New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-31-2009, 02:23 AM   #45
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich4411 View Post
I find the "German built" vs "Japanese built" vs "American built" arguements interesting, with all the comments about quality and attention to detail, etc, considering EVERY Z4 built, even those cruising the Autobahn in Germany were built in Spartanberg County South Carolina, USA.
But you know that every Z3 and Z4 E85 built in the States was again quality checked and if necessary reworked in a plant in Germany for the European market. Plus the ability to drive fast on German highways does not come from the manufacturing quality but more from the engineering quality behind the product.

Come on guys, you can't compare the build quality of an existing model with a newly launched model. It is clear that in the first 12 months these type of quality problems occur - independent of the location where the car is manufactured.

There is also a chance that some of the rattle and noises come from faulty car preparation by your local dealer (somebody in the German forum spoke about sealing residual in the roof construction that if not cleaned correctly will become hard and can produce noise).

I have my E89 now since mid of May and have driven more than 9'000 km. I have no noise or rattle or other problem with the build quality whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 02:33 AM   #46
aheinz_71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich4411 View Post
Didn't know that. I wonder why they moved production back to the motherland? Quality hasn't seemed to improve any.
They are bundling the competence for the hard top roofs in the plant in Regensburg (close to the supplier Edscha which manufacturs these). This is the main reason.

Also the 3 Series convertible is being produced there.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #47
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I believed they moved the E89 production to Germany and moved the next X3 to SC for the popularity of X's in the US market.
Appreciate 0