New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
greggk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 35is

Advice on Purchasing

Hello all,

Have enjoyed reading this forum for a few years and currently gearing up to purchase a 2012 z4 35is.

Wanted to get best advice on source for the purchase. I have used a third party broker on my last few car purchases (with success on pricing and convenience) including my 05 Z4 but this did not involve a factory order which I may consider on this purchase as I am specific on options I want/do not want.

Does build to suit method hurt/help or indifferent to the deal I can get on the vehicle.

Should I use the grind it out method at dealership or does the internet sales approach work just as well if I already know color and options?

I live in Southern California if anyone has area specific advice or dealers that are better than others. Looks like the spread on invoice and sticker will be about $6,000 (excluding regional ad fees and holdback to dealer).

I'm thinking for a lower demand car like the Z4 a $1,500-2,000 profit should be my high end.

I would appreciate thoughts. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Advice

Exact price details are hard to say. But, here is my .02 cents.

Order it! Build it just like you want. It should not increase the price. It may make it cheaper if you do European Delivery. Regardless of price make the car exactly what you want. You will be happier with it in the long run.

Since you know it will be a bit of a wait if you order it, why not add Euro Delivery, save additional funds and get the trip and the fun of driving your car in Germany.

I have done three Euro deliverys for myself and went once with my brother.

Send me a private message if you want more info on Euro Delivery.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wiles; 11-28-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

You can save about 13% off US MSRP if you do an ED through a dealer that will sell for about $1K over ED invoice. There are plenty that will. Check out the European Delivery forum on bimmerfest.

Personally, I have done several and recommend Adrian Avila at BMW of South Atlanta. He is a great CA and specializes in European Deliveries.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
There are a few dealers that are on this forum that give really great deals I hear. If You're looking to just save money then do ED. If you don't have time for ED, then order it through one of these dealers and pick it up from them when it comes in.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

T.805.482.8878 ask for Ryan Amico
www.stevethomasbmw.com

Best price you will get. Mention that your from the forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

go the euro way should be a great experience!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post
T.805.482.8878 ask for Ryan Amico
www.stevethomasbmw.com

Best price you will get. Mention that your from the forum.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
greggk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 35is

Getting ready to purchase soon and would appreciate feedback from folks for their views on must have vs so so vs dont need at all options. Here is what I think right now:

Model: 2012 35is

Blue with the kansas walnut leather and brushed aluminum.

Options I want with a few questions:

cold weather, premium package, premium sound

BMW assist-…..I’m assuming this is the handsfree bluetooth phone feature which is important to me. The assist not so important with AAA and a mobile phone these days. Is the hands free just through the radio independent of a Nav system?

Parking assist-……is this audio beeping only versus my SUV which the rear camera shows the video on my radio screen/nav system? which I love. The BMW system seems more rudimentary but still an important safety feature.

19 inch wheels…more stylish to me than the standard 18 inch

Options not considering

Nav System…I have a nav system in my family SUV (but not in my 2005 Z4) and have used maybe 10 times in four years. With iphone/ipad GPS if necessary I don’t see the need. Thoughts? Are there any other things it will do besides giving me directions? Any cool interfacings with other options?

Keyless entry..if there was an automatic start when outside the car like my SUV then I would consider but this just seems to be a key FOB type of option.

6 disc changer …if I can utilize my Iphone and have a single disc if necessary why would I need this? Also regarding my iphone, is it an audio plug in to interface with the sound system?

Automatic High Beams..dont see the need...rarely use..will turn on if I need to

BMW apps..my understanding is only can get with Nav system. Why do I need? The one upside is I can fully integrate my iphone? This means it is fully operational from the Nav system board? And is chargable? For another $2,500 with the Nav system… I’m not so sure how much value there is to this if I can plug in my iphone .

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
Getting ready to purchase soon and would appreciate feedback from folks for their views on must have vs so so vs dont need at all options. Here is what I think right now:

BMW assist-…..I’m assuming this is the handsfree bluetooth phone feature which is important to me. The assist not so important with AAA and a mobile phone these days. Is the hands free just through the radio independent of a Nav system?

