New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-08-2024, 09:36 PM   #1
Waftycrankers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89

Rear repeater fault

Hey all. The rear (left) repeater has failed on my 2013 E89. Started to intermittently not work a couple of weeks ago and now completely stopped. I understand it’s a sealed unit and have to change the complete unit? Is this right? Or can the strip be either replaced or repaired?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2024, 10:08 AM   #2
B21
Captain
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waftycrankers View Post
Hey all. The rear (left) repeater has failed on my 2013 E89. Started to intermittently not work a couple of weeks ago and now completely stopped. I understand it’s a sealed unit and have to change the complete unit? Is this right? Or can the strip be either replaced or repaired?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
If it’s a LCI E89 it’s a sealed unit..well it should be sealed ..water often gets in..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2024, 10:42 PM   #3
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

There are some videos out there, where sourceful people have taken light unit apart and fixed the led-s... but thats quite involved job...
Someone just shared one of those videos on one of the e89 facebook groups... cant find it right now... but im sure if you search enough you will find it...

Though i would not bother with any of it... Marelli rear lights arent mad expensive... just saw a new one for sale for less than 200 eur.... 180 something...
but with those... i recommend then changing both... there is a small difference in the red light tone from the original one. it not right away noticeable but if you know to look and search for it then... yes, not exactly the same... but if you change them both then no issues...
2009 35i DCT Havana brown with ivory white interior. Mods: Cobb stage 1+FMIC, Wagner EVO1 FMIC, BMS DCI, Forge DV-s, Masata Chargepipe, KW V3 suspension, M3 front control arms, Hardrace RTABS + balljoints, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2024, 03:49 PM   #4
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
There are some videos out there, where sourceful people have taken light unit apart and fixed the led-s... but thats quite involved job...
Someone just shared one of those videos on one of the e89 facebook groups... cant find it right now... but im sure if you search enough you will find it...

Though i would not bother with any of it... Marelli rear lights arent mad expensive... just saw a new one for sale for less than 200 eur.... 180 something...
but with those... i recommend then changing both... there is a small difference in the red light tone from the original one. it not right away noticeable but if you know to look and search for it then... yes, not exactly the same... but if you change them both then no issues...
I think he’s talking about the repeater light on the wing of the car..?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2024, 11:01 PM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

hmm.. i thought he was talking about taillight indicator/turn signal led row. They also can fail over time or give up, throw errors intermittently.

If its a side indicator then LCI led units used to cost like 100+ eur a pair... dont know about pre-lci.. i have never had any issues with mine...
2009 35i DCT Havana brown with ivory white interior. Mods: Cobb stage 1+FMIC, Wagner EVO1 FMIC, BMS DCI, Forge DV-s, Masata Chargepipe, KW V3 suspension, M3 front control arms, Hardrace RTABS + balljoints, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 03:58 AM   #6
Waftycrankers
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
hmm.. i thought he was talking about taillight indicator/turn signal led row. They also can fail over time or give up, throw errors intermittently.

If its a side indicator then LCI led units used to cost like 100+ eur a pair... dont know about pre-lci.. i have never had any issues with mine...
Yes, my issue is with the rear indicator strip tail light cluster.
Works sometimes but most of the time not.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2024, 10:38 AM   #7
B21
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waftycrankers View Post
Yes, my issue is with the rear indicator strip tail light cluster.
Works sometimes but most of the time not.
New light cluster or in the UK there’s an eBay guy who repairs them…

Often you have to change both as they colour fade over time..
Appreciate 0