Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
I have my car listed here, Swapalease and Craigslist. Looking for other suggestions. For those that have done lease transfers is it common to offer incentives? I payed 1k over invoice so feel it was a decent deal.
You need to sell the car... it's the easier and faster route. Try finding a nice dealership that can consign the car for a faster sale.

If you had to make a few payments to get rid of it, why wouldn't u? It's equivalent to giving an incentive. Bottom line here is that every additional payment you make while you are trying to sell the car is pretty much a loss (especially since your under mileage).

I had no trouble doing this here in SoCal.
Only caveat to having dealer help you is they may want to make some money on the deal depending on your relationship with them. Some won't (mine didn't) but at the very least they will charge you around ~$200 for shop time to inspect the car. Since they will end up owning it, albeit for 5 mins, and selling to your buyer if anything happens the buyer can go after them, not you. For example your brakes are crap and unsafe and they sell him the car without checking it.

Other potential upside for buyer is taxes can be easier. Say your buyout is $35k and you agree to sell car for $30. You cut dealer a check for $5 and buyer just pays $30 and is in at the right number as far as the government is concerned. You don't need to gross up the $5k you're giving him for extra taxes he shouldn't be paying to begin with, and it's a non event for you since selling a car should have zero tax code sequences in the first place. Without the dealer involved as far as the government is concerned you two are basically buying the car together and sharing the taxes pro rata.
Appreciate 0