New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #23
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
I don't count anything without a set of Kidneys as a "real" BMW. But learned something today, thanks...
True.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #24
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
The whole concept or rear, mid or front-engined cars is becoming obsolete with the new crop of hybrids. By locating pieces of the powertrain in different locations the engineers have whole new ways of distributing weight.
You are right. See you drive a Lexus too. Checked out the RX450h few months ago... weird they put engine all over the place.

Friend of mine bought a Tesla. Electric engine, but beating the Z4 easily. But miss the sound...
      01-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Wikipedia is your friend my friend.

They did a few rear engined cars, and one was particularly notable - the 700 - that saved BMW from bankruptcy.

BMW 700
Correct here is the story as posted in 2007 CLICK

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #26
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Interesting article - thanks
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #27
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #28
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
You are right. See you drive a Lexus too. Checked out the RX450h few months ago... weird they put engine all over the place.

Friend of mine bought a Tesla. Electric engine, but beating the Z4 easily. But miss the sound...
Electric cars are so quiet at low speed, Japan is considering mandating an artificial noise generator to save their pedestrians. Some e-car and hybrid models already have them.

I predict a market for fake engine noises, similar to ringtones for phones. Make your Prius sound like a Ferrari 599!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #29
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Electric cars are so quiet at low speed, Japan is considering mandating an artificial noise generator to save their pedestrians. Some e-car and hybrid models already have them.

I predict a market for fake engine noises, similar to ringtones for phones. Make your Prius sound like a Ferrari 599!
You mean like the fake noises most of our lovers have made

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #30
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post

Even "traditional" drivetrains have gained innovative designs to improve weight distribution: battery in the trunk (BMW), front engine with rear gearbox (Ferrari, others), mid-engine (Boxster), front engine behind the front axle (BMW), transmission in front of engine (Toyota iQ) etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #31
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
!
So does the EU. They will force manufacturers to include a noise generator.
      01-03-2011, 02:19 AM   #32
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Here are few initials of what is going on in China and at BMW Chinese Plants. BMW is introducing on the Chinese market the electric-powered MegaCity Vehicle, in 2014.
This was confirmed by a BMW Engineer (Source).
I am still digging to see if BMW Megacity is a rear Engine, though it is not neither a 1 series nor will be lunched in 2011...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #33
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

Here is an extract from another blog giving more insight on the BMW MegaCity.
Quote:_____
The Megacity family will carry on BMW’s core values and according to BMW executives, will look and drive as a premium product, and will not be a compromise between looks, performance and safety. Quoting Van Hooydonk, “the car looks solid, with a higher riding position that inspires safety. Some iconic BMW design elements might be omitted in the MCV, but other new design elements will be introduced that in their turn, could turn the car into a sub-brand.
At launch, Megacity will be offered in a two-door, four-seat configuration. The car will measure around 157 inches. In the future, the MCV sub-brand will include two additional models. First one due in 2015 and dubbed ICV, short Intracity Vehicle, will be a two-door, two-seat car. In 2017, UCV – Urban Commuter Vehicle -will extend the length of the initial MCV and has four doors while hosting five people.
BMW Megacity is powered by a lithium-ion battery with 35 kWh of capacity placed below the vehicle’s floor. Rear-wheels approach remains in BMW’s philosophy and the power is sent to the rear wheels through a rear-mounted 150-hp electric motor. Driving range is expected to top at 100 miles and top speed at 95 mph.
End of Quote____
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 02:28 AM   #34
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep

There is another article showing the E1 to be the BMW Megacity vehicle. Photo attached below. Both articles are confirming that the Electrical engine is mounted in the rear of the car. Hence where the rumor came out saying BMW is lunching a rear Engine car in China...
E1 is the initials for that car, hence the confusion with the 1 series...

Are these new info falling in place, explaining that rumors I've been hearing are materializing ?

Does anyone have more info to share?
Attached Images

Last edited by Land_Shark; 01-03-2011 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #35
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
And that is why an X1 should never have sex with a Volkswagen Golf.
Appreciate 0