New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #45
goaljnky
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 S Drive 3.5 IS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

I never get that. I have a friend who thinks my Z4 is a chick car. Of course he thinks his 91 Prelude is the shizzle. Bellowing smoke and leaking oil et al. I've had people call my Minis chick cars. Usually right after they would underestimate one and have their arse handed to them. For the most part I think it comes from those who either can't afford one, or are not happy with their vehicular decisions.
goaljnky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #46
nicknaz
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2012 Z4 35i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 3,923
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaljnky View Post
I've had people call my Minis chick cars.
The track enthusiast in me wants to agree it is not, but......
nicknaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #47
cool4re
New Member
 
cool4re's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 sDrive 35is
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Not a chick car with twin turbo and 7 speed dual clutch transmission. More low end torque than ANY Porsche (I've had numerous), actually more low end torque than most any car period. Nobody that owns one cares what anyone thinks in my opinion! I think my sDrive35is is a perfect daily driver, and its my second one since 2011. In L.A. I don't think I ever saw a women driving a new Z4.
__________________
Jim B/Glendale CA
2013 Z4 sDRIVE 35is Melbourne Red
2002 Ferrari Modena, 2006 Lotus Sport Elise
cool4re is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #48
Asbjorn
Lieutenant
 
Asbjorn's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS twin-turbo roadster (E89)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: European in China

Posts: 560
iTrader: (0)

When I was driving home top down last night I was reminded again why people call the Z4 a chick car.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE3Nzc2OTY4.html

I had already beforehand decided to take this turn in a spirited way, so that is why I was unable to respond more like a gentleman...

PS yes, its legal to turn right on red lights in China, and no, I really have absolutely no idea who those girls in the taxi were. But I remember I was overtaken by the same taxi a few minutes earlier.
__________________
Little known facts about BMW: 1) The N54 is still in production and used in the current Z4 35i and 35is. 2) In a Z4 you can get sport+ steering combined with normal suspension etc by selecting DSC=off. (Update: DSC=off also offers sports steering in the M135i) 3) All Z4s with 19" wheels are still only offered with the worst performing OEM tires ever sold with a DCT equipped BMW (Potenza RE 050 RFT).
Asbjorn is offline   China
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #49
Gunzaro
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Speed Racer
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In transit

Posts: 292
iTrader: (0)

That's it, China here I come...
Gunzaro is offline   Cyprus
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #50
scoop2365
New Member
 
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 2.5
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sothern Ontario Canada

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Fantastic

I am a first time owner of a 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster and I love my car.This video is fantastic and being German I am proud to own this fantastic machine.
Cheers from Canada
scoop2365 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #51
R1robot
Private First Class
 
R1robot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas

Posts: 111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
When I was driving home top down last night I was reminded again why people call the Z4 a chick car.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE3Nzc2OTY4.html

I had already beforehand decided to take this turn in a spirited way, so that is why I was unable to respond more like a gentleman...

PS yes, its legal to turn right on red lights in China, and no, I really have absolutely no idea who those girls in the taxi were. But I remember I was overtaken by the same taxi a few minutes earlier.
BUU! HAA! HAWWW! hahahaha i'm dying here, my sides hurt. I've had a girl once laugh at me but she was on ford ranger and her boyfriend looked like a redneck version of one of the cast members of Jersey Shore. A bit disappointing but these things are laughable considering how damn competent this car is on difficult twisting roads. Ultimately, any car is a chicks car if word gets around enough.

I've had a friend who raised her F250 from stock height and do just about every manly mod just to add a decal "This is a chicks car" in hot pink as well as a few other feminine decals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshifter69 View Post
Its not a chick car! It's the sportiest looking BMW in the line-up.
Can anyone else in Germany confirm thats how you get treated for driving a convertible? I've had people tailgate me before on an E85 or any sporty car I've owned for that matter. But i've never had anyone mouth me off as this guy explained in his video.
R1robot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #52
Mick70
Private
 
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1robot View Post
Can anyone else in Germany confirm thats how you get treated for driving a convertible? I've had people tailgate me before on an E85 or any sporty car I've owned for that matter. But i've never had anyone mouth me off as this guy explained in his video.
In certain regions, you will find a kind of "class enemy" envy, yes. So we encounter e.g. an increasing number of allegedly "politically motivated" envy scratches and car fires, typically performed by some cowards deep at night - not even restricted to expensive cars. So I am quite happy with my garages both at home and at work.

