New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #23
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebus View Post
It depends what U (...and I) mean w/ "quality"... something that does never break/fail?... something that has very low percentage of fails?... something whose materials are better than most others competitors?... for these 3, then BMW doesn't seem better than the most part of the automotive manifacturers.

Not JUST my personal taste... a digital cluster is something that is more subject to break/fail/malfunction... and who has bought a M2 LCI recently knows what does it means... same for a transmission 'cos an automatic transmission is more prone to break than a manual one... when a maker choose digital vs analog the reason is cost savings.
By quality I mean fit and finish. Leather, seats, trim etc. I would consider your definition of quality as "reliability" on issues of "break/fail". In my previous 2 F25s, I had some issues with quality and they were reliable...but I also lease, so it is not the same as a long term owner. The G01 M40i is a evolutionary step forward from the F25 in terms of quality.

I prefer the simple aesthetics of BMWs over most competitors. Reliability on new platforms remains to be seen. I preferred the the digital cluster because I liked it (and it's customization) and did not care that it cost more. That's my personal taste. If you don't like it and think it is useless, don't pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebus View Post
Having parkin' mine aside the 5 series I can tell (again) that the 5 series has just lower height and ground clearance than a X5... just this... others dimensions are 'bout the same, that makes the 5 series big, really big...

(L x W x H)

4886 x 1938 x 1762 (X5)
4942 x 1868 x 1498 (5 series touring)
4708 x 1891 x 1676 (X3)

...if numbers worth something.
Yes...numbers are worth a lot. You used the 5 series touring in comparing its size to an X5. The 5er touring is 10mm longer and 20 mm higher then the saloon. We all know it is a whale...nothing new there...but a much more nimble whale than an X5. So your point is what? Why did you buy an X5 (unless you obviously needed the space and riding height) and then complain the 5er is too big?

As far as BMW technology goes...pay for what you want and use it how you wish...or go buy another brand that checks all your boxes. There is plenty of competition.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 11:08 PM   #24
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Maybe I missed it, but did it say anywhere how this increase affected profits? Because, selling more could result in losing more.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #25
jakebarrell
Jake Barrell
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Good to know...we kind of saw this coming, didn't we?
I am not surprised by this as BMW has always been focusing on their M Series over the other series.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #26
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
we need stronger residuals
incentives have been nice though, def has been helping
100% agreed
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10771.50
      12-16-2017, 05:30 AM   #27
rebus
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
By quality I mean fit and finish. Leather, seats, trim etc. I would consider your definition of quality as "reliability" on issues of "break/fail". In my previous 2 F25s, I had some issues with quality and they were reliable...but I also lease, so it is not the same as a long term owner. The G01 M40i is a evolutionary step forward from the F25 in terms of quality.
I'm referring, at least in this case/discussion, to "quality" as parameter to measure not only materials used for the interiors and their assembly but also mechanical aspects and how these, interiors and mechanical aspects, are "premium" or not and if they are as the other "premium" competitors.

Quote:
I prefer the simple aesthetics of BMWs over most competitors. Reliability on new platforms remains to be seen. I preferred the the digital cluster because I liked it (and it's customization) and did not care that it cost more. That's my personal taste. If you don't like it and think it is useless, don't pay for it.

I prefer too the design "language" of (most of) BMW models... regarding digital cluster, it's underwhelming, and it's customizable as much as an iPhone (!)... having a digital "thing" that does what an analogue one does it's a "thing" w/o a sense... just as an object that U desire but it's inside a unbreakable shrine... U can just watch it but U can't interact w/ that and so almost useless and frustrating.

I wouldn't chose/pay if I know BEFORE what it could do and what it could not do... but I have no will to watch hundreds of video on YT for ev'ry single car feature I'm interested in buying 'cos then it's not a pleasure to buy a car but it becomes a "work"... and U must have too the chance to find that video that explain exactly how that feature/part of car works... it's just too complicated... I trusted BMW had implemented as I believe a "premium" carmaker should do... but that's not the case.

Quote:
Yes...numbers are worth a lot. You used the 5 series touring in comparing its size to an X5. The 5er touring is 10mm longer and 20 mm higher then the saloon. We all know it is a whale...nothing new there...but a much more nimble whale than an X5. So your point is what? Why did you buy an X5 (unless you obviously needed the space and riding height) and then complain the 5er is too big?
Well, a X5 is not a saloon, so it's 5 series comparative model/variant is the wagon... I'm enough satisfied how X5 w/ comfort and dynamic suspensions reacts in corners... it's not as nimble as 3 series before the F30 but it's good for "playing" w/ its power/torque when U want drive w/ spirited way.

I bought X5 for space and aestethics and practicality (...ground clearance is important and not only for offroad paths... on B-road and even on urban areas U can have to do w/ some "obstacles" for which more ground clearance is necessary.

So my point is that if I had to reconsider if buying an X5 or a 5 series touring, I'd choose again the X5, for all the reasons I wrote in the previous posts and in this one.

Quote:
As far as BMW technology goes...pay for what you want and use it how you wish...or go buy another brand that checks all your boxes. There is plenty of competition.

It depends what U search as featurs/characteristic in a car... if U want a 6MT, RWD, >300 CV, then U have no much choices... a 340i saloon/sedan or a M2, at least in Italy... other carmakers don't offer a similar "package" or their price are just insane.

For the "take what U wish and leave the rest", read what I wrote above 'bout "U have to know before buying", and it's always possible to see w/ Ur eyes the car so U have to trust and order/built that blindfolded.
Appreciate 0