New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
auckland
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4 2.3sDrive

Z4 s Drive roof issue problem

anyone else having a problem with clicking/cracking noise when operating the roof

I bought my z4 sDrive 2.3i new in October 2009 It made a click noise (cracking), not very loud which I took to have investigated. After several weeks the dealership could find not reason for the click then later said it was a problem with the mechanism. I have always operated the roof correctly and have never stowed items incorrectly. Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by auckland; 04-23-2011 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: roof clicking/cracking noise
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
MikeChrista
Private
Rep
Drives: SDRIVE35i Space Grey

Not me.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

If it doesnt give you an error on the display then the mechanism probably needs lubrication, not a big deal.
      04-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I heard a loud 'crack' and later discovered that a 'plastic washer' broke off. You can see it here circled (viewed from front to back from the left side of the car, I think it's the rear window section, you'll have to stop the roof mechanism midway to check out the insides. Be careful, parts could still move even though you stopped it); I had the broken part replaced and no more prbs, so it was just a faulty/weak part for me. Before I fixed it, I could still use the roof w/o prbs and I didn't hear any clicking noises.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auckland View Post
anyone else having a problem with clicking/cracking noise when operating the roof

I bought my z4 sDrive 2.3i new in October 2009 It made a click noise (cracking), not very loud which I took to have investigated. After several weeks the dealership could find not reason for the click then later said it was a problem with the mechanism. I have always operated the roof correctly and have never stowed items incorrectly. Anyone else had this problem?
Yes unfortunately, it is a convertible after all there are many links in this roof mechanism. All are susceptible to the coefficient of expansion (heat and cold temperatures are the cause of it all). Perhaps your friendly service advisor can grease everything and some of the noise will go away.

I still think I had a cricket over wintering in my former Z4 or she left some young ones behind

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
auckland
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I heard a loud 'crack' and later discovered that a 'plastic washer' broke off. You can see it here circled (viewed from front to back from the left side of the car, I think it's the rear window section, you'll have to stop the roof mechanism midway to check out the insides. Be careful, parts could still move even though you stopped it); I had the broken part replaced and no more prbs, so it was just a faulty/weak part for me. Before I fixed it, I could still use the roof w/o prbs and I didn't hear any clicking noises.
Hi Tranquility, Could you send me a jpg of the picture re broken washer in roof mechanism of your z4. I want to send this to the dealership.
email at soarerman2002@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance. great car other wise eh. Cheers Ian
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Not yet. But I trust a good maintenance should keep these kind of problems away...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by auckland View Post
Hi Tranquility, Could you send me a jpg of the picture re broken washer in roof mechanism of your z4. I want to send this to the dealership.
email at soarerman2002@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance. great car other wise eh. Cheers Ian
Here you go. If it was not broken, it's supposed to look like a ring (hollow in centre). I think that there are supposed to be 8 of these, 4 on each side (2 pairs/side).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
auckland
Registered
Rep

cheers Auckland
Appreciate 0