05-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #17
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Could you please elaborate why one car being longer or shorter has any real relevance?

Whether a SL being 10cm or 50cm longer than the Z4…. still makes it the same type of car (2 door roadster).
The Z4, SLK, SL, Boxster (among others, like the SLS Convertible and Miata) are are 2 seater roadsters.
While the 1 series is a 2+2 Coupe/convertible, and the 5 series is a 5 seater 4 door sedan.

Unfortunately, I still fail to see how comparing a 1er to a 5er is in anyway a similar comparison to a Z4 and SL? (or Z4 and SLK, or Boxster to Z4, etc)

I'm just trying to understand what what you were trying to convey simply due to my curiosity

Would you be able to import a car from the US for personal use and save on taxes?

And when you said " 5 seater 5-door hatchback here"

I assume you mean the 5 series Gran Turismo?
I'm unfamiliar with a 5 seater 1 series.
Alright, so am I saying that the Z4 is comparable to a 1-series and the SL to a 5-series as a driving/luxury experience? No, I hope it did not come across that way. I was just referring to the price (and size) difference.

Anyway, I assume you called the 5-series a 5 seater because they installed 5 pairs of seat belts in it. The same is true for the F20 1-series sold here. Yup, it actually has 3 seat belts in the back. Am I stretching things with my comparison? Yup, but at least we can agree they both belong to the class of non-roadsters which are inherently not comparable to either the SL or Z4 as driving experiences.

All I am saying, really, is that you bought a car which is about twice as expensive as the Z4 here in China. So your review is a bit misplaced here. Of course you never intended it to be, because most guys here are based outside China. I totally trust that you are right in comparing the cars where you live. I was just bringing in a different perspective for the fun of it. The perspective however NOT being that you bought the 5-series equivalent of a roadster (except price-wise, relative to certain 1-series).

Another example is the stingray which is also about twice as expensive as the Z4 here, but not so much in the US.
Appreciate 0