New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #23
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I would like our Z to have prem sound.

That's the only option it doesn't have actually... that I can think of anyways
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #24
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
I actually did have a chance to do it all over again so to speak. I'm happy with my order after ordering the same car twice (doubled the waiting time). The first one I placed (2009 model) had DCT and all options checked (as I normally order my cars) same color combo but with extended leather. When it came in, I test drove it and walked away. A few times I felt a little lag in certain shift points in 1st and 2nd. My SA had me drive a 6-speed MT 335 coupe since they did not have avail for Z4 at the time. I fell in love with the 335i in manual. He suggested I place another Z4 order with 6-Speed (2010 build). This time I decided to go less on the options:

- 6-Speed MT
- Sport Package
- Heated Seats
- Navigation
- Comfort Access
- Alarm
- Smart Phone Integration for my iPhone

I convinced myself that having all options on a little 2 seater was not necessary. I ruled out premium package since you can't really recline the seats. I had selected premium sound on my order, then ended up calling my SA before the build to remove it as I heard my friend's non-premium sound on her 128i descent to my ears, and the fact that I'd rather save the $2k to go towards Dinan Stage 2 for my first mod. Not getting premium sound would probably be my only SLIGHT regret.
      05-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #25
braingirl
Rep
Drives: car

I'm confused..

You ordered a car, and test drove it afterwards??
Weren't you obliged to continue with the full purchase amount if it was built to order?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #26
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Here in the US, you are not obligated to buy if you are not completely satisfied for any reason. Is that not the case in the UK?? You can even back out during the build process If you change your mind all together. They still figure the car would sell. If the dealer requires a deposit of say $500, they are required to refund that too if customer changes their mind. In my case, due to my extensive relationship, deposits are not required when I order a car.

Last edited by flpnout; 05-04-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #27
braingirl
Rep

Well, I ordered my z4 with all the options. (not initially, but the long wait meant I kept adding after gauging general owners opinions and reading about various functions) in space grey/design White combo and 326Ms
I won't think of modding the car until the warranty period is over.

I had to place a deposit (about 10%) which I assumed was non-refundable.
It seems a bit crazy to me that a deposit to show interest in a product is fully refundable.
else what protects the vendor from timewasters?
It's the same principle with houses etc, so that people don't mess around.
For some custom orders (Eg personalised goods, bespoke furniture) full payment is often required in advance.

Of course, you still have rights that products should meet trade description and be fit for purpose. ..and you could walk away from a 100% perfect item if you forego the deposit.
The only thing I can think of is if you buy unseen with the proviso that you can hand it back no questions asked if you don't like DCT for example. But surely needs to be agreed in advance?

What if you order a lime green car with a purple interior?? and then walk away.

I may just be being naive of course.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #28
statZ4
Rep
Drives: BMW z4 sDrive 35i

I would get my car as is (everything but nav). I do wish BMW offered carbon brake system with cross drilled rotors...that's the only things this car is missing! But I think that would add a lot to the price (just based what ceramic brakes cost on other cars)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #29
braingirl
Rep

Question

Why do people tend to avoid the sat nav??

For me this was a no-brainer (plus is free on current z4s)

Does anyone ever regret not getting Internet or Tv options?

And yes, it would be nice to have some kind of 'competition' upgrade to give quad exhausts, upgraded brakes, sway bars, springs etc.
Maybe it didn't fit the demographic?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #30
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I agree, some more competition based elements would have been good.

The adaptive suspension might make the car handle better, but it does feel a bit weird through the seat of the pants. A more cometition-like set up without the electronic overrides would be my preference.

Non-run flats - I would option them from day one in hindsight, now I am too cheap to throw them away and will just buy non-run flats when it comes time to replace them.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #31
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingirl View Post
Why do people tend to avoid the sat nav??
I personally always avoid nav (if possible) because I don't like the idea of having something that will become obsolete faster/has less features/cannot be replaced but ironically cost more vs a portable unit. Some ppl don't like the look of a portable nav and prefer the nice lines of a built-in unit; I'm not concerned about that aspect.

Disclaimer: to nip the argument in the bud - we are all buying cars w/ costs upwards of C$70k+, so having/not having nav is not a money issue, it's a matter of principle and functionality for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #32
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

I had the same thought regarding sat nav initially. Why get something that offers less feature, and will be out of date in couple years. However, BMW knows that no one will get sat nav if it is truly just sat nav. So...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #33
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Well this is one of the main if not the reason why people in the US couldn't order from BMW Individual. It didn't matter how much money you had BMW simply refused to let a customer choose from the Individual program. I guess the thinking was that no matter how a customer might configure from the standard option list the dealer would still be able to sell the car since no really crazy options are available (lime green ext with purple interior etc). However, once you start using BMW Individual and start building a one off car that's a different story.

