New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
www.truecar.com pricing

I was on www.truecar.com and configured a Z4 35i. The MSRP is 66,900 and the website indicates that some local BMW dealers have some agreement with the website to offer the car at $500 above factory invoice, which would be $62,550.

Emailed one of the dealers and they replied back that they were "close" to that, "less than $1,000 away from that number".

I am just wondering if anybody else has tried this (or another similar web site) to get their new Z4 (or any other new BMW)?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Haven't used them, but did see them on eBay. They are basically a sales referral service for the dealerships. No doubt they've contacted local dealership who will pay them a fee for each lead. Doesn't surprise me the dealership contact would say "we're close". They don't like dropping their price right away anyway, so they'll suck you in and then who knows what stunts they'll pull once you get in there. I hate dealing with salesmen.

The last couple of new cars I've bought, once I know the make, model, color options, etc., I call the fleet manager tell 'em what I'm interest in buying and they'll tell you right over the phone what they have in stock, with options and colors. Write it down and call the next one. They know you're shopping and they'll tell you what fixed amount or percentage above invoice. The key is there' no hassle, no bate and switch, etc. Couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I set an appointment with the fleet manager, took my list of options, give 'em a deposit, they place the order and I'm on my way.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-01-2011 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Well, okay, I bit the bait and dropped by the dealership -- but took my wife with me so she could help me struggle free from the hook.

I spoke with the "business development manager" who apparantly didn't know very much about the Z4 ... thought lead time for an ordered car was only about 4 weeks since they are produced in the state of the art facility in South Carolina. (I didn't bother pointing out the point of assembly lines on the window stickers.)

Anyway, figured that was a hint that I spoke to the right guy pricing wise. He said that they just give 5% off, plus whatever promotions BMW is running (so I believe $1500 holiday cash had I taken one today).

5% off would be about $1,000 above invoice with the options I was looking at, with the $1,500 holiday cash it would be about invoice (I think my state considers this a rebate and taxes on top of it, so one doesn't get exactly $1500 off).

He said they can lock in whatever pricing and promotion by having me fill out a credit app. Supposedly that allows me to lock in pricing and promotions for up to 60 days. No comittments, no strings attached, I can just walk away doing nothing. I walked away from that one (<nocommentnecessary>).

Got to look at a couple of Z4's they had there. It always strikes me as odd that the car which is in the showroom (with the roof in the trunk of course to show it off) looks like an almost "normal" sized car, low, but not too difficult getting in and out of. But when I go outside and look at the ones in the lot, once I stand right next to one with the roof up, it's so unbelievable small ("how on Earth am I going to fit into this thing and not look totally ridicoulous trying to stumble out of it") ...

Also first time I saw walnut (through the car window). I have to admit I am a bit color blind, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it did look a bit too orangy for my taste.

Anyway, thanks for your input. Once I am ready to actually place my order, I'll follow your advise!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You got out unscathed - that's a good sign. I've heard stories of very congenial and very sharp BMW CAs, but the few that I've met came out of the same box of rocks that all the others came from.

The one thing they have trouble with is a buyer that's not caught up in the moment of looking at and driving the car. Shopping is important. Good luck and keep us posted.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

My suggestion: Call Irv.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Autobahn BMW of Fort Worth was offering $10k off any Z4 in stock last month (December 2010) - maybe worth a call?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
"in stock" sounds good, but I think if I spend that much, I would probably custom order one.

Another BMW dealer emailed me ... they just flat out said they would honor the invoice + $500 price.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
"in stock" sounds good, but I think if I spend that much, I would probably custom order one.

Another BMW dealer emailed me ... they just flat out said they would honor the invoice + $500 price.
+1 on ordering to your spec.

I knew I would never find an "in stock" one to my specs. Go the european delivery route if you can (have the time) - you'll have a great time, the wife will love it, and you'll save another 10-12%.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
I was thinking about european delivery. May just do the Spartanburg delivery. A couple of forum members posted issues with the re-delivery in the US ...

Plus, I am not sure if I am patient enough to wait for the car twice -- once for the european delivery, then a second time for it to cross the atlantic!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

CeEl: maybe I misread you but the E89 is not manufactured in Spartanburg. Only the previous generation.

+1 on ordering to your specs at this level of price.

+2 on walnut trim. I got alu trim with silver titanium.
imho wood trim is OK for sedan and limo, a bit out of context for sport car. But maybe it's just me. No offense to those who got wood trim
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
Lackey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 M Sport Vert

Garage List
2011 Z4 30i  [7.00]
BugsBunny - I believe you can have a Z shipped to SPA, pick it up there.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
CeEl: maybe I misread you but the E89 is not manufactured in Spartanburg. Only the previous generation.
Bugs I think he was referring to the BMW Performance Center Delivery program which is in the Spartanburg/Greer SC area.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Bugs I think he was referring to the BMW Performance Center Delivery program which is in the Spartanburg/Greer SC area.
Yep, sorry, that's what I was referring to.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
+1 on ordering to your spec.

I knew I would never find an "in stock" one to my specs
Me, too. Only I did.

I went in with a list of what I wanted to order, having done this many times over the years and always having to order my BMW's to get what I wanted.

This time, they found exactly what I wanted a couple of states away. Up here in the northeast with these little tiny states that's not very far (150 miles). That meant I could get the $1,500 holiday promotion.

I'd printed invoice prices and some dealer offers from USAA's buying service. My dealer didn't blink and said they could do $500 over invoice. With the holiday promotion, that's $1,000 under invoice. With $500 from BMW CCA, that's even better.

I had the keys in my hand within a few days. The delivery process, mostly the iDrive stuff, took far longer than negotiation and paperwork.

Except for having to order it (since nobody has them yet), the same applies to my wife's 2011 X3. Do your research ahead of time and it can be pretty painless.
Appreciate 0