New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
The enjoyment factor cannoit be valued.'
However when you put the cost of ownership on paper it takes stops your heart.
Almost makes you want to get a 4 yrs old Kia hatch for $8k with 6 years of maintenance left and put the $ to work instead, eh?

But as you said, enjoyment factor is worth something, and for me personally, I think life's too short for boring cars

FWIW, you should look into the high performance Porsche models if you want low depreciation. Cayman R, Boxster Spyder and 997.2 GT3 (especially the RS 4.0) versions are transacting close to their brand new sticker prices, even though the cars are a few years old now. The RS 4.0 in particular has appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #24
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni
Quote:
However when you put the cost of ownership on paper it takes stops your heart.
I don't understand this at all, perhaps because I ordered new? The cost of ownership does not stop my heart in any way, I wanted the car, I wanted it new, I wanted it exactly the way I ordered it, and I paid for that. Never think/thought twice about it.
+1. I think this whole argument is ridiculous. What? A car is supposed to be an investment? If you buy this impractical car it's because you really want it. Drive it, enjoy it, and suck up the depreciation. If it "stops your heart", get out and buy Nicknaz's Kia

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #25
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
I don't understand this at all, perhaps because I ordered new? The cost of ownership does not stop my heart in any way, I wanted the car, I wanted it new, I wanted it exactly the way I ordered it, and I paid for that. Never think/thought twice about it.
Spoken like someone for whom money is no object. Good for you!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
I will join the Z4 club as a lease non-owner for this very reason. I got in with those insanely high residuals in the US in October. By the end of the lease BMW will "give" me -what- about 50% more than they can get for the used car?
Not being familiar with those October lease deals, can you post the relevant numbers on the car you got?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #27
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

I agree. If you want to by a car that doesn't depreciate much then buy a Honda, Toyota, Lexus etc. I doubt that there is anyone on this board that bought their Z4 strictly for transportation but rather for the enjoyment of driving a Z4. I always buy preowned cars that are 3 to 4 years old and let someone else take the huge hit upfront. I personally think that you should never buy a car if you are worried about how you are going to get out of it or if you are worried about how much money will be lost.

Buy the car you want and can afford and drive it like you stole it.

Last edited by Lambobimmer; 12-19-2014 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #28
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I love all the feedback, as that is what this thread was designed to do. Keep the Conversation going. Its fantastic.

I too have not invested hours on end washing, cleaning, keeping it spotless nor invested over $4000 more into the car in purchases of upgrades of wheels, aftermaktet parts, extended warranty, etc expecting a return of 1 cent. These are my instant gratification wishes that I want and will spend for my personal enjoyment- JUST LIKE the purchase of the Z. I feel fantastic just driving it for the mundane things like getting my dog his doggie food.

I never bought the car NOR any car for ASS U ME ing to maintain level value nor stupid enough to think that it was not going to NOT depreciate ESPECIALLY when I researched and looked at the reduced values of the Z from new when I bought it

I really don't care if the Z is worthless. I just love knowing its in the garage. In fact, I was out in the garage just this morning just staring at it and admiring how COOL of a car it is. Theres nothting on the road. Everywhere I go and everybody who see's it ask's about it. Porsche's are everywhere and now common. The Z is a classic sports car to hopefully live on forever.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #29
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Drive it, enjoy it, and suck up the depreciation. If it "stops your heart", get out and buy Nicknaz's Kia
I think the second part of my post, where I recommended to buy a Porsche gt3 rs (which has historically appreciated) is much better!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #30
lamy29
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i 2010

hah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

Edit: It makes much more sense to get a 4 yrs old Kia hatch that's fully depreciated with 6 more years left of factory warranty.... but F that... life's too short for boring cars
Its so Funny you made that comment, I had an unfortunate accident, went from a brand new kia optima to infiniti g37 and now 2010 3.5i. Life is much more interesting getting around. I spent weeks debating what the OP said and practicality, lol.

Funny thing is every time I think if this was a bad idea, i forget the minute I walk up to my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #31
lamy29
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i 2010

Quote:
I really don't care if the Z is worthless. I just love knowing its in the garage. In fact, I was out in the garage just this morning just staring at it and admiring how COOL of a car it is. Theres nothting on the road. Everywhere I go and everybody who see's it ask's about it. Porsche's are everywhere and now common. The Z is a classic sports car to hopefully live on forever.
Exactly, I had a few friends who kept nagging me to get a Porche or M3/4. I said to them exactly what you said, I spend days/years on end on LA traffic I see everything going to work and a Z4 for the price is a rarer car then porches. No other BMW looks like this from various angels. As well as compared to to other convertible models the top down and up looks great and natural.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamy29 View Post

Its so Funny you made that comment, I had an unfortunate accident, went from a brand new kia optima to infiniti g37 and now 2010 3.5i. Life is much more interesting getting around. I spent weeks debating what the OP said and practicality, lol.

Funny thing is every time I think if this was a bad idea, i forget the minute I walk up to my car.
Glad you are ok! Congrats on the z4.

I sat in the Kia cadenza and k900 at the auto show this year and it's amazing how far Kia has come, and with such a great warranty too. I hate to say it but those cars have a more upscale interior that the black leather with no navi in my z4 (not to mention the cloth in the m3 I just ordered) what's the world coming to eh? Cloth in a 60k bimmer and quilted leather and contrast stitching in a $60k Kia.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #33
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Glad you are ok! Congrats on the z4.

I sat in the Kia cadenza and k900 at the auto show this year and it's amazing how far Kia has come, and with such a great warranty too. I hate to say it but those cars have a more upscale interior that the black leather with no navi in my z4 (not to mention the cloth in the m3 I just ordered) what's the world coming to eh? Cloth in a 60k bimmer and quilted leather and contrast stitching in a $60k Kia.
Kia and Hyundai are really going for a good impression with good interior. I just wish the steering was more suitable for highways, I found it to require more work in a straight line than other cars.

Oh and no convertibles
Appreciate 0