But open hate is very rare. I am commuting 30km to Freiburg on a daily basis - this city in southern Germany is considered as one of the politically leftmost German cities and the only thing that ever happend was a pizza hitting my windscreen.

Best regards

Mick
Mick70 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #53
VailM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

Posts: 544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
In certain regions, you will find a kind of "class enemy" envy, yes. So we encounter e.g. an increasing number of allegedly "politically motivated" envy scratches and car fires, typically performed by some cowards deep at night - not even restricted to expensive cars. So I am quite happy with my garages both at home and at work.

But open hate is very rare. I am commuting 30km to Freiburg on a daily basis - this city in southern Germany is considered as one of the politically leftmost German cities and the only thing that ever happend was a pizza hitting my windscreen.

Best regards

Mick
A pizza? Really though a Z4 is not a car I would be jealous of or even point out wow on the road. Maybe because I live in Geneva and before that Singapore where supercars are VERY common. This coming from a 35iS owner. I like my Z4 but do not think its anything that special.

As for chick car, I have only seen a few here 3 or 4 and each time it was driven by a guy. I don't have the impression its a girls car.
VailM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #54
morfinx
Shenanigans
 
morfinx's Avatar
 
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 1,219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
When I was driving home top down last night I was reminded again why people call the Z4 a chick car.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE3Nzc2OTY4.html

I had already beforehand decided to take this turn in a spirited way, so that is why I was unable to respond more like a gentleman...

PS yes, its legal to turn right on red lights in China, and no, I really have absolutely no idea who those girls in the taxi were. But I remember I was overtaken by the same taxi a few minutes earlier.
That's interesting as I've just spent 2 week vacationing in China (Shanghai and Nanjing). I've noted a few peculiarities:

- For BMW, Audi, and MB, I generally only see lower trims in a given series. I rarely see the top trim model. For example, I saw a lot of 320i and some 328i, but I don't recall seeing a single 335i. I wonder if it's tax related.

- Nearly all of them are stretched versions instead of the normal version. For example, 320Li, A4L, C200L. None of them are available in the US.

- I did not see a single Z4 until the very last last day in Shanghai, when I've basically given up hope. Then I saw in the distance an Alpine White E89, either a 23i, 28i, or 30i. I nearly shed a single tear of joy!

- BMWs are about 2x the price in China compared to US. A 2013 335Li is about 600k RMB, which at the exchange of close to 6 to 1, is close to $100k USD.

- I did see a lot of Mini's. Apparently those are pretty popular.
__________________
E89 Z4 sDrive35i 7DCT "Zayna", Alpine White/Coral Red
E92 335i 6MT "Calixta", Space Grey/Coral Red [Retired]

morfinx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #55
Asbjorn
Lieutenant
 
Asbjorn's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS twin-turbo roadster (E89)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: European in China

Posts: 560
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
That's interesting as I've just spent 2 week vacationing in China (Shanghai and Nanjing). I've noted a few peculiarities:

- For BMW, Audi, and MB, I generally only see lower trims in a given series. I rarely see the top trim model. For example, I saw a lot of 320i and some 328i, but I don't recall seeing a single 335i. I wonder if it's tax related.

- Nearly all of them are stretched versions instead of the normal version. For example, 320Li, A4L, C200L. None of them are available in the US.

- I did not see a single Z4 until the very last last day in Shanghai, when I've basically given up hope. Then I saw in the distance an Alpine White E89, either a 23i, 28i, or 30i. I nearly shed a single tear of joy!

- BMWs are about 2x the price in China compared to US. A 2013 335Li is about 600k RMB, which at the exchange of close to 6 to 1, is close to $100k USD.

- I did see a lot of Mini's. Apparently those are pretty popular.
You are right. A new Z4 35i is almost 900k RMB including tax. And I have yet to see another one in China. There are some 23i and 30i but not many.

Since the fuel prices here are similar to those in the US, I believe the reason people do not buy higher trims is prestige. If you can afford a luxury 135 you will get a base 320 instead... and so on.

