01-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #53
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
@teagueAMX, the comment about over boost. The 35is makes MORE POWER ALL THE TIME, PLUS over boost when needed. I think some people assume its 300hp, and the extra hp is only for a few seconds. No that is incorrect. It is more hp overall.
I fully understand your point and allow me to explain my comment regarding Overboost.

I've been posting a number of times over the years regarding the significance of torque number vs horsepower. Below is a post from 2010. IMO, for street purposes, horsepower figures are meaningless. However, most people in the performance automotive universe love to see great horsepower numbers and ignore torque figures. That's what hits a lot of wanna-be M3 fan boys right between the eyes.

They fall in love with the M3, its f1 style engine, great horsepower numbers (relatively poor torque numbers across the entire RPM range) and then they want to drive it daily. They soon realize you have to keep you foot in the go-peddle and maintain high RPMs all the time to truly enjoy the car. I've read a number of posts over the years of M3 newbies expressing disappointment with car. It's a hard lesson to learn.

On the other the N54 produces ample amounts of useable torque right off idle, which technically is above 900-1000 RPM to 1200 RPM. Plus it has excellent acceleration from low RPM's. So as a daily driver, and as a street-able high performance sports car IMO it is superior to the M3 (not talking track here.) So if we're talking street cars vs track cars, I couldn't care less about horsepower figures.

I've also included the M3 v8 power curve chart. It's metric so here are the torque conversion figures. So even though the m3's peak 295 lbsft torque appears to be comparable to n54, it's really not. The TT N54 hits its stride right out of the gate whereas the M3 doesn't reach the its peak until 3500 RPM, and has taken a lot heat over the years for that reason. This is why I focus on torque rather than horsepower.

Torque
191 @ 1100
206 @ 1500
247 @ 2000
263 @ 2500
280 @ 3000
295 @ 3500

BTW, a couple of notes concerning my chart which I produced back in 2010. Dinan did have his Stage III package out yet. I think I need to revisit the 35is HP and torque figures in my chart because they may be a little high. But you get the idea.

Cheers

Attached Images

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-05-2013 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0