New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-22-2023, 10:00 PM   #1
screwynewy
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35is

Track day for the Z4

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not new to BMW's. I used to club race with BMW CCA but it's been about 15 years since I've been on track. I bought my 2013 Z4 35is DCT last November and have done all the bolt-on mods and running MHD stage 2 and xHP transmission tune stage 2.

I have signed up for a track day in April at VIR and was wondering if there is anyone with advice about things to watch out for or be careful about in the Z4. Obviously, I'm not W2W racing it but I don't want to tear it up while trying to have fun. I'll swap out the brake pads to Hawk DTC 70 and flush the brake fluid and cooling system. Any other recommendations or advice?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2023, 03:56 PM   #2
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Based on my days at Auto Club Speedway in my Z4 35i, watch those oil temps. I just ran an MHD stage 1 tune and it was borderline enough even on cooler days that my next mod was going to be upgrading the oil cooling system. ACS had long stretches of full throttle but at the same time it had plenty of very high speed sections that brought loads of cooling air through the radiators.

I'd recommend bringing your adapter along so you can go from stage 2 to stage 1 to reduce cooling system load if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 06:36 AM   #3
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

What bolt on mods have you done? That can make a big difference on whether you will have a nice long fun day or challenges with power, cooling, brakes, tire wear etc.

Are you driving or trailering your car?

I used to have a set up for suspension geometry, brake pads, tire pressures, new plugs, etc.

I do lower impact auto crosses these days

Great fun!
Appreciate 0