Then a few years ago BMW quietly allowed customers to at least pick from the BMW Individual exterior colors. But it was very hush hush and not all dealers knew it was even possible. You had to find a dealer willing to work with you. I'm pretty sure that nowadays US customers can order anything from the Individual program if they so choose. There was an article in Roundel last year about a guy that had BMW Individual build him his 650ci. Since he grew up in Hawaii he had them use beautiful Koa wood for the dash. Looked stunning.
Quote:
What if you order a lime green car with a purple interior?? and then walk away.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #34
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

I pretty much got a loaded 35i with DCT.

I would not get DCT if I were to order again. Don't get me wrong, it is great, but I think it will be a huge maintenance cost once out of warranty. Also, I kind of feel like I am robbing myself of one of the best manual transmissions out there.

I also ordered the car with 296 19" wheels. I think that was a mistake, the 19s with run flats are just too hard.

Comfort access is nice, I do enjoy not having to use the fob to open the doors and trunk. I also like not having to insert it into the car. I do think it should be standard on all BMWs though.

The adjustable suspension (part of the sport suspension or package I think) is great. The normal suspension is too soft or doesn't have enough travel, it bottoms out on bumps that really shouldn't have that problem.

iDrive is great, I would have it just for being able to store all of my music on the hard drive. I just wish it wasn't coupled with navigation.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 04:49 AM   #35
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I did ... as you know traded her in for the one I know will not let me down an M3.

Yes selling my e46 M3 was a Big Mistake ... all is done now I am happy again
think its time to go on another forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #36
parnassus
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Quote:
Well yes there was, the cost of getting good forged wheels would have been around $12k to $15K...
Rolf, only the best rims cost that sort of money, and the BMW competition rims do not fall into this category. Sure they're nice, but they're still cast and they aren't particularly light - I believe that the 19" models weigh 25lb. They also only cost around 3K. You DID get the Competition rims, didn't you? Else your rims might possibly weigh even more.

I was quoted only 7K for custom 19" forged rims, made to the Z4 offsets by ADV.1. These rims are far superior to OEM offerings, so much that I plan to put my money where my mouth is come June and order some myself.

My point is that you're purposely exaggerating the cost of new rims. You're also drumming up the superiority of your new M3's rims. Reality check: Not only are they not worth 12-15K, but they're not even forged!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #37
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Well yes there was, the cost of getting good forged wheels would have been around $12k to $15K then there was the premature tire wear due to the camber. Next there was the rattles and strange noises coming from the trunk and finally the limited trunk space.
Sounds like you got a lemon. Rare, but it happens with every model car. That was unfortunate.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 05-10-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #38
braingirl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Sounds like you got a lemon. Rare, but it happens with every model car. That was unfortunate.
i imagine that a model car would indeed drive quite badly.

As to cost of wheels...
in UK 313M are about £3500 for a set. ...converted to Canadian dollars probably is about $7000.
So if custom forged rims are about £7000, then I guess Canadian dollars might be around the figure mentioned??
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #39
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i imagine that a model car would indeed drive quite badly.
It would also have tiny trunk space.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #40
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Next there was the rattles and strange noises coming from the trunk and finally the limited trunk space.

Now mind you the Z4 is a wonderful car all around and great fun, I loved the twin turbo the power etc.
You are (insert compliment), but you (insert derogatory remark)

You are a wonderful guy and a lot of fun, but your negative opinions on the Z4 are growing on our nerves.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #41
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Sorry Rolf, I have to agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #42
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

I sadly agree with the others Rolf, move on. Clearly a 2 seat roadster was not a good option for you to begin with. Our roadsters require compromises but have a lot more to offer than a typical sedan/2 door coupe however sporty that car is. For you the M3 might be divine, but for the rest of us that car is a totally different lifestyle and driving philosophy and cant match the feeling that a convertible/roadster provides. I appreciate your effort to enlighten us with the reasoning of your choice, but everyone has different needs.
I had a 296 cracked wheel too, but all it took was 50 euro and 45 minutes in a wheel repair center and thats it. Problem solved and never experienced such an issue so far.
      05-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #43
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Ya, I would say that it seems Rolf got a raw deal due to his (mis)treatment by BMW re the 296 fiasco, but why not ditch the whole brand if it was so upsetting? Stuff like roof noises, I rarely hear in my car and if I do in that rare occasion, it's to be expected w/ all those moving parts: it's a convertible w/ rubber seals joining the various parts, so it's not going to be 100% perfectly silent 100% of the time. Re trunk space, it's subjective: for me, it's my only car and I have absolutely no prb doing groceries and running my various errands - my only prb was when I wanted to buy some IKEA furniture and obviously couldn't use the car.

I'm sure Rolf thought it through when he got the Z4 (heck, didn't he get 2 of them at diff times?), so comments about trunk space really is a head-scratcher. It still seems like an over-reaction to me that Rolf traded in the entire car just because of those dreaded 296 when the simple solution would be just to ditch those for better wheels. Oh well.
Appreciate 0