Because then you say you drive a BMW something-higher-series and people will never ask if its a 520 or 535 for example. I am over-joyed when I spot a 1M, 335 or 760 for that matter. They are so rare. Oh and, 3-series coupes and 6-series coupes are extremely rare as well.

Its the same with the Z4. People will note that you drive a Z4 and they can't tell the difference between a 23i and 35i even if the price difference is 200k RMB. To me, this is a good thing, but to most Chinese, that is not a good thing.
__________________
Little known facts about BMW: 1) The N54 is still in production and used in the current Z4 35i and 35is. 2) In a Z4 you can get sport+ steering combined with normal suspension etc by selecting DSC=off. (Update: DSC=off also offers sports steering in the M135i) 3) All Z4s with 19" wheels are still only offered with the worst performing OEM tires ever sold with a DCT equipped BMW (Potenza RE 050 RFT).
Asbjorn is offline   China
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #56
morfinx
Shenanigans
 
morfinx's Avatar
 
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 1,219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
You are right. A new Z4 35i is almost 900k RMB including tax. And I have yet to see another one in China. There are some 23i and 30i but not many.

Since the fuel prices here are similar to those in the US, I believe the reason people do not buy higher trims is prestige. If you can afford a luxury 135 you will get a base 320 instead... and so on.

Because then you say you drive a BMW something-higher-series and people will never ask if its a 520 or 535 for example. I am over-joyed when I spot a 1M, 335 or 760 for that matter. They are so rare. Oh and, 3-series coupes and 6-series coupes are extremely rare as well.

Its the same with the Z4. People will note that you drive a Z4 and they can't tell the difference between a 23i and 35i even if the price difference is 200k RMB. To me, this is a good thing, but to most Chinese, that is not a good thing.
Good analysis! It's interesting to see the cultural dynamics at play. I did see one 535i on the highway I think. But you are right, I did not see any 3-series coupes.
__________________
E89 Z4 sDrive35i 7DCT "Zayna", Alpine White/Coral Red
E92 335i 6MT "Calixta", Space Grey/Coral Red [Retired]

morfinx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #57
Paul S
New Member
 
Drives: 35i M sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex UK

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Hi Guys. We picked up our 35i M Sport in January and it's great fun. I should probably say that it's registered in my wife's name, so technically, in our case it is a "chick's car"! (But all our previous "fast cars" have been registered that way.) We traded in an Audi RS4 cab for the car and are glad we did although do miss the old V8 a bit.
Anyway, I'm what I guess is a pretty average 5 foot 9 inches and there's not that much spare seat movement to accommodate a larger driver I don't think. I'd guess that 6 footers would feel a bit cramped - is that true? We've previously owned similar sized cars: TVR Chimaeras and a TVR Tuscan S and both of these had seat adjustment to spare. (Probably helped a bit by the moveable pedal box.)
Paul S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #58
CeEl
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: not too bad
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

I am 6 feet 1 inch and I am quite comfortable even on long trips - in the driver's seat. I can't seem to get comfortable in the passenger seat. Always just not quite enough leg room or knee room.
CeEl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #59
Asbjorn
Lieutenant
 
Asbjorn's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS twin-turbo roadster (E89)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: European in China

Posts: 560
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I am 6 feet 1 inch and I am quite comfortable even on long trips - in the driver's seat. I can't seem to get comfortable in the passenger seat. Always just not quite enough leg room or knee room.
+1

the passenger seat is for someone who wears high heels...
__________________
Little known facts about BMW: 1) The N54 is still in production and used in the current Z4 35i and 35is. 2) In a Z4 you can get sport+ steering combined with normal suspension etc by selecting DSC=off. (Update: DSC=off also offers sports steering in the M135i) 3) All Z4s with 19" wheels are still only offered with the worst performing OEM tires ever sold with a DCT equipped BMW (Potenza RE 050 RFT).
Asbjorn is offline   China
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #60
jpwolfe31
Private
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

I am 6' 6" and can squeeze in with an inch of headroom. Of course, I prefer the top down. I have not noticed a difference side to side.

The only issue I have noticed is that the mirror is rather low and blocks the view a bit more than in other cars.
jpwolfe31 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #61
CeEl
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: not too bad
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 303
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
+1

the passenger seat is for someone who wears high heels...
Ok, will try that the next time, thanks for the tip!
CeEl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST