New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #45
psytse
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

I've put the TMC box into this car and have noticed a big difference. Performed a dyno before and after which shows a 51bhp increase. What's more impressive is that peak torque is 270 lb/ft which is more than the standard 28i. Strongly recommend this for anyone looking for a power hike. Been running for nearly 2 months now with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #46
castilla
Private
1
Rep
76
Posts

 
Drives: w
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: tr

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psytse View Post
I've put the TMC box into this car and have noticed a big difference. Performed a dyno before and after which shows a 51bhp increase. What's more impressive is that peak torque is 270 lb/ft which is more than the standard 28i. Strongly recommend this for anyone looking for a power hike. Been running for nearly 2 months now with no issues.
can you post a link about this product ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #47
Voytek
Private
2
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 20i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo1 View Post
Look at these:
The first one (Speed Buster) has the same increase of the kelleners (which costs about 1900€) but this one is much cheaper.
http://www.speed-buster.de/en/chiptu...ps/a-10109573/

The second one is the cheapest and it increases the power to 260 ps and the torque to 336 nm
http://www.dieseltuning.de/Tuning-fo...204_17297.html

Pretty nice, isn't it?
The 260bhp sounds pretty good in my ears. Any experience with this company? Would you actually recommend me chipping my car? I drive about 3000 km's / month and I really want my engine to be reliable.

Also, the engine is similar but don't you think it would kill the clutch in my 20i with all the extra torque? 28i has same clutch and gear ratio?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #48
psytse
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by castilla View Post
can you post a link about this product ?
Purchased from here.

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #49
psytse
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Z4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voytek View Post
The 260bhp sounds pretty good in my ears. Any experience with this company? Would you actually recommend me chipping my car? I drive about 3000 km's / month and I really want my engine to be reliable.

Also, the engine is similar but don't you think it would kill the clutch in my 20i with all the extra torque? 28i has same clutch and gear ratio?
I had done about 4000 miles on my car when I added the chip. The clutch, gearbox and entire drivetrain on the 20i will have no issues as ALL parts are identical with that in the 28i. The only mechanical difference is that the 28i has slightly larger front disks. This has been verified on other forums and via http://realoem.com/bmw/ .
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #50
Voytek
Private
2
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 20i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psytse View Post
I had done about 4000 miles on my car when I added the chip. The clutch, gearbox and entire drivetrain on the 20i will have no issues as ALL parts are identical with that in the 28i. The only mechanical difference is that the 28i has slightly larger front disks. This has been verified on other forums and via http://realoem.com/bmw/ .
I'm really in doubt.. I find it very hard to find reviews of dieseltuning.de

I would really love to have the 260bhp box from them since it is still a pretty big difference with 220bhp and I would love to have similar power to the 28i...

I also read some stuff that powerboxes in general are very bad for the engine? They would give problems with engine durability in the long run while chip tuning in general doesn't since the tune is optimized for your own specific engine while powerboxes are 1 tune for a all

Last edited by Voytek; 01-16-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:16 AM   #51
sebbelcher
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I am keenly watching this thread, I've just ordered a 2.0i and I too noticed that the engines specs are identical, it's great to hear that the parts are identical too - some real possibilities here without much risk as we know the 28i can support the extra torque/pressures stock.

Must be in the software, and software is open to abuse

I would love to get the stock engine map for the 28i and apply it to the 20i - is that even a possibility with a bit of coding knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #52
Keeperlit
Enlisted Member
Keeperlit's Avatar
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 Sdrive20i M Sport 2013
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NIreland

iTrader: (0)

Tmc Motorsport is located around 5 miles from me. I know the guy personally and he has remapped or installed tuning boxes to 4 of my previous cars. These products are top notch. I have just taken delivery of a 20i msport z4 and having just came out of a 3.0d A5 I am really impressed with the stock car.

I'm running it in gently for the first 1000 miles and then fitting my tmc box which takes minutes to do. You can turn the power setting up but I recommend keeping it at 5. Ill keep you posted once I fit it.

To be honest I am really impressed with the stock 20i so far. The low down torque allows the car to pull effortlessly from early revs, it feels fast and revs freely. I've had m3 e46s and 30d 5 series....this car will definitely provide me with as much fun at a fraction of the running cost.

I have the 8 speed auto with paddles, one of the best auto boxes I have driven. Much smoother than the old smg2 in my m3.

All I can say is 3 weeks in and I'm loving my first z, it has a great personality...looks awesome...gets plenty of stares, and its just down right fun........bit like its owner
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #53
sebbelcher
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

What exactly does the TMC box do? Is it actually an engine remap, or does it intercept and manipulate the signals between the ECU and the engine/sensors 'live'?

My concern with the boxes is that if you have a major smash (or even an average one), its going to be pretty hard to hide that bright red box from the insurance company unless you can get into the car and rip it out before it's towed away (which would be hard if you're in an ambulance!). You can kiss goodbye to any cover from them if they find that and find yourself in a pretty sticky legal situation.

Is it possible to remap the engine 'natively' by reprogramming the ECU, or is that well locked down on the BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #54
Keeperlit
Enlisted Member
Keeperlit's Avatar
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 Sdrive20i M Sport 2013
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NIreland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbelcher
What exactly does the TMC box do? Is it actually an engine remap, or does it intercept and manipulate the signals between the ECU and the engine/sensors 'live'?

My concern with the boxes is that if you have a major smash (or even an average one), its going to be pretty hard to hide that bright red box from the insurance company unless you can get into the car and rip it out before it's towed away (which would be hard if you're in an ambulance!). You can kiss goodbye to any cover from them if they find that and find yourself in a pretty sticky legal situation.

Is it possible to remap the engine 'natively' by reprogramming the ECU, or is that well locked down on the BMWs?
Totally agree with u, last thing you want to think about is a tuning box while you are in the back of an ambulance! Two choices, either inform your insurer or take a risk.

Tmc tuning boxes offer multi channel technology manipulating signals sent from the ecu to things like the boost pressure or camshaft position sensor so they act like a remap without the need to plug into the diagnostic port. Advantage is they do not leave a footprint on your cars ecu, whereas a remap will ie it will tell a bmw technition that it was accessed on a specific date therefore letting bmw know the car has been tampered with. This is not a problem if you are out of warranty but I would not remap a car still in warranty.

A tuning box will not leave a footprint and can be easily removed hence no warranty issues, but to counter that your insurer may not be happy.

My advice for what it's worth is get a price from your insurer if it works great, if not leave it be and enjoy the car as it is.

My car is a stock sdrive 20i and its plenty fun!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #55
sebbelcher
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Keeperlit,

I'm sure my 20i will be more than exciting enough for me stock (when it finally arrives!) but the thought of 50 extra horses for 300 is so incredibly tempting!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #56
Keeperlit
Enlisted Member
Keeperlit's Avatar
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 Sdrive20i M Sport 2013
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NIreland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbelcher
Thanks Keeperlit,

I'm sure my 20i will be more than exciting enough for me stock (when it finally arrives!) but the thought of 50 extra horses for 300 is so incredibly tempting!
No problem, as I said from my previous post I have the box from tmc but as I only have 800 miles on the car I haven't fitted it yet...ill keep you posted if I do. It's the same box I had in my Audi but Darren from tmc reprogrammed it for my new z and gave me the new connection cables for 65 pounds. He told me he ships dozens of these to Japan every week for the sdrive 20i and he has never had one problem. If you are ordering let me know as Darren may give a discount...what colour combo have you ordered for your new z?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #57
sebbelcher
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperlit View Post
No problem, as I said from my previous post I have the box from tmc but as I only have 800 miles on the car I haven't fitted it yet...ill keep you posted if I do. It's the same box I had in my Audi but Darren from tmc reprogrammed it for my new z and gave me the new connection cables for 65 pounds. He told me he ships dozens of these to Japan every week for the sdrive 20i and he has never had one problem. If you are ordering let me know as Darren may give a discount...what colour combo have you ordered for your new z?
Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely get in touch if I decide to get one!

I ordered a 20i M Sport automatic in Mineral White with Walnut interior and the 326 Alloys

Sadly got a 2 month wait up ahead Time seems to be slowing down!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #58
Keeperlit
Enlisted Member
Keeperlit's Avatar
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 Sdrive20i M Sport 2013
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NIreland

iTrader: (0)

That will be very tasty! I have sapphire black on Canberra with the 19 326s, auto msport, comfort pack and extended Bluetooth. For some reason I cannot upload photos from my iPhone otherwise id post some. I also opted for the walnut dash...have to say 3 weeks in one of the most enjoyable cars I've owned!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #59
twinturbo335Ci
Lieutenant
twinturbo335Ci's Avatar
Indonesia
7
Rep
588
Posts

 
Drives: E63 M6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 BMW M6  [4.00]
hey guys, i might be getting the z4 sDrive20 in the near future, and i was just wondering whether the car wil have the new white halo angel eyes or the same old yellow ones from the first E89 was released? thanks for the input guys.
__________________
08 BMW 335i E92 | Space Grey | Coral Red | Dinan Stage II | ZSP | ZPP | i-Drive | CA | Step w/ Paddle Shifters | Aero Lip | OEM M-tech Rear Bumper | Cyba Quad Diffuser | Cyba Quad Black Chrome Tips | Gloss Black Roof | Kerscher CF Splitter | CF M3 Hood | CF VIS Trunk | 20" Enkreuz H8R | KW V2 | LCI Tail Lights | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | 15% Tint | Debadged | Sold, but never will be forgotten |
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #60
sebbelcher
New Member
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335Ci View Post
hey guys, i might be getting the z4 sDrive20 in the near future, and i was just wondering whether the car wil have the new white halo angel eyes or the same old yellow ones from the first E89 was released? thanks for the input guys.
Depends entirely on what your dealer ordered and whether it is being built fresh or being shipped from stock somewhere. My purchase contract actually says "E89 Z4 sDrive20i Rdster N20 2.0i M Sp LCi SP AUTO" - the LCi bit there is the key, that's the facelift which includes the white/LED angel eye headlamps.

Otherwise you can guess from the production date, it seems from anecdotal evidence that LCi models started production this month for showroom models and next month for personal orders - so if your production date is in April, you can pretty much be certain that it will.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #61
twinturbo335Ci
Lieutenant
twinturbo335Ci's Avatar
Indonesia
7
Rep
588
Posts

 
Drives: E63 M6
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 BMW M6  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbelcher View Post
Depends entirely on what your dealer ordered and whether it is being built fresh or being shipped from stock somewhere. My purchase contract actually says "E89 Z4 sDrive20i Rdster N20 2.0i M Sp LCi SP AUTO" - the LCi bit there is the key, that's the facelift which includes the white/LED angel eye headlamps.

Otherwise you can guess from the production date, it seems from anecdotal evidence that LCi models started production this month for showroom models and next month for personal orders - so if your production date is in April, you can pretty much be certain that it will.
i see, thank you very much for your input. i have not placed an order yet, but i will in the next few months. i'm still making sure my local bmw dealership here in Indonesia will actually let me choose the options i want, because the z4s out here seems to be fairly basic, with almost no option at all. maybe because of the ridiculous tax here, costs almost 85,000 for just a basic z4 sdrive20.
__________________
08 BMW 335i E92 | Space Grey | Coral Red | Dinan Stage II | ZSP | ZPP | i-Drive | CA | Step w/ Paddle Shifters | Aero Lip | OEM M-tech Rear Bumper | Cyba Quad Diffuser | Cyba Quad Black Chrome Tips | Gloss Black Roof | Kerscher CF Splitter | CF M3 Hood | CF VIS Trunk | 20" Enkreuz H8R | KW V2 | LCI Tail Lights | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | 15% Tint | Debadged | Sold, but never will be forgotten |
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #62
freitas5
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive20i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeperlit View Post
No problem, as I said from my previous post I have the box from tmc but as I only have 800 miles on the car I haven't fitted it yet...ill keep you posted if I do. It's the same box I had in my Audi but Darren from tmc reprogrammed it for my new z and gave me the new connection cables for 65 pounds. He told me he ships dozens of these to Japan every week for the sdrive 20i and he has never had one problem. If you are ordering let me know as Darren may give a discount...what colour combo have you ordered for your new z?
Hi keeperlit, have you already installed your tunning box? If so, what's your feedback?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #63
Nezzy33
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: E89 Z4 28i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Reading through this topic is quite interesting. I have the 28i and have also wondered about tuning.

However, if all of the parts etc are exactly the same between the 20i/28i, why can't the 20i simply be tuned, theoretically, straight up to whatever the 28i can be tuned to? There should be no reason why this is not possible.

I have a sneaky suspicion that there is more to the larger 28i engine than BMW are letting on.

I'll be keeping an eye on this post with interest though.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #64
jaz4
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: z4 28i Msport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: england

iTrader: (0)

I am also keeping a close watch on this.

This is my 5th Z4 and last one was the 30i and now have the 28i Its only months old and dont want to do anything that might void warty. Worst still is insurance. My 1st zd needed 14K worth of work, I was not hurt but the car had major damage and was pulled out of a ditch (stupid driver pulled out infront of me, she was charged with dangerous driving) I would have had no time to pull the mod so could have lost the lot. I wonder if the loss adjuster poked around and even looked for a program remap?.

But that was my 1st.

The 4th zd hit a spade and did 2K worth of damage, again needing to be picked up and dumped at BMW I could have pulled the mod out but if it was a remap itwould be sitting there to be seen. Loss adjuster was not called in work was done and I dont think BMW would have cared so no issues with either a box or a remap.

I have seen several options around and dont know the best way to go

http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/TuningB...x?s=1507930253

http://burgertuning.com/N20_BMW_performance_Tuner.html

http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/b...80kw/index.php

So I will check with insurance first and
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #65
nicknaz
Brigadier General
United_States
52
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Z4 35i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Guys, any word on whether the N20 version of the 20i will have the same power as the N20 version of the 28i after chip tuning?

I have seen posts suggesting yes but haven't seen any dynos
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #66
Leon65
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

All,

Is there any news about the best solution tuning the sDrive20i?
Within a couple of weeks I got mine Z4 sDrive20i (LCI).
Because both the sDrive20i and sDrive28i uses the same N20 engine, extra horsepowers under the hood would be nice.

Last edited by Leon65; 08-12-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST