New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-18-2022, 04:02 PM   #1
KawiZ4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35is

2012 35is oil filter housing weep

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all, just got a 2012 35is, has had recent plugs/coil packs, otherwise needs lots of cleanup from previous owner. Looking through google searches on common issues I saw the filter housing gasket failures. Mine appears to have this- wet underneath the housing everywhere. I did a search here and haven't found a complete how to or more importantly parts list/BOM. I see some pkgs through vendors including gaskets, intake gaskets, bolts, etc. I'm coming from a 2007 cayman, so I've dealt with their common issues, and figure there is a similar group of things to look for on this car. Top operates well and looks very tight/clean so that's good. 65k miles, brakes are done, new battery, and I plan on flushing Coolant, brake fluid, but want to tackle this filter housing first. I watched a YouTube video from FCP Euro doing the job and he replaced the throttle body donut as well. Is this a decent video to use for the job? It's dead of winter here so a good time to tackle the job. Thanks
Attached Images

02-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Have a look at this similiar thread
https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133551

as well as this:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130932
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 05:27 AM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

You can use any N54 oilfilter housing gaskets DIY that is out there.

Multiple videos on youtube. FCP EURO guides are good.

Z4 its a bit easier to do than on a 3 series, because theres more room.

To make more room you have to remove the radiator fan. Slides out from top.

You probably need new bolts, and 2 gaskets. New coolant aswell.

Got mine done about 2 years ago, so i dont remember everything.

If its already been leaking down the front of the engine, then its recommended to replace the aux belt aswell.. Oil damages it and it can break. And if it breaks its possible that it gets sucked into the engine by the crank pulley and then it makes a lot of damage that you definately dont want. It gets chewed up by the timing chain and bits of it end up in your oil pan. If you search for it you will find some horror stories out there. There are videos on youtube aswell.
https://www.autoscopecarcare.com/bmw...inside-engine/

There are aftermarket protector plates that you can install behind the crank pulley to prevent aux belt to be sucked into the engine. So if you want peace of mind then buy and install one.

I replaced my belt and belt tensioner for that reason. Pulleys seemed fine so i did not touch those but you can replace them aswell if you wish.

Also when working on the housing be very careful to not get any debris however small into the oil channels.

It did happen to me. After repair on first startup car started to idle ruff. Like a big old american v8 with cams.
So after googling we found out that debris flows with the oil to vanos solenoids, block them etc and they cant actuate properly. Common mishap while doing those gaskets.

So the shop that did the work took out vanos solenoids and small filters that are before vanos solenoids and cleaned them. After that car ran fine again. That was one day of extra free work for them as it was their fault.

i have replaced many gaskets on my engine. Oil filter housing gaskets was the first to go, next did new valve cover with new gasket and recently changed out crankshaft main seals both front and rear. Going to do oilpan gasket aswell in the future. Thats the only one i havent replaced yet of all the common leak spots.

And the the small chain tensioner gasket ring leaked a bit aswell long time ago so replaced that tensioner aswell.

Last edited by KennyP; 02-19-2022 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 06:00 AM   #4
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616347

this may help aswell.
      02-19-2022, 06:19 AM   #5
KawiZ4
United_States
Rep

Thanks a lot for the tips and links. good point about the belt, once it warms up a bit here i'd like to dive in and get this taken care of, and from doing searches i found the valve cover issues too, probably next on the list.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 08:23 AM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Couple words of advice. Unless you need to flush your coolant, there’s no need to drain the system. Just place a line clamp on the coolant hoses.
Do not remove the intake manifold completely. All that’s needed is to pull it away enough to access the hidden bolt for the OFH.
You’ll need new O rings for the oil cooler lines.
The coolant hose coming from the tstat to the OFH…the plastic fitting on the end of the hose is prone to break. Rein makes a metal replacement https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/Z3...ywords=Chc0609
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #7
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

+1 on that coolant hose plastic fitting. It gets brittle with all the heat cycling and just falls into pieces.
Can leave you on the side of the road.

I ordered a black aluminum one from 55parts.de in Germany in december. REIN isnt really available in EU. So for EU people: heres an alternative.

Its still waiting in the trunk for install though.
      02-21-2022, 09:09 PM   #8
KawiZ4
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, got a decent start on it tonight. got it up in the air, removed air filter house, snorkel, etc and got a good look at the front of the motor. my timing is good, i'm glad i didn't start driving this before i got into it. the front of the motor is soaked. 2 cans of brake fluid later it's pretty clean. i don't know how much the PO took care of it other than a few shop invoices, so i think i better flush the coolant too. who knows if it's original..
WNY weather is finally letting up a bit so i'll head out there a few times this week and keep removing parts. For the intake, won't i still need to replace the O-rings even without taking it off completely? IF the serpentine belt was OK before i sure did a number on it with all the coolant/oil i dumped on it so i better figure on one as well. Is there a recommended belt, or one to stay away from people go with on these? the one on there is a Conti tech PK1470. it looks (looked) good, no cracks, etc.
The car has 63k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

WNY? Where do you live? I’m in Rochester.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:03 AM   #10
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiZ4 View Post
For the intake, won't i still need to replace the O-rings even without taking it off completely?
I think the correct way is to replace intake manifold gaskets aswell.
I didnt, because mine were recently replaced during carbon cleaning job. And it was fine.
Repair manual on the other hand says to replace them.
      02-22-2022, 05:52 PM   #11
KawiZ4
United_States
Rep

Thanks again guys, going to take tonight to build a good BOM for parts, and try to get everything in hand. glad i re-read about the 2 oil cooler O-Rings, might have forgotten to get those. I'm also Rochester area (East of).
So far working on this has been nice. Coming from my Cayman things are still "German", i joke with people the Germans must always run out of Screws/Bolts. one part always seems to have 3 bolts of one size, and they always throw in one off-size to screw with you.. Then there's the Hex heads/T-sockets/E-**/Allens.. ugh.

Last edited by KawiZ4; 03-06-2022 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:34 PM   #12
KawiZ4
United_States
Rep

Thanks again for the help on this guys. Made great progress today and got most things put back together. changed intake o-rings, serpentine belt, cleaned the engine best i could. worst part was getting the intake in/out. i could have just loosened it but figured since i loosened it, the o-rings were now compromised. for anyone reading this, FCP Euro has a nice BOM for the parts needed. I'd add a throttle body o-ring to my order too. Make sure to clean your mating surfaces very well!. Some dope that looks just like me threw out my oil filter cap/cover when i took it off and let it sit in the garbage can full of rags to drip.. So i ordered another which will come Tuesday. put in about 6.5 qts of oil and waiting for the cap will give me some time to step back and look through things since this car is so new to me.

Last edited by KawiZ4; 03-06-2022 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:48 PM   #13
KawiZ4
United_States
Rep

Pics of job

Don't forget to change out the 2 o-rings on the lines going into the oil cooler. i couldn't find mine until i realized they stuck in the oil cooler.

Attachment 2828896

Attachment 2828897

Attachment 2828898

Attachment 2828899

Attachment 2828900

Attachment 2828901

Attachment 2828902

Attachment 2828903

Attachment 2828904

Attachment 2828905
Attached Images

Appreciate 0