Parking assist-……is this audio beeping only versus my SUV which the rear camera shows the video on my radio screen/nav system? which I love. The BMW system seems more rudimentary but still an important safety feature.

Options not considering

Nav System…I have a nav system in my family SUV (but not in my 2005 Z4) and have used maybe 10 times in four years. With iphone/ipad GPS if necessary I don’t see the need. Thoughts? Are there any other things it will do besides giving me directions? Any cool interfacings with other options?

Keyless entry..if there was an automatic start when outside the car like my SUV then I would consider but this just seems to be a key FOB type of option.

6 disc changer …if I can utilize my Iphone and have a single disc if necessary why would I need this? Also regarding my iphone, is it an audio plug in to interface with the sound system?

BMW apps..my understanding is only can get with Nav system. Why do I need? The one upside is I can fully integrate my iphone? This means it is fully operational from the Nav system board? And is chargable? For another $2,500 with the Nav system… I’m not so sure how much value there is to this if I can plug in my iphone .

Thanks
Dude! that is hell of a combo. please did post some pics, as configured or actual car.
congrats
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:

Options not considering

Thanks
Parking asst - just look over your shoulder. I hate the appearance of those bumper nipples.
19" wheels - lots of people have had cracked rims with the 19 inchers
Keyless entry (convenient access) - I was skeptical but I absolutely love this. It';s really nice not having to pull the keys out of your pocket to open the door.
CD changer - what's a CD?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I find that shopping on the internet especially near year end can be in your favour for the following reasons;-

1) You can search dealerships within a certain radius of your home base.

2) Some dealers have cars in stock and you may find close to what you are after.

3) Should you find what you are after then you can start negotiating over the phone or via e-mail.

I did this on my last new car purchase and found a fully loaded M3 almost exactly what I was looking for and closed the deal over the internet using e-mail, phone and fax.

I asked for the best price and told them I like to see the discount on the quote as well that they are not the only dealership I am looking at. I think this helped to get the best discount and they sharpened there pencil.

My deal was based on $5K down (over the phone) once I agreed on the deal trade in and cash on delivery.

It saved me the long wait (2 to 3 months). I purchased the car and had delivery 5 days after purchase.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Options not considering

Thanks
I got that same color and trim combo. Picked it up last week. I have gotten lots of compliments on how it looks. I haven't yet played with all the features of the idrive, but I like it overall. I have found the park assist very helpful. I think it is hard to tell just where the front and back of the car are. It does seem to pick up on some curbs too. Comfort access I really like. As said before it is nice to not have to pull the keys out. I think you also have to have ca to use the remote to put the top down/up with the key fob.

Definitely agree with the premium package and sound package additions. I had a six disc changer in my last car and the same six discs sat in it while I listened to satellite radio.

Good luck with your search.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

1. The comfort access is really convienent. I did read in the manual though that you should drive an extended distance with the key in the slot evy once in awhile so it can gather info from the car.

2. I agree the 6 disc changer is useless. Who needs a 6 disc changer in the glove box, HOWEVER, the sound quality of the premium sound is really, really good in my opinion.

3. I have 19 inch wheels. I love the look but don't get style 296 wheels if you go with 19 inch!

4. I personally would add sattilite radio, I know many wouldn't but I like commercial free!

5. I'm not sure what package gives you the ambiance lighting but I kind of like that too.

6. I like having NAV especially since someone here recently told me about sending directions from google maps to the car. It is a little cumbersome to program directions from the I drive. The I drive itself is a nice feature for controlling functions....gives lots of stuff to look at if you are into that.
      12-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Hey Jayda,

Slightly off topic perhaps, but Google (at least in Canada) has recently removed the feature enabling you to push your map coordinates to your Nav (in their infinite wisdom). Not sure if they've done this for the U.S. but UK / Canada customers have lost this great feature.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
19" wheels - lots of people have had cracked rims with the 19 inchers
Note: on the 35is you get the 326M wheels, not the 296 wheels when you option the 19" rims.

No one has recorded a crack in a 326M wheel that I know of, and they look "Dead Sexy"! (With apologies to Austin Powers)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0