New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #23
IMR
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toureg TDI, Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC2 View Post
I think all the things you mentioned are quite a bit actually and could be a sign of accidents or other trouble.
Sorry, not following... Which things are quite a bit/worthy of concern? As near as I can tell it is a low miles car that received its basic service interval. But that's all I know aside from it looking clean from the photos I've seen. It is non cpo as it is not at a bmw dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #24
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Pir8 View Post
BMW dealer ok? Or a good indie? Not being a local, I have literally no insight into the good vs bad shops.
I would try to avoid the dealer, but it's not the worst option.
Do a search for BMW Repair and see what comes up. My experience showed that there were several in the area I searched that listed Pre-purchase Inspection as a specialty.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #25
IMR
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I would try to avoid the dealer, but it's not the worst option.
Do a search for BMW Repair and see what comes up. My experience showed that there were several in the area I searched that listed Pre-purchase Inspection as a specialty.
I've sent out a couple of inquiries for indies near the car. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I've sent out a couple of inquiries for indies near the car. Thanks.
Indies won't be able to read the key and give you all of the service history.

Might want to do indie if you can't find a BMW franchise dealer you trust, but still make time to get the key read so you can pull the service history, which would include recalls done, repairs etc. Pretty key document to have before buying, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #27
IMR
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Indies won't be able to read the key and give you all of the service history.

Might want to do indie if you can't find a BMW franchise dealer you trust, but still make time to get the key read so you can pull the service history, which would include recalls done, repairs etc. Pretty key document to have before buying, in my opinion.
I gave the vin to the dealer that the car came from and got all the service history they had - very minimal but given the low miles, not unexpected?
Is there anything else that the key-read would get?

The indie I found has a 3 week backlog. Argh. A bit of a wait if I want this as a pre purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I gave the vin to the dealer that the car came from and got all the service history they had - very minimal but given the low miles, not unexpected?
Is there anything else that the key-read would get?

The indie I found has a 3 week backlog. Argh. A bit of a wait if I want this as a pre purchase.
It is probably the same thing, didn't realize you had already gotten the service history.

My SA and I were discussing my Z4 a while ago, and after reading the key she showed me all of the info about the car that was on her screen, such as the times it had been in for roof maintenance, hpfp replacement etc etc. Literally every visit where the car was in for service, across all the different franchise dealers I've been to, were available for her to review.

I was GUESSING this was from the key read, but likely all that happened is the VIN was pulled from my key and brought up all of the relevant information

At a minimum, there should be low mileage annual oil changes for each year the car has been in service in the record you received, and I think there should be a major and minor inspection, because those have a time, as well as mileage, interval requirement . If those aren't on there, maybe inquire if there is more info to give, or be suspicious the car has not been correctly maintained.

I am perhaps overly cautious, but I do think the extremely detailed history is critical to make some guesses about how the car was used.

For example, if you saw an M3 with an oil change 6k miles after the initial 1.2k mile change, and that tires were swapped in the same visit, when the car had around 7k total mileage, it might suggest something about how the previous owner was driving that car
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #29
IMR
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It is probably the same thing, didn't realize you had already gotten the service history.
I'll check with the local dealer and ask if they could get anything else from the key...

Quote:
I am perhaps overly cautious, but I do think the extremely detailed history is critical to make some guesses about how the car was used.

For example, if you saw an M3 with an oil change 6k miles after the initial 1.2k mile change, and that tires were swapped in the same visit, when the car had around 7k total mileage, it might suggest something about how the previous owner was driving that car
Agreed. I'm given to caution as well but darned if the independent I'd like to use for PPI isn't booked for the next three (3!) weeks. Boo! There's already an autumn crisp in the air, so if I want any top down driving, it has to be soon....
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #30
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

BTW, mind sharing what the asking price is for this car?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #31
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. I'm given to caution as well but darned if the independent I'd like to use for PPI isn't booked for the next three (3!) weeks. Boo! There's already an autumn crisp in the air, so if I want any top down driving, it has to be soon....
You can always wear your winter clothes, blast the heat and still drive top down

Don't do it man.. no PPI is just asking for an issue
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #32
IMR
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You can always wear your winter clothes, blast the heat and still drive top down

Don't do it man.. no PPI is just asking for an issue
Apparently I was too cautious or chose the wrong indie. I had a PPI appt set up but someone else got the car. Boooo!
Appreciate 0