will provide you with the remainder of the warranty.

I was in a similar situation as you. I traded my 2008 Z4 30is in for a 2009 sDrive Z4 35i also with 7,000 KM on the odometer (my 2008 had 6,000 KM at trade in time). I got a good deal dollar wise. Also got the full (what was left) 3 1/2 year remaining warranty.

Good luck with your hunt for the car you seek

PS. One thing, before you leave the BMW lot have them inspect the wheels on the inside outer rim for cracks (one thing I did not do and I ended up with 2 cracked rear wheels at 18,000 KM). Just passing this on to you. As they say one learns everyday.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
zlowi
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda 626

Clutch assembly replaced

I guess I am currently looking at exactly the same car. Also worried about the clutch assembly replacement at 7k. If a clutch was replaced do I also have to be worried about the transmission? What is the cost of a complete transmission replacement?
Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlowi View Post
I guess I am currently looking at exactly the same car. Also worried about the clutch assembly replacement at 7k. If a clutch was replaced do I also have to be worried about the transmission? What is the cost of a complete transmission replacement?
Thx
It takes a lot to damage a manual transmission. The clutch takes the damage. The tranny should be fine.

My guess is that the car was driven by a novice manual driver.
Appreciate 0