Thread: Noobs
View Single Post
      09-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #393
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

The Hunt For Z4

As a long time BMW owner (1995 3 Series convertible) I thought after I sold my 'vert last summer, I would be ok without my much loved car in the garage going forward.
That seems to have been incorrect, as I am now searching for a roadster to fill that space.
I have never considered the Z4 before. The 1st Gen didn't do it for me, even though early on in my search I did consider it.
That was until I saw the 2nd Gen Z4, and now that decision is made.
Wonderful retractable hard top looks as good up or down, and that is rare my friends!

Because I will not buy a convertible in the summer, that has allowed me to explore the few used offerings that I can personally view and drive in my area.
I realize that this is a national search and I will probably need to do as much "homework" as I can in person because I will likely have to buy this car without actually driving/seeing it.

So, the first thing to do was drive both engines offered in 2009-2010, which I did.
The model I drove with the 35i had the 6 speed manual trans which was awesome.
The 30i had the basic 6 speed auto which was not very exciting, but still gave me the opportunity to explore the car further..

I felt I had to check out the iDrive system so that was a special trip.
Didn't drive the car (a 2011, and out of the price range, although I do see a glut of 2011s which are probably lease returns, on the market currently that are reasonably close to the 09-10s in price) but I did decide that it's iDrive or bust for me…being a sort of techie, I won't buy this car without it.

Here is the Master Wish List:
iDrive
35i
6 speed MT
Cold Weather
Under 40,000 miles
I like most of the colors…except probably white…but buying used means compromising.
I do not like the red interior, with the possible exception with white exterior…but, see above.
I think the 30i would probably suffice if other packages were there, and not a deal breaker for me.

It would be nice to have:
Sport Seats
DCT if the MT proves to be too rare…and it seems it might be.
Premium sound
$23-$27K

It would be great if there were owners here who might take the time to educate me on these points, and how your choices worked out as you shopped for your Z4.
Did you buy your used car sight unseen?
What sort of options were on your wish list and how did it ultimately work out for you...did you compromise at all?

Thanks for the time.
Appreciate 0