New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
petro1head
Private
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

JB4 on 35i

Been looking at this piggy back

I understand there are several maps however my car is standar. I can get either 95 or 98 fuel so which maps can I run

How are the maps done ie is there a progressive increase of power as the engine warms up?

I can get the JB4 in the UK, are there alternative tuning options
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
BIGBOYQ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 28i

Hi,

I had an JB4 on my 335i - there are loads of options available and you can purchase from http://www.theperformancecentre.co.uk/#!shop/c22lx

Regarding options the main advantage of the JB4 is the ability of changing MAPs on the fly - wild to mild.

Map 0: Stock bypass.
Map 1: 13psi. Suggested for most racing applications.
Map 4: Stock map w/ CAN active. Allows full logging and in dash gauges on the stock mapping.
Map 5: Autotuning map. Boost ranges between 12-17psi based on your cars octane, conditions, and modifications. Fully E85 compatible. If using E85 we suggest around 30% to start. Refer to the E85 FAQ for addl info. Resets to 93 octane level adaptions when selected and adjusts itself up or down from there.

1) Steering wheel controls menu attached. Note this guide is for the latest G5 ISO system.
2) JB4 has cold/hot oil protection built in. So expect stock like boost until oil temps are > 160 degrees. Same goes for oil temps > 280 degrees.
3) The JB4 has several safety systems built in that will force a switch to map 4 (low boost) if the JB4 notices various conditions. Including boost over target, fuel pressure below target, and air/fuel ratio running lean. If you ever encounter an automatic switch to map 4 review the FAQ below for addl information.

However there are loads of options - lot of people rave about COBB - which is an flashing the ECU.

There is loads of information on the internet - and to be honest I purchased my first JB4 from ebay for about £200

Found this for you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobb-Acces...item43def82342
e46 220D (Sold)

Last edited by BIGBOYQ; 07-13-2015 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

www.n54tech.com is best resouce for JB4 info. Terry over there developed the JB product and is really active there.
      07-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

I am running with jb4 since 2014. I loveeeee it. BUT there are some problems, I am not sure if other members have similar or same problems. One of them is, when I push shift down button end of the gas pedal car jerks 3 seconds, I know it is because of DCT. And when I shift the gear up, it does different than what normally my car does. So I hate those 2 problems but I believe those can be solved with custom map which I couldn't find someone to do it yet. Cobb is another option and I believe there are custom tunes experts that will send you custom maps. If I would choose one of them again I think I would choose cobb because of custom maps by wedge performance.

Last edited by talhagursoy; 07-14-2015 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 11:55 PM   #5
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Running jb4 on dct cars is not a great idea. There are plenty of options that factor in the extra torque and increases the clutch pressure to avoid slippage and premature dct wear. Get an ECU tune that tunes both the engine (preferrably both engine responsiveness and power) as well as dct. jb4 is a better option on mt and at cars and when adding meth etc. But it still cant tune for engine responsiveness. Beaware that tuning for throttle mapping, such as available with the Cobb tune, is not the same as tuning for engine responsiveness. Those are different parameters.
Appreciate 0